Mandatory guitar solos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory guitar solos

Just wondering which are in your opinion the guitars solo that a guitar player have to know. I'm trying to improve my soloing skill so I'd like to spend my time learning something that could be useful in the future.

None, I think it's more important to learn the theory behind whats going on with your favorite players. I used to hate teaching cause instead of learning how to improvise/come up with your own stuff people want to learn a solo by whoever. Now if you like someone and want to learn what's behind their style, do that and then it's kinda cool to go back, learn the solo and then you can see what went into the actual making of the solo. I think the only solos I ever leaned that weren't for a student or for an audition were Cast away your chains (Uli), The Jeff Beck version of Goodbye Porkpie Hat, and Highway Star. Which according to Blackmore is the only solo he ever thought it was important for him to play note for note. It's much more impressive to be able to learn to improv your solos IMO
    http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Some that come to mind, in terms of being iconic, and probably good ones to know;

Living After Midnight
      Crazy Train
      Round and Round
      Runnin' With the Devil
      Sweet Child o Mine
      We Will Rock You

Howevre there are no true mandatory solos, except Johnny B. Goode

Comment

Cum On Feel The Noize - Quiet Riot

That's The Stuff - Autograph
        Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by blindmuddy View Post
          Now if you like someone and want to learn what's behind their style, do that and then it's kinda cool to go back, learn the solo and then you can see what went into the actual making of the solo.
          Yeah that's why I asked for the most important solos, cos I want to see which are the basics if you know what I mean. I already have my own style, well kinda, but now I need to expand it.

Comment

I'd do a little bit of everything so you can learn by osmosis

ie, do a little Randy, then put some David Gilmour right next to it.

I understand the improv comment, but at the same time, learning how the greats move their fingers is helpful in opening up your head to new possibilities

Vass

Comment

I think mandatory solo to start would be Master of Puppets.
              Also, Orion in its entirety.
              When I was 16-17 I learned these and it was a great builder for me.
              Lots of melodic stuff, speed, and technical stuff to work with.

Another thing I did was play alot of YJM- a great easy song is Evil Eye.
              Will really get your chops built up.

Comment

Originally posted by vwall guitars View Post
                Also, Orion in its entirety.
                When I was 16-17 I learned these and it was a great builder for me.
                Lots of melodic stuff, speed, and technical stuff to work with.
                +1
                I did the same thing and with this song too.

also Iron Maiden is great for learning leads and harmony sections.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Megadeth-Tornado Of Souls.

It's a must learn for a lead player wannabe,imo
                  I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

eruption i guess...

Comment

If you can get past the tunes, some Vito Bratta and/or Kee Marcello wouldn't hurt for flawless solo composition.

Other than that, lots of Eddie and Randy. A few quick ones by Sykes. Something with lots of squeals from Zakk.
                      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

I totally forgot about Marcello, I'm searching something that can give me new ideas for composition and imrpovisation, not the usual pentatonic licks. Thanks everybody so far!

Comment

Power Of Love by King's X..... I think Ty Tabor sounds friggin sweet on that one.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

master of puppets
                            paranoid
                            crazy train
                            for the love of god
                            surfing with the alien
                            parisine walkways
                            Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                            Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Working...
                            X