Kids Today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids Today!

So I'm at work today and our 16 year old summer help asks me if I can play every Van Halen solo out there. I said I can play quite a few, but not perfectly. He said - direct quote- " That's pretty cool but my buddy can play all of Blink 182's songs!" I told him that Blink 182 mows my lawn and pay me $10 to do it because they suck so bad. So apparently VH=Blink182? This generation has lost its mind!
    What has 9 arms and 10 legs? Def Leppard

"This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Kids these days... they have no clue what a real solo is.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        So true.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Being a "kid these days" I back that statement. People just don't seem to appreciate the classics

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
            Being a "kid these days" I back that statement. People just don't seem to appreciate the classics

As do I! I'm 17 and my peers can barely spell music let alone listen to any good examples of it

Comment

My 14 year old, Randy, is an exception. Yes, he likes some of the modern bands - HIM, Three Days Grace, My Chemical Romance, for example. But he also still loves the classics. How could he not with a 41 year-old dad who loves to rock! He's currently deep into Randy Rhoads for some reason. That's all he's been playing/practicing for weeks now. He makes his papa proud.
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

For the most part only the musicians are into music with any substance. Actually a lot of them still listen to shit too. I know music majors who have been playing for 10+ years that just listen to pop and rap most of the time.

Comment

Not only do kids these days think Blink = or > VH, they also think Tom Delonge invented the 1 hum strat. I also recently learned from a young fella that the greatest reggae band of all time is 311.

Comment

Well its better these days than say 3-4 years ago, nu-metal period etc... solos became trendy once again (fortunately) with bands like A7X, Shadows Fall etc...

Comment

Not guitars or music related, but a couple of weeks ago I was at my friends lock-up garage. We were tidying up, and had rolled his bikes into the street for some space. A bunch of the local youth sauntered past, and were heard to say something along the lines of "Cool! Check that out!"
                      Were they referring to the '85 Z1000J? The minty '78 Honda CBX 6? Maybe the Z1000 hardtail chop? Surely it must be the bright yellow (and profoundly evil) GSXR1260 streetfighter?
                      No, it was his £150 mini-moto....

Comment

maybe they inhale too much poppers?
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

What the hell is a Blink 182

Comment

Eh I'm a young one and while I'm still rooted into Punk bands like the Offspring, Pennywise, Bouncing Souls, US Bombs, Pulley or Ten Foot Pole, I love the Blues and rock&roll and it's my life, simple as that. Some kids chose to listen to what's popular, I say let them, I couldn't care less. There's always going to be someone willing to make them listen to something else, but it's up to them to accept it. I'm the only musician in the family and I pretty much had to discover it all by myself and it's not easy, without any lessons or anything.

That first post did crack me up though

Comment

Solo?....we need know freakin Solo ...in our songs!

Comment

Working...
                              X