Jamming on the Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamming on the Web

I heard this on NPR where one guy started with a bass lick on some site and then some guy "Out There" added a guitar and some other person added words. It was a cyber-band and it sounded way cool. It's like you can add and subtract stuff. The best example they gave was a guy that had a very nicely played guitar and sang. The some cyber-chick or chicks added just a wonderful harmony. Any of you guys heard of this?
    I am a true ass set to this board.

I've heard about it. It seems to be becoming more popular lately.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I saw a commercial on TV for a vision I had a number of years ago... a group of musicians from across the globe plugged into their computers and are able to jam together "virtually" over the internet. Kind of like a conference call except with music.

My question is whether this is even feasible or not. I would think so, given today's broadband technology. But what is the quality of the sound like, and how much lag is there? Would it stream smoothly and uninterrupted? I'd love to have a room full of surround sound speakers, my guitar/amp, and my computer, and just jam like this one day.

Some of the JCF Jams remind me of what you're talking about, Fett.

Comment

There is no way to do it in real time. Even if the data were transmitted at the speed of light directly from say Detroit to London, it would take about 24 ms

Comment

That's sort of what I was hoping to get started here a while back in the MP3 section. Some sort of online collaboration/internet band thing.

Michael Schenker had a similar thing with Tracii Guns and some others where they'd snail-mail each other a digital tape with each of their parts on it. Contraband was the name of the group. They were never in the same studio together, they just did their own thing in their own place and mailed out the tapes, then one of them mixed it (either Schenker or an outside producer - may have been Guns, I forget now).
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
            There is no way to do it in real time. Even if the data were transmitted at the speed of light directly from say Detroit to London, it would take about 24 ms
            Is that going around the earth's surface, or going straight through the earth's core?

24 milliseconds... I could live with that... I'm always 25 milliseconds off-time anyway.

Comment

You could set up a 'turn-based' system (like a game) combined with a 'versioning' system (like software developers use). It wouldn't be jamming, or real-time, but it wouldn't be much different from writing in the studio...
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                Is that going around the earth's surface, or going straight through the earth's core?

24 milliseconds... I could live with that... I'm always 25 milliseconds off-time anyway.
                lol that's going around the surface... though in reality the signal would be going up to at least 1 satellite and back so the delay would be longer

Comment

Sonoma wire works has a collaboration thing going on for Line 6/Riffwork users. Like Nor mentions.. its a turn based thing where each person takes their shot at it for a different part.
                  Last edited by charvelguy; 05-15-2007, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X