Thinking about leaving my job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about leaving my job...

So, I havent been around here in a while and its because I've been getting the shit kicked out of me (figuratively speaking) at work lately.

I've picked up my guitar twice in the last 4 weeks, had to quit my lessons, and I haven't been out with my friends, or my wife, since we went on vacation in may.

My boss keeps changing priorities on projects, dumping loads of work on myself and the other supervisors, and now he's started micro-managing everything we do because things aren't being done the way he wants. Which of course is a result of him constantly changing project requirements and priorities on us.

On top of that he's a constant cause of stress and and disharmony in the work place. He constantly pits the supervisors against each other by making inappropriate jokes about our performance. For instance; If I'm covering the operations floor for one of the shift supervisors he might say something like this to the staff, "You guys should be happy that you're going to have a /real/ supervisor for once that knows what he's doing". Then not less than an hour later he'll call me a retard in front of 15 people during a project meeting.

The icing on the cake is when he purposely wants myself and the other supervisors to have a bad day. My boss will throw away his anti-depressant pills in the morning, literally throw the pill in the garbage, so he's a raging maniac on a hair trigger all day that does nothing but yell and scream at us.
    I know this sounds ridiculous, but its the gods honest truth.

So, I'm thinking about just saying Fuck It and leaving. I know it would be really fucked up of me to do especially with all the work we have going on right now, but I dont think I can take working for my boss anymore.

The other problem I have is that although I have seven years of IT experience, none of it is very specific to any one field, so Im basically a "junior" level everything, and a Junior salary isnt going to come close to what Im making now. I'm actually considering something like a UTI tech school or trying to get into convenience store management. A far cry from what im doing now, but a trained wawa manager pays about 20 to 25k a year more than a junior sys admin with no degree or certifications.

Thoughts?

Later,

Steve.
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

lifes too short to put up with bullshit like that. Stress like that will give you depression and affect your health, bro. If he would of called me a retard in front of the other employees, I would personally re-arrainge his face.I am a supervisor at work and would never cut down a employee in front of others, there is a correct way to deal with people. Obvouisly this pillow-biter does not know how to manage.

Comment

I have had a few bosses like that. The most recent was one of the nicest people outside of the office, but a raging f**ktard as a manager and co-worker. The stress of dealing with her was incredible. Ultimately, it got so bad that I couldn't deal with her in any "normal" way, and our relationship was basically ruined. And my complaints about her behavior and supervision to higher-ups - while justified - also had "collateral damage" to their trust and relationships with me.

My only advice is this: "get out". Don't do it right away, but find an equal or better opportunity fast. And, when you do go, make it known that you left because of dealing with this @sshat. Not in a vindictive or malicious way, but to make it clear that this "bad apple" is making your organization lose good people. If your organization is like many, that's pretty much the only way that management will ever take the situation seriously.

Comment

Call him on his behavior. It may improve things. If it gets worse, quit. If he fires you, you get unemployment until you find a new job. No harm standing up to him.

Or go to his supervisor.

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          Don't do it right away, but find an equal or better opportunity fast.
          I agree with that. If you are not presently working, your value on the job market goes down and it's held against you when interviewing for a job.

Comment

I'm in a similar predicament myself. The only thing keeping me here is the recent payrise (meaning it would take considerable time to get back upto that salary in another job) and constant overtime. If I already had a new place to live and no need to buy any more guitars, I'd have already left. Those who have recently handed in theier notice (at least 3 where I work) don't have any financial burden, and can afford to get out. It's hard, but you'll get there. Just be prepared to jump ship again should your new job be just as bad. Supervisors/managers are useless arseholes (in the UK they are).
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
              I'm in a similar predicament myself. The only thing keeping me here is the recent payrise (meaning it would take considerable time to get back upto that salary in another job) and constant overtime. If I already had a new place to live and no need to buy any more guitars, I'd have already left. Those who have recently handed in theier notice (at least 3 where I work) don't have any financial burden, and can afford to get out. It's hard, but you'll get there. Just be prepared to jump ship again should your new job be just as bad. Supervisors/managers are useless arseholes (in the UK they are).
              Yeah; two cars, mortgage, other expenses, etc. I can't live off of less than $60k a year. My wife just started nursing school, so we have a good three year wait before she starts making a considerable contribution to the bills. The plan was to try and stick it out for three more years then go back to school myself, but I'm not sure I can take being called a retard by my boss on a daily basis anymore.
              Guitars:
              Amp:
              VOX AD30VT

Comment

So he's abusive, huh. Perhaps there is no official disciplinary procedure there. Maybe you can get away with smacking him in the chops? Seriously, hunt down another job, then twat him on your last day.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Look for another job and ditch that snack.

