Harley Riders...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Riders...???

Hey everybody, been having a blast riding my 2001 250R. My MSF course starts July 12th. I have put about 500 miles on the bike in the last 2 weeks. On Friday I drove 2.5 hours each way to visit my parents upstate NY. Anyway... here is my delemna...
    ALL my friends drive HD's. Fatboys, Screamin Eagles, and all kinds of 25K+ bikes. They all refer to sport bikes as ricers, squids, jap bikes, organ donors...etc... with good reason, the kids around here drive their sport bikes like maniacs.
    This morning was one of thier famous poker runs. They invited me to go. It was to be my first one. We all met at the gas station down the street. There was at least 40 HD's there. All chromed out, all the guys in leather and jeans, all wearing some shade of black, virtually no helmets except for the occasional 3oz brain bucket. We sat at the gas station for around 30 minutes waiting for stragglers to show up. I was the only one with a sport bike... (and a 250 to boot!!)

I noticed some crap stares at my bike. I also noticed that some of them actually moved their bikes from where I parked mine. My friends were very nice but it felt more like a bike show then a ride. Everybody staring at everybody elses bikes... comparing... commenting. The people riding sportsters were mainly women. They even made an off color comment on a guy who pulled up in a big Yamaha V-Star.

I got my Ninja to learn to ride. I am a first time rider. I plan on getting a bigger bike after this season is over and I really want to get another sport bike. Maybe a Ducati or a bigger Ninja.
    My friends told me that I really should get a HD so I could ride with them. They told me that when you ride a sport bike you will have nobody to ride with except for the kids who do wheelies and 150+mph around town. So far.. they are 100% correct. It seems that the guys on the sport bikes are out to kill themselves... no gear, no helmet and driving like maniacs... the guys on the HD's all stick together too.

Here is the thing.. I am not digging the entire HD black leather, patches, chrome gig.
    Most of these guys dress up like motorcycle gang members. They like to hang at hooters, most of them drink, it seems like its a prerequisite to smoke cigarettes when you ride a hog and they seem to spend most of the time cleaning, upgrading, chroming or gauking at their bikes.

For me.. I like sport bikes. I like bikes that handle really good, brake really good and I especially like the looks. I also like the apparel better. I think that full face helmets ROCK, I really dig my Tourmaster Cortech jacket, my First Gear mesh jacket and ballistic pants, my killer Nitro riding boots and especially my Shoei RF-800 helmet.
    I am not into the entire HD leather lifestyle. Todays poker run ended up at a big barbecue where they had strippers that would wash your bike and a tent for lap dances. Again.. I am not digging that entire scene. I don't frequent strip clubs. I frequent the local gym. I don't smoke or drink, I don't have a beard and I don't really care for leather.

So.. now to the advice (its about time!!!)

What would you guys do?? Would you give in and get a HD so that you had people to ride with.. or would you get another sport bike and be stuck with riding with absolute maniacs that wear no gear at all and drive very dangerously or should I just pretty much ride alone and hope to meet people who have similar interests as me down the road?

Doesn't sound like there's much of a choice.

1) You like sport bikes.
    2) You don't like Harleys
    3) You like your friends, but aren't into the whole scene their part of

Get a sport bike, and find some other people to ride with.

Harleys do tend to be in a class of of their own; they look good with each other, but not with anything else. I ride a Honda CBR1000F, and my riding buddies ride sport tour bikes and Japanese cruisers. And we don't care that we don't "match".

Also, saying that all sport bike riders are wheelie-popping speed freaks with no regard for their safety or the safety of others is just like saying that all Harley riders are low-life scum bags. It just ain't so. You just need to find some responsible sport bikers to hang with.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

A great american alternative is Victory. I have one and it blows away the quality of the Harley I had for 5 years prior to owning the Victory.

They make some really cool bikes that look great and also deliver great performance (not crotch rocket performance, but good none-the-less).

Sounds like you might like the Victory Hammer (comes standard with dual front Brembo disc brakes). At lease give it a test ride.

Comment

When you ugrade, get a Buell Firebolt XB12R and wear whatever safety gear you want. They will have plenty of people gawking at their brains smeared across the street if they ever fall off, and you'll be riding an American Sportbike.
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
          A great american alternative is Victory. I have one and it blows away the quality of the Harley I had for 5 years prior to owning the Victory.

