No announcement yet.

New Transformers trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the hijack.... never cared much for transformers.

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
    Yeah, ya definitely won't pull enough mixture through a stopped blower to run a motor, that's for sure. haha... Way too close tolerences, hehe...
    I can think of two engines that have clutched blowers: Toyota's AW11 4AGZE and VW's twincharger. They're probably so small, you never noticed them!

The supercharged engine in the '86-'89 Toyota MR2 has a roots-style supercharger that the ECU can clutch-out when the engine isn't under load. It helps with fuel economy, smooth idling, etc. To get around the problem that you pointed out (trying to pull air through a stopped blower), a bypass valve is used when the clutch is disengaged. Here's an article on it:

http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Scnotes.htm

The twin-charger set up is even more complicated as there is both a super and turbo charger on the one engine, but the idea's the same:

Lancia had a rally car with this super/turbo-charged set up a long, long time ago.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if anyone's ever used the idea on a bigger block.

And now for the return of your thread....

Comment

Yeah, ya definitely won't pull enough mixture through a stopped blower to run a motor, that's for sure. haha... Way too close tolerences, hehe...
      yeah... there was another movie in the late 80's that had a 70 GTO Orange judge in it that the kid could do that in. he would hit a switch and it would turn on and it was like a 500 hp increase on tap when he needed it during a street race or cop chase. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        Sorry for the hijack.... never cared much for transformers.

I can think of two engines that have clutched blowers: Toyota's AW11 4AGZE and VW's twincharger. They're probably so small, you never noticed them!

The supercharged engine in the '86-'89 Toyota MR2 has a roots-style supercharger that the ECU can clutch-out when the engine isn't under load. It helps with fuel economy, smooth idling, etc. To get around the problem that you pointed out (trying to pull air through a stopped blower), a bypass valve is used when the clutch is disengaged. Here's an article on it:

http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Scnotes.htm

The twin-charger set up is even more complicated as there is both a super and turbo charger on the one engine, but the idea's the same:

Lancia had a rally car with this super/turbo-charged set up a long, long time ago.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if anyone's ever used the idea on a bigger block.

And now for the return of your thread....

Wow... While watching Roadwarrior, I used to contemplate they could somehow use like a a waste/bypass valve setup (like they use on big centrifical superchargers to dump built up pressure at throttle closing to accomplish something like that. Guess they did!

Comment

Wow... While watching Roadwarrior, I used to contemplate they could somehow use like a a waste/bypass valve setup (like they use on big centrifical superchargers to dump built up pressure at throttle closing to accomplish something like that. Guess they did!
          I wondered about the car too when I saw Mad Max 2. I guess you'd have all sorts of other troubles, along with the by-pass route. E.g. needing a second fueling map for when the 'charger isn't connected and there must also be compromises with the compression ratio etc. One of those things that seems like it's better in theory than practice.

In VW's case, it's because lots of taxes on this side of the pond are based on cubic capacity, not power/economy. You get a 1.4 ltr car with low tax and 2.0 ltr power... and more pipes than in a plumbers suppliers! What a nightmare they'll be to fix when they're old...

Comment

That's bullshit. Anyone who was a fan, knows Bumblebee is a VW Beetle. Product placement versus integrity. Bah, yet another reason not to buy GM vehicles, and a good reason not to pay to see the movie.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I'm thinkin "most" of the people watching that movie could care less and won't know anyways. hehe...

Remember when they could switch the roots style blowers on and off in Road Warriors?
              Yeah, if I remember correctly, it wasn't even hooked up to the motor. They just had an electric motor hooked up to the belt.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Transformers looks awesome. Sure it's not like the cartoon, but that show hasn't been on for at least 15-20 years. I'm not counting the newer ones like Beast Wars. Just take the movie for what it is and it should be entertaining.

Road Warrior is an awesome movie too. I think some of you need to read up on "suspension of disbelief". Maybe in the alternate reality of Mad Max they could have a blower that be switched on and off.
                Scott

Comment

For anyone bitching about Bumblebee, give it a rest. VW wouldn't let them use the Beetle because they don't want to be associated with war, or some shit.
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

And they call Star Wars fans "geeks".

Comment

Comment

Well, I hate when they get the lingo wrong. Still, nothing was worse than all of the errors in the first "Fast and the Furious" movies. That shit made me cringe!

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I suppose I should watch it just to be sure it might be good. I saw the advert and wasn't impressed. It looked gay.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                            For anyone bitching about Bumblebee, give it a rest. VW wouldn't let them use the Beetle because they don't want to be associated with war, or some shit.
                            Odd, considering they wouldn't even HAVE the VW line if not for the 3rd Reich wanting a "car for the everyday people - a folkswagon".

You'd think they would have dropped the thing entirely after WWII since Porche was forced to design/build it, and then later charged with War Crimes for supporting the Nazis by building it.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster2 View Post
                              Yes - Jazz and Bumblebee who "transformed" from a porsche and vw bug if I remember correctly.

I don't know what the fuck Megatron is supposed to be but probably some other GM conglomerate vehicle.
                              actually bumblebee is a camaro and jazz is a pontiac solstice.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                                Loved the cartoons as a kid....

This movie is going to own the world.

http://movies.yahoo.com/summer-movie...30/trailers/31
                                so awesome. i spent about $300 saturday at Target on a bunch of the new action figures. I still have all of mine from when i was a kid still in their boxes. This is the movie I have been waiting my whole life for. I cannot wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X