Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did calling someone French become an insult?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are really interested in the history of Anglo-French or American-French relations there is plenty of literature and history to draw on. I'm guessing you were inspired by the Canadian in another thread objecting to being called French. Any decent history of the French and Indian war would give you a pretty good background into long standing animosities between Anglo's and Francophiles in North America. PBS did a short series on the subject recently as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
      Wow, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed...
      No, it's just lame seeing someone politicize something and having their facts wrong.

It was not only the French who armed Iraq. Lets not forget our responsibility in that matter...
      Okay, now sidestep the issue.

Most of the propaganda that came straight from Bushs mouth came from internal sources. Sure, we used some of the french "intellegence" to prove our point that we were not the only ones that got it wrong. But only from that standpoint. Do you really think Bush went to war because of French intellegence? Who's the moron now?
      You can't even spell intelligence, and your Bush bashing is about as well thought out.

Bush used the same info that all the members of Congress, whom the Democrats even voted to support the war. Blame Clinton for gutting the CIA for the bad intelligence, not Bush for receiving it.

You still didn't answer my question. But I obviously touched a nerve in you. It's OK. they have meds for that problem now...
      Yes, medicine can help my temper, but they can't help your inability to have a clue.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego View Post
        If you are really interested in the history of Anglo-French or American-French relations there is plenty of literature and history to draw on. I'm guessing you were inspired by the Canadian in another thread objecting to being called French. Any decent history of the French and Indian war would give you a pretty good background into long standing animosities between Anglo's and Francophiles in North America. PBS did a short series on the subject recently as well.
        Yep, that's what got me thinking about it. But I've heard it hurled as an insult for a long time now. About 5 years to be exact...

I'm more interested in this recent use of it, but it never hurts to read some history, I'll have to check some of that stuff out...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Xeno,
          I'm not sidestepping anything. You brought up France selling to Iraq. I pointed out we did too...

Wow, nothing left but to harsh on spelling? I type way faster than my brain goes. That's a side effect...

What about this intel from France that got us into the war? Now it's Clinton? Man, poor old Bush. Led astray from everywhere...

Comment

There are plenty of intelligent and legitimate reasons for hating Bush. I just find it funny in kind of a sad way that you failed to use them.

And yes, you did side-step the issue. Should I cut and paste, and explain that to you as well? *shrug*

Comment

Careful guys. Political threads are "frowned upon"

I think that the original issue was just two guys poking fun at each other. The discussion has now escalated to somewhere completely different.

Yes we all have our little issues with other nationalities. Do we have to go into who armed Iraq and who's politicians are corrupt and all that other stuff?
              Last edited by levantin; 05-29-2007, 05:40 PM.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                Yep, that's what got me thinking about it. But I've heard it hurled as an insult for a long time now. About 5 years to be exact...

I'm more interested in this recent use of it, but it never hurts to read some history, I'll have to check some of that stuff out...
                That was my point. "French" has been a derogatory epithete here in North America for over 300 years.

Comment

I don't feel like I sidestepped anything. I may not have addressed it in the way you wanted but that's how I see it...

I didn't start this as a Bash Bush thread. But it went that way. I guess I should have known that. But my dislike for the war goes beyond Bush and the Republicans. So if I didn't use whatever reasons you feel are valid, oops. Oh well. I guess that's your problem...

Comment

Fair enough. lol

Comment

I met Bush..he liked my Mohawk..

we laughed..he's silly..

Then he became Prez and blows up shit..and I like that too.

Fuggums..
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I first remember French being negative back when I was in 8th grade, so that was in 2003. That of course was with the whole "freedom fries" thing. Though I would imagine it most has to do with World War I and II... Kind of weird that this thread started the day after I saw this:

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

France probably doesn't suck. I would love to visit and don't speak French, but if I went I would tell them I am a Mexican. I ain't stupid.

I will say that French people were pretty cool in giving us that man-headed woman in the ocean outside of NYC.

Also, they rescued our food from the English meat boilers.

That being said, they screwed up Quebec - I mean, I understand keeping the language, but rejecting English wholesale seems pretty knee-jerk.

Cajuns are cool, and they are are kinda French.

French ticklers, French fries, French kissing, French Twists, Frenched Fenders, and Franco Harris are all pretty cool.

VooLay Voo Cooshay A-vec mwa say swa
                          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I would like to visit France and looks at all the awesome old shit..like Notre Dame..The catacombs...and whatnots..

I'd write my name of the Eiffel tower..you know..Bill Z Bub was here..that would be cool.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

A long time ago..The French made us a nice statue..

that was nice..

Comment

Wasn't there a company called Franco-American that made spaghetti or something like that?

For some, I guess it's not all bad...

Comment

Working...
                                X