Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any engineer in the construction field here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any engineer in the construction field here?

Hello everyone,

I've been offered a job in Las Vegas as a project manager for construction projects. They were looking for an engineer with knowledge in that field. I have over 14 years of experience.

As I'm not a US resident, I'd like to get an idea of the salary I can expect?

Anyone can help?
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

I would check out salary.com.....might give you an idea. unless someone here is in that area and knows first hand. didnt they offer you a package too?
    www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

Commercial or Residential
      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I'm an engineer in construction management in Chicago......the salary range is mainly dependent on the area....certain states have a decent jump compared to others....but with 14 years experience you should do well....
        Entry level (out of school) here is around $40K...
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

Don't forget to compare the cost of living. What I live off of easily here in Houston would be difficult to get by on in parts of California. Do a google search for cost of living calculators.

Comment

Thanks guys! I had one interview yesterday. It went pretty well but they didn't offered anything yet and told me it would be part of the second interview next week. They told me that they had to first check for all the related immigration/work permit crap. The job is more geared toward commercial thing as it's related to theater/entertainement construction projects.

On my side, I'm trying to gather as much infos as I can before having my next meeting with the HR. That way, I will be more prepared to receive an offer and I also need to know what impact it will make on my actual life as I will be relocating my wife and kids.

Thanks again for all your help.
            JB aka BenoA

Comment

Las Vegas is in the desert, so its very hot and dry in the summers. Make sure your family won't mind living in 100 degrees F temperatures and above. Your AC will be running for 24 hours a day during summer time. Its cool during the winter at least.

Comment

Don't worry buddy. If we can survive canadian winters... We won't bother having 100 F summers... :-) ** joking **

I know what you mean. Many people told me about the hot summers there. The offer is a 18 months contract. It's worth a try if they make me a good offer and for sure... I would take a break from the cold winters here.
                JB aka BenoA

Comment

Well, there are a few other things to consider. I'm playing the Devil's Advocate. LV is being overbuilt in a down real estate market. The whole NV, AZ or the rest of the region is running out of water. It's so hot there that they stop working. The streets melt. The change in climate will probably kill you. If you don't get a rock solid big buck guaranteed 5 year contract. Stay home.
                  Last edited by fett; 05-11-2007, 09:18 PM.
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Thanks for the advice fett! Note taken. I'm trying to get as much infos as I can and will wait until they come with an offer. It's supposed to include a good relocation package.
                    JB aka BenoA

Comment

How long have you lived in Canada? I had a job offer going the other way. From Calfornia to Minn. I got a AAA Road Book and read about it. The opening line on climate was "Bracing". I was stunned.:ROTF: Reverse that. If you can stand 399 days of sun with 5 months in the 90 degree range and the rest over 100, go for it. Leave the snowshoes and the winter jackets behind.

Comment

Man, I lived all my life in Canada... Almost 38 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the job offer sounds too cool to miss it. Man, I hope they will call me back with a positive answer.

And if they offer me a salary near what I could find on the web sites posted above, I'm in!!!

BTW, I was in Vegas last October and it was very liveable. I know it supposed to be real hot in summer but, show me the money and I'm packing my things!
                        JB aka BenoA

Comment

If you are ready to load up the old wagon and head a lot west and more south, then giddy-up.

Comment

well at least you won't pay state taxes. i agree with what fett said, unless its a long contract, i wouldn't do anything drastic. maybe work and fly back to see the family, or bring them to a temp home over here. although health care is a bitch........
                            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                              Don't worry buddy. If we can survive canadian winters... We won't bother having 100 F summers... :-) ** joking **

I know what you mean. Many people told me about the hot summers there. The offer is a 18 months contract. It's worth a try if they make me a good offer and for sure... I would take a break from the cold winters here.
                              Yeah, you'll be going from extreme winters to extreme summers. The summer temps get up to 125-130 F (no joking!)... The ground gets so hot during the day that there is no relief when the sun goes down. You should also take fett's advice and do some research on the water supply situation. He's not the first person that I've heard that from.

Comment

Working...
                              X