Speaking of downloading music..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of downloading music..

When you purchase a music CD, or in the past, a cassette tape, or record album, you're basically buying a license, correct?

So, if I have previously purchased a particular release on vinyl or cassette, then technically, there is nothing wrong with downloading it and burning it to a CD. I already paid for the music, so it shouldn't matter what format it is in.

Am I right?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

AFAIK, it doesn't work that way. It has to do with the media as well.

From a personal morals/convictions standpoint, I'm with you. I just don't think the law is on your side.

New media is another way that record companies screw artists. When a new media format comes along the record company cuts royalties significantly to supposedly compensate for the cost of new media. Perhaps this was somehow justifiable when the transition to 8-tracks happened, but when the "new media" is an MP3/WMA/AAC (which actually saves the record companies millions) it's pretty much a straight ripoff for the artists.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

This was/is the whole point of the DRM crap, you buy one copy of a song or cd, and you can only copy it once (or more depending on the license).

Comment

Working...
      X