Anybody know just how you.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know just how you.....

Anybody know just how you go about getting permission to use someone else's songs?
    We're strictly a cover band,"rewriting" the originals our way.we've recorded several demos that we just hand out to fans,but this latest recording project is really coming out great and worthy of being a "real" record.
    So how do I do this right(give the original artists their royalty's) and not put myself into some legal shit hole?
    www.thejimmyhatz.com

You'd first have to find out what publishing company owns the rights.

Comment

Wouldn't you go through ASCAP or the Harry Fox Agency? I thought they handled royalty payments to artists in the US.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

From the little knowledge I know, for performance the venue is responsible for paying royalties, for recording you are responsible. Find out who owns the rights to the songs and send them a letter.
        Scott

Comment

I think live is a different story. I don't think you owe anybody for playing it live. It's when you record it and sell it that it becomes a problem...

ASCAP is were I would start...
          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

ASCAP and BMI only track and collect/pay the royalty.
            You need to get permission from the copyright holder to re-record and release it first. This must be in writing. It's a legal contract.
            See who is listed as the owner(s) of the copyright and contact them or their publisher to start the process.
            You pay no royalties for live performances unless you record the performance and sell the recording.
            Last edited by rjohnstone; 06-28-2007, 04:18 PM.
            -Rick

Comment

You pay no royalties for live performances unless you record the performance and sell the recording
              Not true, the venue pays ASCAP/BMI for all live music performances(non theatre -that's royalties). There is another one too. SESAC.
              but as was said before to record you need the owner's permission.

Comment

Rich... I think you misunderstood what I was saying... "you" meant the performer.
                I know the venue, be it a bar, restaurant or whatever, has to pay ASCAP and BMI royalties if they have any form of music being played.
                -Rick

Comment

Really? Even like a jukebox?

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                    Really? Even like a jukebox?
                    Yes... even a juke box requires an ASCAP license.
                    That's why you hear some restaurants that only play royalty, free ancient crap done in that crappy musac style. That shit is free.
                    -Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X