No announcement yet.

Metal Method Guitar Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow,the guy's tone and phrasing is really horrible. And he kills what he plays,in a bad way..
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Christ Almighty!! Piss-poor, sloppy, shitty playing. Don't get me wrong, my whole repertoire can be played in less time than it takes to dive bomb a low E (my repertoire), but I always thought the Doug Marks instructional tapes were industry standard. Seen them advertised for nearly two decades.

If you want some light entertainment in your instruction, get a copy of the Yngwie REH instruction video. Aside from his ridiculous wardrobe, his fat smug face at the end of every example is worth the experience of sitting through half an hour of futility. He is daring you to actually learn anything, while you spend the whole time staring back at him thinking, wanker...

Comment

it's sad that people who suck at music teach other people... this dude doesn't have any tone, feel, timing, phrasing and his vibrato blows
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

wow that was some really bad playing
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

that was amateurish to say the least.. and the tone made my ears bleed

if you want books, look no further than the Troy Stetina books. great lessons and if you stick with them and apply the lessons to your playing/learning (not the scales and examples per se) you WILL improve. i guarantee you
            Last edited by Davey; 05-20-2007, 08:08 AM.
            You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Heh, I have to agree with the tone & playing bashing.

But, I've found that the best players are not necessarily the best teachers. Not saying the course is any good..... but just 'cause his playing is mediocre (at best) doesn't necessarily mean there isn't some good info in there.

Comment

also.. for advanced classes, get the paul gilbert videos. i just got his get out of my yard one and it rules!
                You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Originally posted by AfterForever View Post
                  I took a look at their website.. I'm not impressed.. look at this video:

The intro piece is sooo sloppy..

Why not just get regular guitar lessons? I mean real life ones..
                  Gah, that whole video is sloppy. Ask around for a good local teacher and take lessons in person. Either that, or find a song that is a good example of a particular technique you're having trouble with and practice it until you can play it. I took lessons for four months over the summer once and it improved my playing by leaps and bounds. The teacher wasn't even into metal; he was a huge Steely Dan fan.
                  Scott

Comment

I never got the Metal Method, but figured he must be pretty good to be in all the mags and successful with his ads.

Then I found his Hawk band cassette for 50 cents at Record Surplus in West L.A., took it home thinking it should be pretty good. It was pretty horrifically bad and I listened a few times thinking I HAD to be missing something. No, it was really just that bad. Never had any interest after that.

Thing is, I've read a number of people post on the Web that they took his lessons AND liked Hawk. They must have got laid with the album playing, I don't know how else you could like it. No disrespect if you do....
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AfterForever View Post
                      I took a look at their website.. I'm not impressed.. look at this video:

The intro piece is sooo sloppy..

Why not just get regular guitar lessons? I mean real life ones..
                      He started doing this a LONG time ago, probably 25-30 years ago. In those days. a lot of places didn't actually have teachers who taught rock or metal. There weren't any around here back then, or at least not any who weren't lame. So he probably had takers from every small town and farm city in the hinterland that didn't have any rock/metal teachers.

Then, after people seeing his ads in guitar mags foir years, people would figure, well he MUST be good, he has a full-page ad in Guitar Player magazine every month. Some people were probably actually satisfied, others would be like the guy who bought "weed" and it turned out to be oregano. And before the Internet everything was snail mail and telephones, he probably didn't have to give many refunds just by avoiding the issue.

These are just my thoughts on the question btw, I don't know for sure. Seems plausible though...
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                        I never got the Metal Method, but figured he must be pretty good to be in all the mags and successful with his ads.

Then I found his Hawk band cassette for 50 cents at Record Surplus in West L.A., took it home thinking it should be pretty good. It was pretty horrifically bad and I listened a few times thinking I HAD to be missing something. No, it was really just that bad. Never had any interest after that.

Thing is, I've read a number of people post on the Web that they took his lessons AND liked Hawk. They must have got laid with the album playing, I don't know how else you could like it. No disrespect if you do....
                        holy fuck... Hawk was horrible... like some b-grade Scorpions cover band... and they had fucking Matt Sorum playing drums on that album

if anyone wants to hear this shit then http://metalmayhemmusic.com/mp3/01-T...-Hawk-Hawk.mp3
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Doug Marks should be rich by now or at least competent on the guitar. The only course that I ordered in the 80's was one of Andy Flavelles courses. Pretty good for the price, but I never sprung for any of Dougs stuff. Now Stetina's stuff I like.
                          Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

I bought the course on VHS back in 93-94 when I first started playing. Wow, I don't remember Doug's playing being that bad back then. I thought the lessons were great for learning the basic techniques of guitar, but it didn't get very advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                              holy fuck... Hawk was horrible... like some b-grade Scorpions cover band... and they had fucking Matt Sorum playing drums on that album

if anyone wants to hear this shit then http://metalmayhemmusic.com/mp3/01-T...-Hawk-Hawk.mp3
                              Sounds pretty fucking good to me!

Not too sure what you guys dont like about it... sounds typical 80's slightly "darker" hair metal, pretty good vocals, drums are kinda boring though. The mix could definetly use some work, but overall I really like it!
                              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

super genereic, weak riffs, weak hooks, just plain silly

I'd take Pretty Boy Floyd over this any day... because at least they knew that they were ridiculous

Comment

Working...
                                X