how is the dremel for routing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how is the dremel for routing?

should i buy a attachments to make it a router or should i spring for a router itself, keep in mind i am going to just route a couple of pick up cavities, and a electric cavity, no major jobs like a floyd cavity.

whadda you think?

Thanks in advance.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Seems hard to control a dremel for something like that I'd think. They can grab and get away from you and oops..

I use it for quick light duty removel of material. Electronics cavities and pickups, I'd want more control and something a but heavier I'd think.

I'm sure some people are artists with them, but I tend to not think I'd not use it for that.

Comment

I only use a Dremel for clean up/finish work.
      As a primary router, it sucks. It's too light and can run away pretty easily.
      Use a proper router for making cavities in wood.
      Save the Dremel for the finish work.
      -Rick

Comment

The Rotozip is a much better router.

Comment

So, the best thing is, just a normal drill?
          I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

The best thing is a small hand held router.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
              So, the best thing is, just a normal drill?
              No, the Dremel is much better than a drill providing you have the Dremel Router attachment.

The Rotozip is much better than the Dremel and you don't need a router attachment for it.

Comment

A Dremel is not a router. A Dremel is much too puny to be routing cavities with. It can be done, but I wouldn't do it.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have a dremel, a rotozip and a router, And I've sure made some booboos with the dremel and the rotozip.

Comment

I can't see using a Dremel for starting a new route. Like everyone said, it's best for finishing work. As far as guitar work goes, I only used it to extend the right side of a trem cavity to fit a FR Pro in there.
                    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

i need an inexpensive router then, can anyone recommend a router for doing the work i need, this is going to be a one time thing, i don't need a expensive heavy duty one.
                      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

You can usually get a Porter Cable 6902 (with 1001 base) for $80 or so lightly used on ebay....quality item which is reasonably priced...

Also, for cavities, you can hog out a lot of the wood using a drill press/forstner bit combo before cleaning it out with the router...
                        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                          You can usually get a Porter Cable 6902 (with 1001 base) for $80 or so lightly used on ebay....quality item which is reasonably priced...

Also, for cavities, you can hog out a lot of the wood using a drill press/forstner bit combo before cleaning it out with the router...

i don't really have a drill press at my disposal, i don't really like messing around with the bay. i'll look around for it new.

i know about the forstner bit but is there any way to harness it with out the press.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                            i know about the forstner bit but is there any way to harness it with out the press.
                            Two words: Very carefully...

Seriously, I'd avoid doing it with a hand drill...
                            Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

plunge router it is, after a bit of research.

fifty bucks. 15 dollar shipping
                              1 year warranty, it seems decent.

Comment

Working...
                              X