Your Gear Buying Habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Gear Buying Habits

Alright, I know some of you guys practically have a conveyor belt from UPS that delivers gear directly to your houses. And some of you rarely get anything new.

This thread's all about sharing your gear buying habits, and maybe a funny story or two about getting hell from the wife about gear purchases, or about the funky old gear that you swear by.

Whatcha got?

I'm in the habit of buying cool stuff when it's available at reasonable prices.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I keep an eye on the local Craigslist postings. Thats how I got my Jackson and sold my old Ibanez and some other crap. I wish more people would try and sell their stuff locally on Craigslist, at least for a week before listing it on Fleabay. I feel that I can sell my stuff for a better deal and should be able to get a better deal buying used locally by skipping Fleabay fees and shipping.

If anyone has any other good tips on where to watch for good deals on used gear, I'm sure others, like myself, would like to know.

My last purchase was from MF though. It was a pretty good deal on a blemished guitar, which turned out to be perfect as far as I can tell.

I need to spend less time trying to find more gear I don't really need... and practice more with what I have.
      DK2M
      Fender Strat (Made in USA)
      Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne View Post
        I'm in the habit of buying cool stuff when it's available at reasonable prices.

Yep. And if I have the money. But, there's not usually cool stuff and I rarely have the money. So.............

Lucky I bought some cool stuff in the past and am reasonably happy. May still sell something particularly cool (to some people) if I can find something more brutal...

Comment

I pay MSRP for everything.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
            Yep. And if I have the money. But, there's not usually cool stuff and I rarely have the money. So.............
            My "I'd like to try one of these for a while" list is so long that I can almost always find something cool.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I get my hopes up that something will be cool. But lucky for my wallet, my hope are almost always shattered. Most everything sucks. haha...

Comment

I usually buy on impulse and then 1/2 the time I return it and get something else with the money. I'm like the king of returning someing at the local shop because "it's just not doing it for me"

I kind of have a funny story (I think at least) as far as battling the wife about gear. for the most part she knows I have/had a problem about wanting/needing new/used gear.
                I'm a vocalist first and guitarist 2nd, so I had a gig on a saturday night, so I just laid down for a power nap before I was going to get ready for a gig. Earlier that day, I went and bought a beater guitar I was going to fix up, problem was, I told the wife I put it on layaway so she didn't lose it. I left the receipt in my wallet, so when I went to lay down, she was going to buy an outfit for the show, no big deal. Pretty normal. Well I'm just about out cold and in my haze I heard her coming upstairs, firgured she forgot something and next thing I know, WHAM she kicks the bed on my side and says something like "What the F*@$# is this, I went to grab money to shop with and I see this and you told me you put it on layaway, blah, blah" shoving the reciept in my face. needless to say things settled down and I weasled my way out of deep sh*t, now we laugh about it, but it was a crappy afternoon.
                I suck at telling story, so it's probably not as funny as it should be, but you guys get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                  I get my hopes up that something will be cool. But lucky for my wallet, my hope are almost always shattered. Most everything sucks. haha...
                  LOL - very true!

Comment

"Habits" is the operative word. I prefer to say; "Preferences".

Comment

I stay here and then go to the "Darkside" just like everyone else.:ROTF: And, they just are there. I have BIN'ed a 275 and a 375 the same way. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2891&rd=1&rd=1

Comment

I bought some parts for a Floyd locking nut once. No big deal. Only problem was, that meant we didn't have money for any food that weekend. She didn't give me a hard time for it, but man did I feel guilty that evening..
                        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Working...
                        X