A month and a half ago I turned in my resig letter and effectively I was going to retire. Gave the letter to the President of the company feeling good about my move, looking for peace and some more guitar playing time.

Well... the fucker ruined my plans, gave me a 50% raise, larger office, $500 no questions asked monthly credit card expense allowance and increase in company car lease allowance.
                  I could not turn that down. So I am back in the game.

Moral is; find peace within yourself and about the decison you need to make and some cookie things might just happen. Be confident, be firm and be assertive. A lot of times things turn for your own good.
                  Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Do you have an HR/personnel person that you can discuss this with? If you've already set your mind on leaving, it probably doesn't matter, but surely you're not the only person who has reached the point of quitting over this guy's behavior. We had some similar problems in my office (also IT) a few years ago, and after a number of people voiced their concerns to the right "higher ups" in the company, we saw many improvements in the department. That included a pay raise almost immediately, and the replacement of our (idiot) director within a few months.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                      Do you have an HR/personnel person that you can discuss this with? If you've already set your mind on leaving, it probably doesn't matter, but surely you're not the only person who has reached the point of quitting over this guy's behavior. We had some similar problems in my office (also IT) a few years ago, and after a number of people voiced their concerns to the right "higher ups" in the company, we saw many improvements in the department. That included a pay raise almost immediately, and the replacement of our (idiot) director within a few months.
                      I wish man. This guy is a street smart bullshitter, and he's made friends in the right places throughout the company. Short of actually assaulting someone he wouldn't even be reprimanded let alone removed. Most people are afraid of this guy because of our HR's bad track record of being against employees and my bosses influence in the company. You'd figure an operations manager in a company with 50k+ people world wide would be an easy enough person to replace, but it just aint that simple. The only way to oust this guy would be solid concrete evidence of misbehavior, documentation, and the backing of all the supervisors and employees. The last time I spoke of revolt I was ratted out by one of my co-workers and almost canned. He does a good job of keeping the supervisors pitted against each other so that we only work together just enough to get the job done. And my staff is way too afraid to stand up against him to even consider asking them for help in this.

Its just time to leave the company. I just wish I had started documenting all of his questionable ethics seven years ago when I started working for him. This would be a totally different story today if that were the case.

--Steve
                      Guitars:
                      Amp:
                      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Keep a running tape recorder on your desk if your are interested in gathering some evidence. You weren't actually taping him, you were recording some notes and happened to capture his behavior on tape.

No job or money is worth what you are going through. I worked full time through nursing school (which was also full time) and was married. It can be done.

-GPS

Comment

childish is it may seem, find another job, then simply repay the favor.....
                          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I'd go talk to a lawyer to see what my options were. Don't make any rash decisions without a solid plan B.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Wow, I think we must have worked together!

I'm been f*cked at every job I have ever had up to the one I have now. Took 40 years of getting it in the a$$ daily due to taking care of a family - would have EASILY walked away and lived in my car on the beach if I could have.

I spent every minute outside work getting more education (MBA at night for 3 years, then earned the Chartered Financial Analyst designation in the ensuing 3 years after that). Then...nothing for another 5 years. What a kick in the balls, figured I'd be a wanted man in finance, but no luck...San Diego might be the worst job market in the world if you want something outside of waiting tables...

Oddly enough, the phrase "luck = hard work + opportunity" came through for me. I was a day away from walking out, and this gig came up - couldn't believe it!

It was painful, but I wouldn't change my life with anyone's now. My advice is to write out a game-plan. I wouldn't deal with technical school, most are high-priced diploma mills that just knock you deeper into debt. Screw H/R - they're nothing but a direct conduit to senior management, which then rains hell down on you.

Start documenting the harassment (note days and times) just in case you need to take it to another level.

And most importantly, get that resume in order and get it out to anyone who will listen! Take the lower paying job, and pick up another part-time one if you need to - you need to get out ASAP!!!
                              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Working...
                              X