Dilemma...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma...

Alright, a couple of years back when I was 14, I couldn't afford my gear and it was my birthday, so my mom bought me my first Jackson. Back then, that guitar [JS30RR] was the best thing that ever happened to me. It had the perfect sound and feel that a kid drowned in metal would want. Now, 2 years later, I want to sell the guitar because i've had enough of soldering wires and tightening the jack plate more than once a day. Is it wrong for me to sell something my parents bought me? I think some of you on here are parents ... what would you think if your kid told you they were selling the guitar you bought them? I just need an opinion.

Thanks either way,
    -Paul
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

keep it. It will not fetch much on eBay either. They are selling for around $200 in MINT condition I think. I am a parent and would feel bad if my kid was to sell her guitar. But again, if the selling is for the right reasons, i would understand. Its cool that you think of your parents feeling before hurting them. You rock !!
    Sam

Comment

Keep it! I still have the guitar that my dad paid half of for my HS graduation. I have had it for 19 years. Yeah so its a mint model 6 with a really low serial#.

Comment

I wish I still had my first.. Don't do anything you won't regret later. Consider replacing the jack,first...
        Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Yeah, keep it. Maybe take it to a tech somewhere who can solve your issues with the jackplate for good. Or unscrew it yourself and tighten it up. If its the screws that are shot then stick a toothpick in the holes and that should do the trick.

Comment

Thanks for all your input, really appreciated.

One thing though ... The reason for the consideration to sell isn't because it doesn't work up to par with my other guitars, it's because it's just collecting dust in the corner of my room, not being played. My friend just offered me an RR3 for a very nice price, and I figured that I could sell the JS30 for maybe 200-250 (it's got a nice Duncan in the bridge) and that would lessen the dent it's putting into my wallet.

Thanks again.

Comment

I wouldn't sell because of the low amount it would fetch, but I wouldn't feel bad about selling it either. Your parents didn't buy you a top of the line axe, they bought you something to see if you really liked guitar. They knew if you progressed you would move up the ladder.

edit: just saw your latest post. If you can find a sucker and get $200-$250, don't let that fish get off the hook.
              Last edited by DonP; 05-21-2007, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I wouldnt sell it... I wish I had never sold my first guitar, even though it was a POS, Id still like to have it.
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                  I wouldnt sell it... I wish I had never sold my first guitar, even though it was a POS, Id still like to have it.
                  +1
                  mine was a beat up Kramer with a single humbucker and a Kahler trem.
                  Sam

Comment

I kept my first 4 milestones I guess. My $39 plywood kmart guitar, what started it all. My first real guitar, a $160 Les Paul Copy. Then my first pro guitar, a $300 1972 Gibson SG Tabacco burst. And then my entry into pricey guitars, my Lightning Sky Jackson Fusion USA, that I bought new for $1300

I'd say... Keep it.

Comment

1972 SG?? Cool. That must be worth a LOT more that $300 now.
                      Sam

Comment

KEEP IT PAUL!!!

I wish I kept my first guitar..well, technically my father did..a cheap acoustic I beat the hell out of..he still has it.

OH BTW, Thanks for the heads up on Augury..They kick ass!

Bill Z Bub
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Alright, i'm gonna keep it then. Thanks to everyone for the opinions, appreciated more than you think they were.

BTW Bill, glad you liked them

Comment

Glad to hear it, some day way down the line youll be able to show your kids your first guitar... sometimes youll find that the least expensive things turn out to be the most valuable to you!
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I sold my first — a Washburn Force 2 — but found another one on eBay a while back. Not exactly the same, but real close. A little better, actually, since this one doesn't have the crappy fulcrum tremolo (which came stock) or the crappy Washburn Wonderbar (which I installed aftermarket).
                              please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Working...
                              X