No announcement yet.

How old were you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17...We played a HS talent contest. We had 200+ in the audience. We took 2nd place (a teacher won 1st place...WTF?). Our prize was a frizbee...I still have it.
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Unpaid - 1970 - Jr. High School mixer at 13 years old- we played songs from that NEW and HOT band that was causing quite a stir - Led Zeppelin.

Paid - 1973 -The Fore-n-Aft. Brewster, NY at 16 years old. My cut- $200., free drinks all night and a blow job after the show from some drunk bimbo in the parking lot. I had to go to school the next morning but I was hooked for life.
      Strat God Music
      http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

You're 31 and wondering if theres still hope?!?!WTF! I'm 44,work between 50 and 65 hours a week and we actively gig!('bout once a month) If you want it, it can be done.
        first gig? about 16
        www.thejimmyhatz.com

Comment

early 20's? I can't remember. I saw W.A.S.P at Rock City. After that, I never wanted to attend a gig again. I've never played a gig myself because I'm a one-man band.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
            on your first gig?

Just want to know if there's any hope for guys like me after this age. I'm 31, got a full-time job, wife and kid. Its hard to make time to practise beyond an hour or two let alone rehearse with a band and stuff. Is there hope for me at any point of time? I love playing guitar and dont think I will give that up ever. But a gig? that's a whole different story... Anyway, please share.
            I don't think age has anything to do with it. Just do what you love... wife and kid though... wow! that's gotta make it really tough, I have no answer to that one mate. Respect to you for continuing to find time for music and a family.
            1991 Jackson SL1 custom USA 'smokin' skull'
            1992 Jackson SL1 custom USA 'Bikini Beach'
            EBMM BFR Luke, Ruby Burst
            Ibanez JS1000
            Yamaha SG3000S,Wine Red
            Ovation shallow back 1985 Limited Edition acoustic
            Boogie Dual Recto, Marshall 1960 4X12 cab, Vox Satchurator, 2XMXR M-108 EQs, Keeley DS-1, Keeley TS9DS FLEXI 4X2, Keeley compressor, Morley Wah, Digitech Whammy-1, TC Electronic G-System, DR Z Air Brake and all Evidence Audio Lyric HG cabling.

Comment

By the way,the wife and I went out Sat. night,local bar,local band.All guys in their 60's.They play a mix from George Jones to Velvet revolver.At a break,i was yappin' with them,and it was there 3rd show! ever! Yeah there is hope,lol.
              www.thejimmyhatz.com

Comment

I have a full time job, family, and a 45 minute commute. My motivation comes and goes, but when I'm motivated, I'm up at 5 every morning to practice for 45 minutes to an hour and then it's off to the gym and then work. I'm in a band with 4 other guys who are much in the same situation. When things are going well we practice twice a month. We can pull it off because every one practices on their own and we all come ready to play when we get together. That said, our schedules have been such lately that we've had one practice in the last 5 months. But we have one big gig every Fall that we always seem to pull it together for.

I think it's definitely possible to indulge your rock star dreams, but finding the right bandmates with similar tastes and dedication can be almost impossible.

Comment

16 or 17, high school 'Battle of the Bands.' My band included my brother for this show and we got along like the Davies. Must have been around 3 to 4 hundred kids. We did a mix of originals and stuff we liked. Maybe 5 or 6 songs altogether. I think the set included Wild Thing or Purple Haze and Highway to Hell or Back in Black.

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
                    I think it's definitely possible to indulge your rock star dreams, but finding the right bandmates with similar tastes and dedication can be almost impossible.
                    It's the most frustrating shit in the world, and the reason why I can't add to this thread anymore that this.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeUPdead View Post
                      It's the most frustrating shit in the world, and the reason why I can't add to this thread anymore that this.
                      I hear that! Took me years to find the right people. When I played to an audience of 4,000 at Gateshead Stadium in the North of England I was 31, there's no point worrying about age man... just rock on til ya drop... I'm with a new band now and doing it all again!
                      1991 Jackson SL1 custom USA 'smokin' skull'
                      1992 Jackson SL1 custom USA 'Bikini Beach'
                      EBMM BFR Luke, Ruby Burst
                      Ibanez JS1000
                      Yamaha SG3000S,Wine Red
                      Ovation shallow back 1985 Limited Edition acoustic
                      Boogie Dual Recto, Marshall 1960 4X12 cab, Vox Satchurator, 2XMXR M-108 EQs, Keeley DS-1, Keeley TS9DS FLEXI 4X2, Keeley compressor, Morley Wah, Digitech Whammy-1, TC Electronic G-System, DR Z Air Brake and all Evidence Audio Lyric HG cabling.

Comment

36. No kidding. Can't believe I waited that long.

Comment

excellent! Thanks for all the inputs guys. I am motivated now...more than I ever was! ...especially after what Harry and Joshulator said. I'm gonna keep trying!
                          Sam

Comment

played the rockit club in tampa when i was 13.

played the st. pete grand prix when i was 16.

first tour of the east coast when i was 16.....ft. lauderdale, FL to trenton, NJ....

i have kept it up fairly consistently to this day. i am a 33 year old school teacher. chose my profession so i could tour in the summer!! yee-ha!!!!
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hey, I'm soon to be 43, and I'm still out doing the clubs when I get a chance with a good vocalist (our only splinter in the band gig). Get out and play, it's all about enjoying yourself.

Comment

19. Weird show at a church. All HS bands, I was the oldest guy in a band. haha
                                Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                                X