Something VERY weird about UPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something VERY weird about UPS

We have a local logistics center of UPS here in town. My mother deals with their offices weekly.

Anyways, one of the people my mother knows well there just spewed some BS I find completely unbelievable. According to this woman it doesn't matter what kind of insurance you put on an international shipment (i.e. transatlantic), because they do not look at that, instead there is this agreed fixed rate of something like $20 per KG of whatever is being shipped and that is what you get if your stuff gets destroyed in transit.

Can anyone "in the know", confirm this? It sounds like total (illegal) bullshit (an insurance contract is an insurance contract, afterall, even if it is subsidiary to the shipping contract).

It says so right there in the UPS guide that the agreed fixed rate (if legally obligated) is a max of about $100 or $10 per kg IF no insurance has been paid...So is this chick bjust babbling nonsense after all?

This would have BIG consequences. Because for anyone in Europe importing guitars from the US this agreed fixed rate would basically mean that you could declare a customs value of $200 on every guitar and get virtually 0 import tax or VAT.

But the DOWNSIDE: what the hell happens if your $3000 guitar gets destroyed in transit?!
    Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 06-13-2007, 02:03 PM.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Use Fedex. I shipped a $2500 guitar to Europe, it got damaged, and Fedex paid the claim no problem.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Yeah, what are you doing even thinking about using UPS?
      I like DHL for Euro shipments also.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Note also that UPS owns their own insurance company, which in and of itself is a huge red flag (and borders on illegal in most countries) because it gives them a financial reason not to pay the claim

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Yeah, what are you doing even thinking about using UPS?
          I like DHL for Euro shipments also.
          When i bought my Jackson from The music Zoo they used UPS. Do you think i could ask for another shipping company or does every store have a deal with one or another shipper?

Comment

I use DHL coming to Japan. They have never let me down and never gave me any worry.

Comment

Working...
            X