How many times have you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times have you...

returned stuff at guitar center? ...or any other music store? I have returned 4 or 5 times so far in the past 4 years years I have been playing guitar.

A few years ago, there was a report in the news that stores are going to keep track of returns in a seperate "return history" list or something like that. Based on that rating, a repeat-return customer might be denied returns or even denied service in some cases. Have no idea if its true or not. :ROTF:

so, how many times have you or do you return stuff at guitar center?
    Sam

i took a bc rich ironbird speedloader back to sound control 4 times in the space of 8 months.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I can only recall returning two items to GC in all the years I've been shopping there. Once, I took back an ART FX-1 that was DOA when I got it home. The second time, I returned a Jackson DR-7 because once my GAS wore off, I realized that I had no need at all for a seven-string guitar.
      sigpic

Comment

i took my les paul back about 7 times in the space of a year, the guy regretted doing free reapirs after that!
        Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
        Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

They really do keep track. It's in their best interest to do so. It's all electronic and they know everything about you. It's scary.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I've only had to returns stuff twice. Defective crap.

And yes, most major retailers track returns by customers.
            People who do excessive returns are not good for business.
            All the stuff you return "technically" cannot be sold as new, so they take a hit on it. Now that's not to say they won't try and sell it as new, but there is logic in denying returns.
            I've never heard of any store refusing to sell because of this.
            This is how the "restocking fee" came about.

The trick is pay with cash, not credit cards or checks and give a bullshit phone number/address when they ask. Hell, just say your number is unlisted, they cannot force you to give it to them.
            -Rick

Comment

I would never buy anything except minor shit from guitar centers, like picks or strings. They gouge you for prices, and it's not worth it.
              -- The Midnighter
              Administrate!

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                They really do keep track. It's in their best interest to do so. It's all electronic and they know everything about you. It's scary.
                yikes!! ok, I'll be careful.

Originally posted by rjohnstone
                All the stuff you return "technically" cannot be sold as new, so they take a hit on it. Now that's not to say they won't try and sell it as new, but there is logic in denying returns.
                but i return in the EXACT condition I got it in. My recent return was a BBE boosta grande. It did not do anything much in front of the 5150 so I returned it. ...2 days after I bought it.

Originally posted by rjohnstone
                The trick is pay with cash, not credit cards or checks and give a bullshit phone number/address when they ask. Hell, just say your number is unlisted, they cannot force you to give it to them.
                Thanks. i am not a repeat returner so I dont think I will go to those lengths. But information is good to know.

Originally posted by Maikeru
                I would never buy anything except minor shit from guitar centers, like picks or strings. They gouge you for prices, and it's not worth it.
                same here...but then a pack of D'addario 10's is selling for $7.99 here in the GC at san jose. I got 'em for under $3 on eBay. I dont buy strings anymore from GC. So, GC has just become a place for time-pass and to oogle at some guitars. None of 'em interest me anymore either.
                Sam

Comment

Nothing. I don't shop there. I just browse.
                  My Main Rig:
                  '87 Charvel Model 4A
                  Peavey KB100 amp
                  Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
                  '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                  '05 Ibanez RG320FM
                  '86 Ovation Pinnacle
                  '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
                  '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

Hell I won't even go there for even picks or strings anymore, period. I just don't dig the vibes I get from the one down here.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      but i return in the EXACT condition I got it in. My recent return was a BBE boosta grande. It did not do anything much in front of the 5150 so I returned it. ...2 days after I bought it.
                      That's really not true unless you never opened the package, which in this case you did.
                      Kind of like a new car. Once you drive it off the lot, it ain't new.

I worked in a guitar shop (not GC or any big chain) for many years and trust me, once an item leaves the store we considered it used.
                      Of course we charged a 10% restocking fee on all returns that were not deemed defective.

One guy came in and bought a new Marshall head on a Friday and then tried to return it that Sunday. Said it was "not working properly".
                      I plugged it in, cranked it up and it worked just fine.
                      What he did was gigged the shit out of it on Friday and Sat night. It smelled like cigarettes and beer.
                      He was looking for a free rental. I remember my manager asking him if he seriously though we were that stupid.
                      He ate the 10% fee. $200+ in our pocket for the "rental" and we still sold the amp (as used) for a tidy profit.
                      -Rick

Comment

Girls do that with clothes all the fucking time. That's why they started keeping track.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Girls do that with clothes all the fucking time. That's why they started keeping track.
                          My wife is notorious for doing that.
                          There's always a bag of "returns" sitting in the car.
                          -Rick

Comment

sound control thought they were helping me by ordering replacements, but each one had a defect (and we're not talking about one boxy little scratch either - warped/twisted necks, gouged trem cavities..). The last replacement was hung up with all the other crap they can't sell, at the RRP £659. They knocked a total of £150 over several months. Then it disappeared. I think it went back to Rosetti, along with the other fucked up replacements. Or someone actually bought that contraption?! ... I swapped it for a WRMG, and quibbled the £75 excess. So it was a straight swap.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Not just girls.

Comment

Working...
                              X