Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with home alarms... Brinks, ADT, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with home alarms... Brinks, ADT, etc.

I've been looking at some different home alarm and monitoring options. ADT and brinks look like the biggest, there are some local providers, and I think there are some low cost companies for the monitoring. If anyone has any experience, I would very much appreciate it .

Thanks,

-Mike

I have Brinks. I'm happy with them. $24.95 a month fee. Equipment was free when I signed up...they go through phases where the equipment is free, then it's $99. Talk to a rep, they may give you the free equipment.

I also have $2/month (or is it $4?), anyway it's the "insurance". Basically, if anything goes wrong with the system, the technician comes out free of charge, otherwise it's $60 service call. This comes in handy when the back-up battery runs out and they have to come out and replace it. About once every 2 years or so.

Comment

Just get one of these

Sam

Comment

I've had Brink's for about 6 months. No problems at all. I pay $35/month for monitoring.

Comment

I use Slomans. Its ok. It does the job. I think in hind sight I would just get the stickers for the windows and put the signs in the yard. Will most likely do the same thing. Of course they also call the fire department if there is a fire.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
            Just get one of these

I just typed a book and my PC is being a dick..good advice too..FUCK!

Yes the dog is a great idea..damn

I'll have to fix this shit or reboot and come back later
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

+1 for the dog. make sure that it's a crazy one like mine. She is a sweatheart, but very protective.

Comment

Alarms companies and alarms are a scam..your payin' for alot of 100% nothing.

Completely useless..I can tell you why, but I don't want to write another elaborate reason for my PC to go blank again..

The best alarm is a loud audible on the vulnerble places on your home that are inviting to a suspect..back door, sliding door, bak or side windows and ect..that's it.

or a good dog..or you and your big gun!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Damn, I was looking forward to an elaborate explanation...

Comment

This probably the main reason my house has been cool...

Comment

I responded to an infinite amount of alarms in my years. They sometimes can be 10+ hours old , left over from the last shift when we recieve them. This is typical in a city like Cleveland. Even in the "nice" areas that ourselves as cops live in "coplands". This is due to that home security alarms are very frequent with "no cause"..which makes them a very low priority being a code 3 or 4. If a suspect is on scene and/or trying to break into your home , in that case it would be a priority 1 ..2...meaning we start to roll when we get it from dispatch.

which leads me to dispatch..they must give out the assignment out to a zone car within 10 minutes. Then the zone car has a 10 minute window to repond to that location, if a higher priority isn't pending..which is 20+ minutes by the time we do get there and that IS fast response for an alarm.

average time for response time in the nicest locations can be up to 20 minutes..so ..ask yourself..is that 35-50 bucks a week worth it.

Another point..since alrams do consume alot of our time we are mandated to issue unnecessary alarm citation for a "No cause" after responding to the same location twice..so you can be cited on the third time, and that will cost ya..and anything can set these off and do constantly..weather, pets..whatever..

The best alarm is a loud audible on the vulnerble places on your home that are inviting to a suspect..back door, sliding door, bak or side windows and ect..that's it.

or a good dog..or you and your big gun!

that's it..

do what alot of people do..steal a ADT sign and put it front of your home..that's all you need..that is the only thing that would deter a possibe suspect anwhoo..as far as "alarm companys".

OK Bye.
                      Last edited by horns666; 07-05-2007, 08:56 PM. Reason: fuggums

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                        This probably the main reason my house has been cool...

ahhhh COBY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                          Damn, I was looking forward to an elaborate explanation...
                          nuthin' you won't know in a few months..keep those fingers crossed!

Comment

Here's how those companies operate:

1) Buy the cheapest alarm hardware with the least amount of features and crappiest technology (like phone lines)
                            2) Create sales brochures with lots of pictures of little kids, some with crying eyes
                            3) Send ignorant sales reps to the homes of old people and scare them with stories of recent break-ins "in the vicinity"
                            4) Install cheap hardware (doing a shitty job) and rake in monthly bills for doing jack shit

Save your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                              Here's how those companies operate:

1) Buy the cheapest alarm hardware with the least amount of features and crappiest technology (like phone lines)
                              2) Create sales brochures with lots of pictures of little kids, some with crying eyes
                              3) Send ignorant sales reps to the homes of old people and scare them with stories of recent break-ins "in the vicinity"
                              4) Install cheap hardware (doing a shitty job) and rake in monthly bills for doing jack shit

Save your money.
                              Yeah..exactly the tactics some kid tried on me..

I just said "dude..look at me, I'm home 24/7/365..does it look like I need a fuggin' alarm?"

He just said .."no, I'm sorry" and walked to the next house who's a fireman, and I said.."he doesn't need one either" so he just kept walkin....pretty funny really..you had to be there..

Of course I was pointing to or mentioning my balls somewhere in that exchange..because that's what I do!

Comment

Working...
                              X