• Show
Clear All

read the wiki
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

i do like womens soccer

...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Yeah, but in all that they only have one ball. Look at all the money they save on jockstraps.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          fair call. You rarely see those spectacular shots where a QB or WR is left spinning in the air after a high hit in rugby.

As you say, the focus on tackling in rugby is on getting the man down and quickly back to your feet to play at the ball, since the rolling nature of play means the ball is moved on so quickly from the tackle. So hits tend not to be as brutal.

However, tackling is a much more serious business in Rugby League (the form you'd be familiar with is also known as Rugby Union) as a completed tackle does stop play. Rather than releasing the ball back for a teammate as in RU, the tackled man must stand and play the ball underfoot to a teammate in RL, giving the defending team time to reset their defense. You'll often see a player running at full speed to be met by 3 or 4 tacklers intent on hitting him so hard that the ball jars loose. But still, the tackler can pass to a team mate, so the tackler is conscious of the need to quickly get off his man and chase should the ball be offloaded.

If you had to be concerned with the tackled man offloading the ball to a runner in NFL, all tacklers couldn't commit to putting one man down, because stopping one man won't completely stop play.

I have to admit, I had a lot more fun playing Rugby, even at the lock position. Playing football at 6'3", I was bored silly as a TE in a running offense.

Comment

I like rugby and Aussie Rules Football, or whatever it's called. But, my POS cable doesn't show that. They show soccer players running around on a field where aliens have craved a message in an otherwise pristine pitch. "Pristine Pitch" that's a cool name for a band.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
              I like rugby and Aussie Rules Football, or whatever it's called. But, my POS cable doesn't show that. They show soccer players running around on a field where aliens have craved a message in an otherwise pristine pitch. "Pristine Pitch" that's a cool name for a band.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
              Many years ago I can remember seeing a combination of Australian rules football and Gaelic football on the TV, it seemed to be one long fight. It's a pity they don't do that anymore, it would be better than the shite that's on there these days!
              Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Those rings suck. And they are playing Soccer. And that sucks too.

Yeah,soccer sucks.Soccer=Sucker.Makes sense?
                I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

There seems to be an international difference of opinion about whether Football, Futball, Soccer sucks. Here is what sucks. All professional sports are riddled with corruption; graft; adulteration; organized crime; media events instead of sports; payola; fixed games; steriods; and it has taken all the fun out of watching it. And then there is NASCAR. I'm pissed at sports in general. The game is a "Game".
                  Last edited by fett; 04-30-2007, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Did I mention I love womens soccer?

...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

I remember reading an SRV inteview where he talked about jamming along to the tv while he was watching Aussie Rules. When the ball went to ground and the players were scrabbling for possession, he would play all this frenetic stuff. And when the ball was kicked long into the forward 50, he'd play a soaring bend. Basically responding to whatever was happening in the game.

Originally posted by shobet View Post
                      Many years ago I can remember seeing a combination of Australian rules football and Gaelic football on the TV, it seemed to be one long fight. It's a pity they don't do that anymore, it would be better than the shite that's on there these days!
                      They still do! 3 games a year. They pit a team of Aussie players vs an Irish team and play a modified version that combines Aussie Rules & Gaelic football and call it International Rules.

There have been a few Irishmen that have crossed over and been quite successful in the AFL over the years. Currently two young guys, a rookie & a second year player, and I believe Jim Stynes still holds the record for most consecutive games played.
                      Last edited by VitaminG; 04-30-2007, 07:40 PM.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

oh man thats funny!

cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X