Neighbour trouble - Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour trouble - Noise

My neighbours have started acting up about the noise. My band practice just down the road and I play drums and guitar at home with my brother. We've had a guy over 2 days in a row to bitch about the racket. I live in the countryside and there is a bit of a distance between our houses but he seems to be getting annoyed.
    We play with T-shirts muting the kit but it can be fairly loud. Not as bad as the person is making out. What would you do? I hate annoying people but I can't make the drums quieter without ditching the cymbals. Anyone else have this kind of trouble?

i'm guessing that it's probably not THAT loud to your neighbor but it's one thing if you live in the city. it's probably another thing if he's in the country trying to get away from it all and trying to enjoy the melodic song of the rare blue crested whatever LOL.

try soundproofing your rehearsal room?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I think you have put his ewe in a bad mood. Seriously, anytime someone disturbs the natural order of things you will get complaints. He likes his quiet. Maybe you should talk with him and work out a time to practice where he knows it is coming and he can adjust for the hour or two so you guys can rock the bogs.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Agree with SeventhSon, soundproof and also tell him that you are soundproofing. At least if you tell him, the jackhole will realize that you are actually doing something to accomidate him too and it might put you in a better light.

-Nate
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I can see where the guy is coming from, there's nothing I hate more than to be disturbed by someone elses entertainment, and there's no reason I should have to be. My neighbor and I have gotten into it a few times because of his music being too loud, almost to the point of getting physical. Now I just wait until I can hear it and just call the cops immediately, which is what it will eventually come down to between you and your neighbor.

You can make as much noise as you want so long as you dont disturb anyone else. I would suggest inviting the guy over for a beer and trying to find a compromise, and you likely will, but also be prepared to find yourself at an impasse.

Either way I would try to start sound proofing.

Later, Steve
          Guitars:
          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
          Amp:
          VOX AD30VT

Comment

My answer is gooder. Let him know why and when you intend to make noise and he will come around. Chances are he would like to do the same thing you are.

Comment

I tend to think it would largely depend on the time of day your playing.
              As a general rule of thumb, I turn down after 9PM on weekdays and 10-10:30 on weekends...one thing about the country style living...sound seems to cary a bit furter than it does in the city (maybe because its a bit quieter outside the city?)

Comment

Originally posted by UNSANE View Post
                I tend to think it would largely depend on the time of day your playing.
                As a general rule of thumb, I turn down after 9PM on weekdays and 10-10:30 on weekends...one thing about the country style living...sound seems to cary a bit furter than it does in the city (maybe because its a bit quieter outside the city?)
                basically this is usually the situation, practice during the day as much as possible, remember country folks do like their peace and quiet,
                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

The dude lives in Ireland. In the country. But, in my little trailer park with trees everywhere and in a valley, I can hear shit a mile away. I just wish everyone else knew that. You need to hear it from his end.
                  Last edited by fett; 07-12-2007, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Get some of those rubber drum mufflers you put on the top of the skins.

Comment

A cheap trick..a big old THICK blanket to drape over the drum entire kit..except for the cymbals of course.

That's what my son does..I actually prefer the way it sounds..stops any vibrations and rattles from the kit and the room.

This cuts his volume in half..so I don't have to cranked my amp nearly as loud..We just practice/write anywhoo

Besides, it kept his Sonor kit like brand new..including the heads..

I swear by it...good luck!

Bill Z
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My previous band practiced in a second-floor apartment. The drummer used some of the plastic/rubber/whatever practice pads, and it was tolerable.

Well, his drumming wasn't tolerable, but the noise level was.
                        sigpic

Comment

I have a neighbor that took up drums recently... I now hate my neighbor.

Comment

get a practice space somewhere, you can play there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Comment

I am lucky I have a basement and my neighbors are cool. They tell me they have to really listen for it to even hear it. If not I would probably get a bandroom.

Comment

Working...
                              X