They make some really cool bikes that look great and also deliver great performance (not crotch rocket performance, but good none-the-less).

Sounds like you might like the Victory Hammer (comes standard with dual front Brembo disc brakes). At lease give it a test ride.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory/
          I Just sold my Hammer and got a V-rod, very similar and rides even more "sport bike" like...without being too Heck's Angel's..Both are awesome choices.

Comment

You buy the bike that suits you and is most comfortable for your riding habits. I ride a harley and my friends do as well but we wouldn't not ride with you because you were on a cafe racer. The only thing that would be a issue is that sport bike riders tend to ride in a different manner than cruisers do ..

Matt @ Matts music just bought a kick ass Harley Nightrod .. ask him about that

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by daisp View Post
              I Just sold my Hammer and got a V-rod, very similar and rides even more "sport bike" like...without being too Heck's Angel's..Both are awesome choices.
              Yes, the V-rod is also a great choice! I know a bunch of guys who own and love them!

Comment

Originally posted by 442w30 View Post
                When you ugrade, get a Buell Firebolt XB12R and wear whatever safety gear you want. They will have plenty of people gawking at their brains smeared across the street if they ever fall off, and you'll be riding an American Sportbike.

That happens to be one of the bikes on my list eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory/

There was a guy there this morning with one of those bikes. I think he said that his was called the Jackpot.
                  It looked like one of those custom choppers.

Comment

Yep, that's what I have, the Jackpot.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                      Doesn't sound like there's much of a choice.

1) You like sport bikes.
                      2) You don't like Harleys
                      3) You like your friends, but aren't into the whole scene their part of

Get a sport bike, and find some other people to ride with.

Harleys do tend to be in a class of of their own; they look good with each other, but not with anything else. I ride a Honda CBR1000F, and my riding buddies ride sport tour bikes and Japanese cruisers. And we don't care that we don't "match".

Also, saying that all sport bike riders are wheelie-popping speed freaks with no regard for their safety or the safety of others is just like saying that all Harley riders are low-life scum bags. It just ain't so. You just need to find some responsible sport bikers to hang with.

- E.
                      I would say that 90% of the sport bike riders around here share the same traits..
                      T-Shirt
                      Sneakers
                      No helmet
                      Shorts most of the time
                      EXTREMELY loud exhausts
                      They probably hit 100mph light to light on an average and they all lane split

The other 9% of them share all the same traits as above except:
                      They wear full protective gear.
                      The remaining 1% is guys like me. The married with children guys who love the look and feel of a sport bike, wear full gear and drive normal (or slightly "spirited").

Comment

You know what else you might look at that is a great bike is the Suzuki Boulevard M109R...

Kinda splits the difference or cruiser/crotch rocket and doesn't really "stereotype" you.

Comment

dude...do not fall in to peer pressure. You are you...be you...get what you want...please youself and fuck what anyone else says. I hate to say it but it sounds like the group you went with were 90% assholes 10 % human beings...dont stereo type because not ALL hog riders are like that

the HD thing is like a culty clique but also don't judge people by how they look or dress...I know my share of HD riders who all look somewhat stupid in my eyes in all the biker garb but they are really good people.

Again John...just be yourself and get you a bike that YOU like
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            Would you give in and get a HD so that you had people to ride with.. or would you get another sport bike and be stuck with riding with absolute maniacs that wear no gear at all and drive very dangerously or should I just pretty much ride alone and hope to meet people who have similar interests as me down the road?
                            Neither. First, let me get this out of the way: I love Harleys. My dream bike for 10+ years has been a Fatboy in twotone Aqua and White. Having said that, anyone who looks down their nose at you because you're on another brand of bike should be promptly told to kiss your ass. Let me say this, too; I've always said that if I ever do get a Harley and there's anything on it that says, "Live to Ride, Ride to Live," that shit is coming off ASAP. I hate cliches and I especially hate people who think their dicks are bigger because their bike has that eagle logo on it.

Personally, I would ride whatever I enjoy riding. If other people want to come along, great. If not, that's fine, too.
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

the jackpot looks AMAZING!!!

i want to get a cruiser next year and i got no idea what to get.
                              1st bike, not interested in brand, as long as it's japanese or better quality. around the 600 range.
                              You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Working...
                              X