WTF is with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is with...

...All the newbies and listing 40 lines of gear nobody gives a shit about in their sig lines lately? Are things that boring over at Harmony Central? Maybe it's just me, but when I see this:

"Hey, that's cool."
    Gear that's ghey
    Gear that's ghey
    Gear that's ghey
    Gear that's ghey
    Gear that's ghey
    Gear that's ghey
    Gear that's ghey
    Gear that's ghey

...it just bugs to me. I could really give what kind of cables/string lube/picks/furniture polish/toilet paper/condoms/beer you use. All it tells me is that you think your shit is pretty important, but doesn't say a thing about YOU. Get over it already and save the bandwidth you're wasting...

Although not here, it does seem in some web cultures doing that is the norm.

I'm on some Mustang Boards and they all have the general setup and major mods listed on their main car in their sigs. Probably to brag a bit and also facilitate questions about the car as they are BSing like we do except it's about the car and issues it has, or mods done to it etc etc.

Not so useful on these guitar boards as the equipment is VERY diverse and there's little reason to do that.

Mustangs, there's only so much you do to them, and it's nice to look at sigs so you can direct questions to people about effectiveness of mods you may be thinking of or about setups they have.

Comment

Feel better now, Chris?

Hondo Skulls and Snakes
      100W MG Marshall
      Zoom 505
      generic 10' cable
      Dr Stringfellow guitar polish
      Dunlop Nylon .46
      Corona w/ slice o' lime
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I frickin' hate that kind of thing!

--------------------------------

Squier Stratocaster/Green Day and Slayer decals
        Levy's studded strap
        Boss Microcube
        Plaid cable
        Power Slinky strings
        Marks and Spencers underpants

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
          I frickin' hate that kind of thing!

--------------------------------
          Me too...however...

__________________________________________________ ___

Guitar, a white one

Amp, a loud, toneless one

12" speaker

12" speaker

12" speaker

12" speaker

A box to put four 12" speakers in

Underpants from Kwik Save...None of that Marks & Sparks stuff for me, I'm working class.
          Last edited by SEAN RAF; 05-17-2007, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post

"Hey, that's cool."
            Gear that's ghey
            Gear that's ghey
            Gear that's ghey
            Gear that's ghey
            Gear that's ghey
            Gear that's ghey
            Gear that's ghey
            Gear that's ghey
            Hey! I've been looking for that template!! Where can I find it?!?

Comment

Thanks for humoring me, guys! Yes, I feel better now...

Comment

As John said...pretty common on some forums. Most computer forums where tweaking and testing is done.. you to post the stats of your custom build so others have a reference to what processor, ram is used, what MBO is being used, case, case fans/cooling, OS etc.

Same with car forums and their specific builds as Cleve mentioned again.

It was pretty common on the Dean forum to list all the Deans you had, or Fender Forum all the Fenders..etc.

Comment

Yeah, I see it elsewhere as well (guitars, bikes, skis - the only things I really care about...), but could really care less. Good for you I say!! Essentially it becomes a parade of "how much better I am than you", even when that is (often) not the case. Doesn't matter to me what you have as it doesn't make the person - it just says alot about being a trophy hunter. More interested in the person, not the gear. Post pics, not 1000 line sigs about how cool you are because you have all this crap... Some BB's really let sig lines get out of hand, and it takes longer to load the page than it does to read through it because of all the sigs and avatars...

Throw it all in your profile - if someone's REALLY interested in you, they can find all the crap there.

I think a lot of people would agree.

Comment

I had it and I deleted it...
                    I just have a normal Finish saying so I can more easily find my posts
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

well ya gotta admit.. the whole forum thing can be a somewhat self motivated blog sometimes. But ya.. they did have the profile/bio thing setup for that at one time. Not sure if you can anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
                        I had it and I deleted it...
                        I just have a normal Finish saying so I can more easily find my posts
                        Why not write something in Slovene? It would be much cooler. And you're not from Finland or anything too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                          Although not here, it does seem in some web cultures doing that is the norm.

I'm on some Mustang Boards and they all have the general setup and major mods listed on their main car in their sigs. Probably to brag a bit and also facilitate questions about the car as they are BSing like we do except it's about the car and issues it has, or mods done to it etc etc.

Not so useful on these guitar boards as the equipment is VERY diverse and there's little reason to do that.

Mustangs, there's only so much you do to them, and it's nice to look at sigs so you can direct questions to people about effectiveness of mods you may be thinking of or about setups they have.
                          Are you on the corral?
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

what's even more fun is when they pop a few high end pieces in the "wishlist" section of their sig

Hondo Skulls and Snakes
                            100W MG Marshall
                            Zoom 505
                            generic 10' cable
                            Dr Stringfellow guitar polish
                            Dunlop Nylon .46
                            Corona w/ slice o' lime

saving up for with my paper route money this summer:
                            Bogner Uberschall
                            Martin D-28 Authentic
                            Zemaitis Custom Shop

Hail yesterday

Comment

I just hate it when guys are pimping their own web sites in their sigs too. Pompous asses!
                              Henrik
                              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                              X