So, what is a good home router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what is a good home router?

Seems my old Linksys BEFSX41 finally crapped out today. Everyone said it was junk when I purchased it, so guess it's strange it lasted so many years.

Of course, it was acting up this morning, disconnecting and reconnecting, just prior to removing everything from my office to clean the carpet, so of course I figured I was doing something wrong when reconnecting it and have now spent hours playing with it. Anyways, I'm pretty sure it took a crap at this point and need a new one.

Seems there are hate clubs for just about every brand I've heard of, Netgear, D-link, Linksys etc...

What's a good reliable unit for home use? Don't really need wireless, as the place is wired, but a wireless connection on it additionally is cool.
    Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 05-03-2007, 07:04 PM.

I don't know anything about them

But My D Link has survived like 5 years
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I've had 2 Netgear routers at home that I have not had any problems with. The only reason I've had 2 is because I upgraded my wireless speed. I've used Netgear switches and hubs at work for several years without any issues.

My current model is the WGR614. It has 54mb wireless.

Comment

I just shopped for one. Depends on what your transfer rates and application needs are as to how expensive you'll have to go.
        Ya know.. I just bought this Buffalo Airstation wireless 125G at Newegg for like 60 bucks. It'll handle your wireless as well as having 4 lan ports. I just set this up today and it is working well.

They have a similar one being closed out.

I also like the ZyXEL MIMO's..transer rate is a slightly lower rating but still well rated wireless router.

Anything into the N range is gonna run about 100-130 for a decent one.
        Alot of the N rated routers are not getting very good reviews either.
        I also like Netgear. Linksys seems to have gone down a bit in their ratings since their buyout.
        D-link is popular.. but alot of people said they had trouble having their rebates honored. (nothing new there with some)
        Last edited by charvelguy; 05-03-2007, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I see the Buffalo getting some great reviews for the money. Looks good. Never heard of it. But, I don't look at routers much these days...

Comment

the Buffalo wireless adapters are on sale too. I just got one of those too...should be here tomorrow. Between the two items..router and adapter, they have a auto secure feature called AOSS..just press a button on the router and it automatically configures the highest level of security for you.
            The Buffalo tech support was good too.

Comment

I've only ever had netgear at home. I'd go for the highest spec. as you can afford, that will future proof it for you.

Other than that I don't think anyone makes a bad router, they all have their quirks from what I've read.

Good luck.
              Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Yeah, I was shown a very cheap Netgear last night by friend that I grabbed. That should do me till I figure out a bit more about a better unit with maybe wireless features. This may be just fine anyways considering my linksys wasn't anything special and did fine till it died.

Guess I wondered, as reading reviews on the web, seems a lot of people have a lot of issues with having to incessantly reboot their routers every day or more often (mostly a wireless thing I think). Linksys having the worst rep it seemed. But, on the web, it may look bad, all you hear are the few bad ones that people are pissed about usually I guess.

Thanks much for all your suggestions...

Comment

Linksys users are large in numbers and many of those users run dirty written peer-to-peer (P2P) applications for file sharing. Fucks with the nature of these wireless units, IMO. Very often solved by configuration tweaking. Result: lots of bad "reviews" on Linksys.
                  Last edited by jackson1; 05-04-2007, 07:34 AM.
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Yeah, as much as I read bad stuff about the Linksys I had, it was fine for me. Till it just died out of nowhere... 4 years old for $60 bucks, I guess that was ok.

Seemed most complainers were wireless users... The general nature of high speed wireless could often the an issue in general I would figure considering modern RF conditions in many areas.

Comment

I like Linksys, but I have to come clean: my 4 year old Linksys WAP11 AP stopped transmitting a while back. Just... dead. Looks normal from the outside - lights and all - but no signal. Now, I have a BEFSX41. How many years did you say it'll work, John?
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Yes, Same unit I have. Bought it new in 2004. Worked perfect till yesterday, then it just started going intermittant (uncannily right before I tore my office up). It quit working on the net and I can only access the menu here and there, so I figure it's dead.

Comment

Does it have flashable firmware, I had one go funny on me but I updated the firmware and it fixed it. Saves you having to buy another if it works.
                          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

I think it is only flashable with OEM firmware as far as I know. I tried it once with firmware from the linksys site and it kept locking up and had to be reset.

I have read about a few people killing them during flashing them...

Linksys says there are two versions of the router but mine doesnt say which one it is. I'll guess if it doesn't say, it is the 1st version?

Comment

I use an Apple airport extreme and it rock solid. It works just as good for my windows boxes and it does for my macs.

It also has a USB port. I have a drive array hanging off it for network storage.

Comment

Working...
                              X