No announcement yet.

band crap - need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cover band does Alternative, Rock, dance/disco. I love the alternative/hard rock stuff: Tool, Limp Bizkit, Blink182, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mud, Metallica, Van Halen, Creed, Guns, Greenday, Ozzy, Papa Roach, etc.

When we play the dance/disco: Will Smith (Get Jiggy with it), Tone Loc (Wild Thing, Funky Cold Medina), Taste of Honey, Naughty by Nature (OPP), Average White Band (Play that Funky Music), Crazy Town (Butterfly), Red Hot Chili Peppers (Love Rollercoaster), Rick James (Super Freak), etc I LOVE looking at the girls on the dance floor.

Hippie Tim says it best, you are there to entertain and sell drinks. Having the dance floor crowded will help 'make-up' for playing the 'wimpier' songs! And a crowded dance floor means more money, and more money means happier band members that won't be looking to work in another band.

Comment

I've only played in one band for years that did originals, we'd screw around with a cover here or there, but you're good enough to pave your way to whatever you want to . You should come out here and play on soundtracks, commercials, etc. until you found what you want the most for yourself. there's decent bread $$$$ in doing that. I'd love to see that happen to you.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

unfortunately Pete its all baout the gigs. They'll get far more gigs doing classic rock an dsoe country that a hard rock cover tune band. If theyt don't ask you to join em...fuck em and move on...in my mind YOU are that band anyway

That has been my inner battle the last year or so in deciding if I want to get back out ad gigging (I really miss it)...I don't really want to play SRV, blues and classic rock but that seems to gig getter here. Only cover band I'd do would be 80-90's metal but would rather be entirely all original.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've found when other band members start up with other projects it's usually the beginning of the end. It means they aren't satisfied with the direction of their current gig and are looking for a way out. They may say "oh it's just a side project" but there's usually a deeper motivation. Maybe not the case in your situation, but you might consider keeping an eye out for a side project of your own in case these guys decide to bail.

Comment

That has been my inner battle the last year or so in deciding if I want to get back out ad gigging (I really miss it)...I don't really want to play SRV, blues and classic rock but that seems to gig getter here. Only cover band I'd do would be 80-90's metal but would rather be entirely all original.[/quote]

+1
            I've decided I should enjoy what I play and actually have a stake in it- It's about the music and fun more than money to me- I'd rather be happy than rich!

Maybe someone should strat a thread about band explosion stories- I know I have a few!! Like the time we did a gig and then EVERYONE in the band just went home and never showed up to the practice space again....LMAO! (It was personality/attitude problems or lack thereof that caused it, not skill problems-)

Comment

They're all bailing on you Pete..wtf.. maybe you should join them too and take over the fuggin thing.

Yes, keep yourself busy bro..these guys ..at least one or two may not be back..if they are "gigging" that means they have to learn the material, rehearse, go to their day jobs and families / gilfriends/ wives.. , and shows on the weekend.

where does this leave you..especially if they are getting paid decently for the gigs..

Yes, keep yourself busy..do your own thing, which you been doing with others if you have the means..or start another side thing for now..

hmmm..too bad we wern't closer..we could do a VH trib..that pays well!!!

You copud easily do a pop cover gig and play what most people like..but is that what Pete likes..

If your heart is not into the music..then it quickly becomes a choir..and that's no fun.

I'd call a band meeting to see exactly what's up..or at least confer with your most valuable, loyal guy..and go from there.

Bill Z
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Umm yeah Bill, he did that... Ya thread skimmer...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                  Umm yeah Bill, he did that... Ya thread skimmer...

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Okayyyy..Pete..I'd break away and do a free-style, Death-Funk, Polka-Jazz-Be-Bop fusion..with a mule and stripper live sex show!!!

..the people will love it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      My philosophy is simple when it comes to playing out. If you are playing in local bars you are there to sell drinks. You are there to entertain. So you will do much better playing music that people recognize and can shake their booty too. Being self indulgent will not keep you as busy as being crowd friendly.

I know this will sounds strange but I don't mind playing songs that are mind numbingly simple/stupid or songs that I really don't care for as long as the band as a whole sounds good. My last group played a few songs that would cause me to change the radio station instantly if they came on but we played them well so I enjoyed playing them.
                      +1
                      that is my deal to a T.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Pete there was a time last year when I was in 3 different bands, was in school and was working full time...I really felt like I gave my all to the bands at the time for whatever situation each of them was in. My main band right now, the other guys are in at least one other band apiece, and it doesnt bother me-we all know that that is how you go about making a living playing music. I would not let it bother you, I dont really see it as these guys jumping ship per say but just staying busy.

Comment

Working...
                        X