Crate amps unappreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate amps unappreciation

Crate recently dropped the price on their crate shockwave head from 650 to 250 dollars.

That pisses me off.

In the past year, I've bought 2 of those amps at normal price.

So I paid about 800 dollars for both of them.

one was used and cost 350. So I paid 350 for a used amp that would be available for 250 NEW in a month... the used amp by the new price's standars would have only been worth about 150.

Not only did I over pay about $400, but the value of the amps I bought has significantly decreased. I'd be lucky to get 200$ each for them on the used market now.

how the fuck can Crate depreciate their customers like that?

Just goes to show you how gready companies are. They can cut $400 off the price of a 650 dollar amp, and still make enough profit to justify selling.

That low price had BETTER be because they are discontinuing them.

I have never even heard of that model. that sux though.

Comment

Ain't capitalism great? You buy new and fresh and pay retail. The minute you plug it in you cut the resale by half. Then the maker decides to discontinue that model and blow out what is left. Oh, that's because they just made a new and improved model that will sell at retail. That's the way it works. They sell new stuff. They don't give a shit about the others. And they really don't give a shit about you as a loyal owner.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
        They don't give a shit about the others. And they really don't give a shit about you as a loyal owner.
        Thats the AMERICAN way ain't it

Comment

it was alot worse in my home country of New Zealand. There isn't even any dealer competition, so they can sell whatever for however much they want.

Of course there are restrictions, but a Jackson JS30 series guitar would probably run close to 650 USD

Comment

I hear ya! I have an XT120R that I got used from Alvin Wilson in a trade for a Avatar 4x12 cab + 50 bucks from Alvin. New the Crate is $329, so I figured if I ever sold it, I could get at least $200. Well, they have a newer model and blew out the old one, so I'd be lucky to get $150 for it now. It sucks. I guess that's how it goes though, if you bought a Spider II at regular price you're getting screwed on re-sale now too.
            Last edited by jwoods986; 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM.
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Sales on it may be way off their forecast and there may be a glut of them on the market as a result. They may have dropped the price to reduce the inventory levels and also to start generating cash flow on the capital that is currently tied up in an item that isn't moving.

If not that, then it may be being discontinued as mentioned or being updated.

A competitor may be offering a similar quality item for a lot less that is taking market share?

Could be a lot of reasons.

Comment

Face it. It's only $60 in parts, if that. Add 3 hours to put that amp together. That's $45, in some poor bastard's dream. So the amp costs them $105. What's not to get?
                Last edited by fett; 04-30-2007, 05:16 PM.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Lesson learned: Don't buy a Crate
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

You sound new to the gear business, Nicolai. This stuff happens all the time. It sucks to be on the short end of the stick but we've all been there.

They probably wanted this head to compete with the Randall Warhead or whatever they call their 300-watt SS amp now, but Randall has a better name than Crate and thus more sales. So they're dumping the remaining Shockwaves cheap to raise cash.

Do you like the sound of the amps? If so that needs to be your consolation at this time. That, and you're not the first nor last person this has happened to. Hope that helps!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                      You sound new to the gear business, Nicolai. This stuff happens all the time. It sucks to be on the short end of the stick but we've all been there.
                      Speaking of, I just listed some $500 to $600 worth of effects, speakers, and pickups on the bay, and I'll be lucky to see $300 out of it. Partly due to price drops as new products come out, and partly due to volume dealers like GC.

The market is saturated with equipment thanks to chains like GC, so its a wonder that this stuff even sells used anymore. In some cases its not even worth the fees and shipping costs to bother listing it.
                      Guitars:
                      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                      Amp:
                      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Ew, it's solid state anyway.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I can understand your frustration, but if you like the amp and were happy to pay the price at the time then be happy with an amp you like. Depreciation is a fact of life with many products (cars and computers are really bad).

Also, prices are not really based on the cost to build a product. Cost accountants will try to determine product cost, but that is all bogus. The market ultimately determines the selling price. Companies often do blowouts on certain product for a number of reasons and that could be going on here as well.

I did find if funny that you called them greedy for reducing the price by $400...lol

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                            Ew, it's solid state anyway.
                            Solid state has less against it than tubes do, so whats your problem?
                            www.myspace.com/memnochband
                            www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

Originally posted by blackendvampire View Post
                              Solid state has less against it than tubes do, so whats your problem?
                              Huh? What is less against it? Initial cost and Running cost yeah. But tone wise tubes I much prefer tube amps. Not to say there aren't good solid state (Line 6 Vetta and Roland Jazz Chorus come to mind) or hybrid amps out there (like the Marshall Valvestates and old Musicman amps). They have a richer tone, (in my experience) take distortion pedals better and over drive better in general. So whats YOUR problem

Comment

Working...
                              X