Ninja 250R owners?/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    Thanks Chris, I was looking at the Suzuki SV650 but it is a little out of my price range for a first bike. I would hate to have to buy a new one.
    Ninja 250R's are all over the place around here used for around $2000 tops.
    dude, how much are you willing to spend? used sv s can be had for 3500, easily. heres an ex500 real close to you, for 2900....

Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

John, a 250 is going to be a disappointment almost imediately. You want some torque. If a cruiser is more to your liking, score an old V-65 Magna. Yeah, it is a bruiser of a bike that hauls ass, but the seat is pretty low. It has so much torque that you can cruise around in higher gears and not have to wind the shit out of it. You will work up to the power. Those old V Hondas are awesome. My first bike was VFR750R. I had experience with dirt bikes (small ones) so it wasn't the first motorcycle I ever rode. Still, I just took it easy for a day or two, then I let it rip. Just get some platforms for riding and increase your leg length. Don't buy a toy bike.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin View Post
        John, a 250 is going to be a disappointment almost imediately. You want some torque. If a cruiser is more to your liking, score an old V-65 Magna. Yeah, it is a bruiser of a bike that hauls ass, but the seat is pretty low. It has so much torque that you can cruise around in higher gears and not have to wind the shit out of it. You will work up to the power. Those old V Hondas are awesome. My first bike was VFR750R. I had experience with dirt bikes (small ones) so it wasn't the first motorcycle I ever rode. Still, I just took it easy for a day or two, then I let it rip. Just get some platforms for riding and increase your leg length. Don't buy a toy bike.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I actually have a line on a V-45. I think that is what it is. Its an 1100. I can reach the ground easy but its such a huge bike. I have never ridden before.
        I also called on a few older Kawasaki 454 LTD's and the bike I like the best out of all the ones so far this weekend is a 2001 Ninja EX500. I would need to get a new lowered seat or buy those lowering arms for it though. I can reach the ground but only on the tips of my toes. Everybody has been telling me that the EX500 is a great bike for a beginner and its also fast as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
          dude, how much are you willing to spend? used sv s can be had for 3500, easily. heres an ex500 real close to you, for 2900....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...QQcmdZViewItem

Unfortunately.. the SV650 (my favorite bike so far) is entirely too tall for me. I can't reach the ground unless I lean the bike over pretty far. It won't work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin View Post

Mike
            with the exception of being disappointed with a 250, this post has absolutely NO value. Im not going to even get into how wrong this advice is for a new rider. V65 for a beginner bike? Please. The fact that you started on a vfr, and "let it rip" after two days shows you have no idea what youre talking about, and are extremely lucky.

btw, v45 is a 750, still not a good idea, but whatever, im done.
            Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Man, I see talking about bikes is worse that talking about guitars and amps...

But, sorta like the tube amd modeler debate. Lotsa fire..

Comment

I agree w/ cliff. I have been riding for over 20 years and learned on a Honda Nighthawk 550, so listen up. Jgcable has said on numerous occasions he is an absolute beginner. Keeping this in mind, plus the fact of the MC death stats for middle aged guys, I would avoid anything over 500cc right now.

Plus, you got the stubby leg thing going on

Seriously, IMO it is very important to be able to put both feet on the ground. No tippy toes, and definitely no leaning the bike over! The guys who say get platforms are either kidding or stupid or never rode or all three.

The wife: Forget about riding 2 up until you got more experience under your belt. Don't rush into anything or be pressured to (Either by her or by you). It'll be bad enough when you take a spill, worse if it's both of you.

BTW, Buells suck.

Also, forget about wanting to "fit in" with your goofball Hardley riding buddies. If they truly are buddies, they'll understand what you're up against, encourage you to get the right bike for you, and not get that snobby attitude that is oh so common amongst the "Harley Elite"

My opinion? Research the low seat option for the Ninja 250 before buying it...or just get the Rebel 250.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  I agree w/ cliff. I have been riding for over 20 years and learned on a Honda Nighthawk 550, so listen up. Jgcable has said on numerous occasions he is an absolute beginner. Keeping this in mind, plus the fact of the MC death stats for middle aged guys, I would avoid anything over 500cc right now.

Plus, you got the stubby leg thing going on

Seriously, IMO it is very important to be able to put both feet on the ground. No tippy toes, and definitely no leaning the bike over! The guys who say get platforms are either kidding or stupid or never rode or all three.

The wife: Forget about riding 2 up until you got more experience under your belt. Don't rush into anything or be pressured to (Either by her or by you). It'll be bad enough when you take a spill, worse if it's both of you.

BTW, Buells suck.

