Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being a nightclub DJ seems like the most redundant job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A more accurate argument would be that there is bad electronic music just like there is bad metal and rock music and every other genre. No genre has a monopoly on creativity either

Comment

DJ doing a gig for a wedding was sued on Judge Alex today. He was 2 hours late and didn't have the decency to refund their money. Looked like he was wearing a shower cap. What a tool.

Comment

Endrik, I didn't mean to upset anybody. I was just voicing my opinion on the topic at hand. Everybody likes different music. Maybe me being so old school I am closed minded, but that is my opinion.
        Scott
        Just one more guitar!

Comment

Of course I was talking about the youtube link.
          Just one more guitar!

Comment

sampling in music is very old-school actually... ever heard 1966 song Tomorrow Never Knows by the Beatles?

"There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

what can i say, i love techno/trance...not quite as much as i love metal, but i do certainly enjoy the club scene

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                sampling in music is very old-school actually... ever heard 1966 song Tomorrow Never Knows by the Beatles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrf_e6g2jxk
                If you think you are going to change my mind you are wasting your time.
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

I knew I had heard that Chemical Brothers song "Setting Sun" somewhere before

Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

You need to be on drugs to listen to that shit

Comment

That is the 2007 version mixed with another song off of the "Love" album. The original 1966 version wasn't sampled. Here is what it sounded like in 1966, which is much cooler imo:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
                        That is the 2007 version mixed with another song off of the "Love" album. The original 1966 version wasn't sampled. Here is what it sounded like in 1966, which is much cooler imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zzQZ...elated&search=
                        no dude you are wrong

the version I posted is the first one, it's on every Revolver vinyl that came out in 1966.
                        they recorded a drum beat, cut it to sample, compressed and EQ'd the shit out of it and then looped it for the tune.

the version you posted is from the Anthology box set.

the version in the Love album is a mix of Within You Without You and Tomorrow Never Knows

this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1u489DqbMQ
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

ooops my bad, I even have the Revolver album and I got them mixed up. I just know Im not too thrilled with the Love album. It's cool they remixed different songs, but not my cup of tea. I still do prefer the one of the anthology album then. I dig the looped drums but it would be a stretch to say this is the result of a DJ. Hell even the best DJ in the world would never come close to the talent George Martin has in his pinky finger.

Comment

well, creating music isn't much of a DJ'ing I think. It's pretty cool to greate different stuff. Pink Floyd was one of the most important bands to popularize sampling. They made samples by themself. Like breaking a glass and recording it, and later use it as a sample.

some of the best DJ's or producers in electronic music and hip-hop are actually pretty clever and have tons of knowledge and good taste in music.

If you look what artists are mostly sampled.... all amazing musicians. Shitty music is rearely sampled.

The foundation of hip-hop and jungle/drum'n'bass etc. was made in late 60's by a funk/soul band The Winstons. They had a tunne called "Amen Brother" the drum beat from that song is probably the most sampled beat ever. All DJ's took that beat changed tempos and added effects to create their own thing.
                            That being said The Winstons was a great band and Gregory Coleman was an amazing drummer.

Now let's take my favourite funk band The Meters. Zigaboo Moteliste is by far the greatest drum beat creator. Every beat he made was genius-like.
                            Bazillion hip-hop artists have used his beats.

Then off course James Brown. His funky drummers (Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks and Melvin Parker) made shit loads of beats wich have been used countless of times. And off course all the great bass lines... mostly created by Bootsy Collins.

George Clinton's music is also heavily sampled, specially the bass lines wich again were played by Bootsy Collins.

Countless of great funk, motown and disco bands are sampled.

The orchestral hits in Yes tune Owner Of A Lonely Heart is also one of the most sampled pieces of music ever.
                            And off course Zeppelin stuff... Bonzo's grooves

All great stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X