Question for San Diego members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for San Diego members

I am planning to take my family to San Diego for vacation this year, and the hotel I plan on staying at is located at 5400 Kearny Mesa Rd, (about 5 miles from central San Diego, supposedly).

Is this a safe area? We want to stay at the Residence Inn (2 bedrooms, one for the kids, one for my wife and I, full kitchen, living area, etc.) so we can opt for eating in some nights. The only thing is that the rooms are set up like little apartments, and so they each have their own entrance; a door directly to the outside.

I get a little wierded out when I stay at a hotels that have room doors that go directly outside; I find them a little less secure than hotels that require you to go through the main entrance in the lobby.

The hotel does look very nice.

I am just curious for those of you from the area, is this part of San Diego in a "good" neighborhood?

One more question: What's the weather like in mid August? We went to Orlando in early August a few years ago, and it was hotter than hell. Not sure we want to go somehwere when it is that hot again.

Thanks,

- Eric
    Last edited by AlexL; 05-01-2007, 11:28 PM.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

I don't live in SD now, but I went to school down there. The place you are staying is in a decent neighborhood... not super upscale, but by no means low class. Basically an older working class/lower middle class type neighborhood. I stayed at a similar style hotel a few blocks away a couple years ago and had no problems.

The weather in San Diego is never too hot. I never had air conditioning and never needed it.

BTW, you are very close to Guitar Trader, a nice little shop that stocks some decent gear. If you feel like eating in, there's a 99 Ranch (Asian Supermarket) close by. They usually have good quality steaks at reasonable prices (I'd often pickup New Yorks or Porterhouses from there for BBQing).

In terms of location, you are definitely out of the city/interesting area... but SD is small with a good interconnected freeway system, so you are not too far from anything either. There are some slightly "rough" neighborhoods around the city, but nothing like the worst of LA.

Have fun and let me know if I can be of any help .

-Mike

Comment

Thanks, Mike. Sounds like it should work out OK for us.

Appreciate the tips about Guitar Trader and the 99 Ranch as well.

- Eric

Comment

Indeed, you are a bit removed from anywhere walking distance away (although there is a Cheetah's across the street ). Almost exclusively business parks/strip malls around there, pretty low-key, you'll be driving everywhere you want to go.

Mid-August will be warm and "humid" - mind you, it's reletive - enough so that you will hit the A/C mid-day and maybe to cool down the hotel room when you get back at the end of the day. It's NOTHING like Florida though!

Second eating at 99 Ranch Market - the food court is great if you like Chinese (and cheap!), Guitar Trader worth checking out...

PM me if you want more specifics/got questions - more than happy to help!

- Anthony
        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Just stay away from resturants where you get stabbed in the kidney.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
            Indeed, you are a bit removed from anywhere walking distance away (although there is a Cheetah's across the street ). Almost exclusively business parks/strip malls around there, pretty low-key, you'll be driving everywhere you want to go.

Mid-August will be warm and "humid" - mind you, it's reletive - enough so that you will hit the A/C mid-day and maybe to cool down the hotel room when you get back at the end of the day. It's NOTHING like Florida though!

Second eating at 99 Ranch Market - the food court is great if you like Chinese (and cheap!), Guitar Trader worth checking out...

PM me if you want more specifics/got questions - more than happy to help!

- Anthony
            Cool. That all sounds fine. I am mostly concerned about safety. We'll have a rental car, so I am fine driving to where we want to go, but I didn't want to get a hotel that was in a known bad part of town, or have to worry about drunks pounding on our door.

One more question. Is the ocean water swimmable, or is it freezing cold?

Thanks!

- Eric

Comment

The water is fine. You are very close to the freeway that will take right into LaJolla. That's a nice place. Mission Bay is cool, as well. Old Town is cool. The zoo is really cool, but it is very hilly so if you are going to walk it, be prepared. They do have buses. That's in Balboa Park and there is all kinds of cool stuff there. I used to live on Claremont Mesa. Right near there. It's all good. There is freeway access like you wouldn't believe.:ROTF:
              Last edited by fett; 05-02-2007, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                The water is fine. You are very close to the freeway that will take right into LaJolla. That's a nice place. Mission Bay is cool, as well. Old Town is cool. The zoo is really cool, but it is very hilly so if you are going to walk it, be prepared. They do have buses. That's in Balboa Park and there is all kinds of cool stuff there. I used to live on Claremont Mesa. Right near there. It's all good. There is freeway access like you wouldn't believe.:ROTF:
                Thanks, Fett.

Everything sounds really good. I Google-Earthed the hotel, and I can see that it is right off of a clover leaf. Maybe a bit noisy, but easy access. I'll consider that a wash.

I can't wait to bring my kids to the zoo there; my wife and I went there when we were dating about 17 years ago. It will be cool to revisit it with our children.

- E.

Comment

It's just a lot more crowded now.

Comment

Dude,
                    you're going down to San diego for the best month possible, August. That's the only month that the Del Mar Racetrack is open so you can go blow some bread on the ponies, hit a trifecta, an exacta, a quinella, an exacta box, the pick 3, the pick 7 the 'ol across the board, in no time you can get fleeced like I do sometimes when I go-lol
                    For the sake of your family , I will not show up , unless you dig the rack, I certainly do, and 1 month is like torture when they could have it open all year. It's a beautiful track, and town, so is Solana beach, La Jolla, you'll think you're in a different world.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Bettin' on the ponies, eh Tommy?

Wonder what the wife and kids would think of hittin' the track for a day. They might actually enjoy it for an hour or two. All kids love animals.

- Eric

Comment

I'll show you how to win, whatever horse or combination I take, stay away from-lol
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Since you're taking the kids you may want to check out Lego Land. My brother in law swears it's the most awesome thing ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                            Since you're taking the kids you may want to check out Lego Land. My brother in law swears it's the most awesome thing ever.
                            Exactly how old is your brother in law?

Yep, that's one of the things on our list to check out.

Anyone else with any suggestions, feel free to chime in.

Got some good suggestions already, but more are always welcome.

- E.

Comment

Yeah he's thirty four, but really loves the Legos. He took his wife and my nephew with him when he went but I think it was just cover so he wouldn't look like such a dork.

Comment

Working...
                              X