Also, forget about wanting to "fit in" with your goofball Hardley riding buddies. If they truly are buddies, they'll understand what you're up against, encourage you to get the right bike for you, and not get that snobby attitude that is oh so common amongst the "Harley Elite"

My opinion? Research the low seat option for the Ninja 250 before buying it...or just get the Rebel 250.
                  Thanks Ron. I appreciate the response. My buddies are absolutely pressuring me into getting a big bike. I went to school with these guys. They were driving sportsters in high school. That was back in the late 70's. I am not going to get anything I'm not comfortable on. I also don't succum to peer pressure. If they don't want to ride with me.. thats cool. If we do go out on a ride and they want to do 100+ I will let them and meet them there. Even in cars, when the speed limit is 55 they are doing 80. When its 65 they are doing 90+. They are all married with children guys like me but they all have high performance cars. One has a 30th Anniversary SVT Cobra. One drives an A8. You get the idea. I am talking to a guy now regarding a 2001 Ninja EX500. It has low mileage and it has been adult owned since new. After negotiation.. we are at a price of $2500. I just hope this is a good choice because I can't test drive it. My buddy is going to test drive it and if its good.. he will drive it home for me. The EX500 seems to have a fairly upright seating position and its supposedly a very good bike. I am going to take it really slow and take all the classes. I figure after a season of riding I should be pretty good. I am going to start off in the parking lot and around my local side streets.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    Thanks Ron. I appreciate the response. My buddies are absolutely pressuring me into getting a big bike. I went to school with these guys. They were driving sportsters in high school. That was back in the late 70's. I am not going to get anything I'm not comfortable on. I also don't succum to peer pressure. If they don't want to ride with me.. thats cool. If we do go out on a ride and they want to do 100+ I will let them and meet them there. Even in cars, when the speed limit is 55 they are doing 80. When its 65 they are doing 90+. They are all married with children guys like me but they all have high performance cars. One has a 30th Anniversary SVT Cobra. One drives an A8. You get the idea. I am talking to a guy now regarding a 2001 Ninja EX500. It has low mileage and it has been adult owned since new. After negotiation.. we are at a price of $2500. I just hope this is a good choice because I can't test drive it. My buddy is going to test drive it and if its good.. he will drive it home for me. The EX500 seems to have a fairly upright seating position and its supposedly a very good bike. I am going to take it really slow and take all the classes. I figure after a season of riding I should be pretty good. I am going to start off in the parking lot and around my local side streets.
                    Well, can't give you any feedback about riding w/ the guy with the Ninja 250. Turns out he was actually "joking" when he told everyone he got a 250, he actually bought a Kawasaki z1000. Anyway, I think Ron's advice is sound....and I'd say you'll be extremely happy with a Ninja 500. Also, if you're riding buddies give you crap--1. they're not true 'riding buddies' 2. after some time on the Ninja 500 you'll be able to absolutely LEAVE them. The Ninja 500 is a good bit faster than the average ~96c.i. Harley--ESPECIALLY in the twisties.

BTW, this thread needs to take a SERIOUS turn and recommend some good riding gear. I just ordered some new leather--picked up a MotoGP Corkscrew jacket for $139.00, MotoGP Gloves, and Oxtar TCS EVO ti boots!!

Make SURE you invest in quality gear!!

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
                      with the exception of being disappointed with a 250, this post has absolutely NO value. Im not going to even get into how wrong this advice is for a new rider. V65 for a beginner bike? Please. The fact that you started on a vfr, and "let it rip" after two days shows you have no idea what youre talking about, and are extremely lucky.

btw, v45 is a 750, still not a good idea, but whatever, im done.
                      A HUGE +1 on all counts here, except I think the Ninja 250 is one hell of a cool bike for what it is. PLENTY of power for a newbie, and handles great with pretty good brakes. As for the Buell Blast, I would HOPE that Harley has fixed the problems it has had by now. I would be surprised that a Blast's top speed was only 75 though, but I don't really know, plus a newbie shouldn't be doing 75 anyway. The nice thing about Harleys/Buells is that they are EXTREAMLY low maintenance in stock form. In almost 4 years the only thing I have done to my HD 1200R is change the oil, the rear tire, torqued a few bolts hear and there and adjusted the primary chain. Also, do your self a favor and take the MSF course, and do it ASAP.

Comment

I guess I should have read the whole thread before I responded...I see you are planning on taking the MSF. Good for you, you will enjoy it as well as learn alot. The Ninja 500 is a good choice IMO. And for RacerX...Buells are cool, especially the older M3s and ST3s.

Comment

Working...
                        X