Antique refrigerators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique refrigerators

Hey Fett, now that I have your attention...

LOL, You're probably the most likely person here to know anything about this I think.

This here is a nineteen fourty something Leonard refrigerator that I aquired today. It works perfectly, and as you can see, is in ridiculously fine condition considering it is 60-odd years old.

Here's my questions:

First off, is there any way of finding out what year it is?

Second, is it worth anything, or should I continue with my original plan of using it in my basement as a beer fridge.

HOT ROD FLAMES MAYBE!!
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Do not turn it on until it has been set upright for a while. You shouldn't lay old fridges down like that.

Other than that, good fridge, the old freon works GREAT!
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Nothing works better then an old freon cooled fridge. We have a Kenmore fridge outside in the garage thats like 35 years old and works great.

Comment

Hey what's wrong with laying it down? Will it get fucked up?

Comment

Dam Zeegler that thing is frickin choice! where the hell did you find that thing?
          According To The Prophecy

Comment

Laying it down lets the freon in coils get all mixed up, it needs to settle down and level it self out. Or at least that is the urban myth I know of.
            "when people say metal, they dont think bling bling they think stainless steel kitchen knife"
            I just made that quote..

Comment

Laying it down lets the freon in coils get all mixed up, it needs to settle down and level it self out. Or at least that is the urban myth I know of.
              Call the myth Busters.... i Love em.
              "when people say metal, they dont think bling bling they think stainless steel kitchen knife"
              I just made that quote..

Comment

Echo, Echo..
                I just made that quote..

Comment

I like the hot rod flames and beer idea

Comment

Originally posted by Drake S. View Post
                    Dam Zeegler that thing is frickin choice! where the hell did you find that thing?
                    You're gonna hate me for this one.

I was on my way home, driving through my neighborhood with my son. I noticed a couple of semi trailers dropping off one of those portable classrooms at his school, and decided to go take a look. His school is at the end of a dead-end street. The last house at the end of the street had a few things out at the curb for "large item pickup", which means they were going to be picked up tomorrow morning, and taken to the dump. That's right, the dump. I see the fridge, and I'm like "Whoa!". So I knock on the door, and ask them about it. It's an old couple. The guy says they bought it brand new back in the 40s, and that it works perfectly. They just needed something newer, and more efficient. I ask him if it's alright if I take it, and he says sure, it's better than paying $20 to have it picked up and taken to the dump.

FREE BABY!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Where the fuck is Fett???

Comment

By the way guys, I know the pics make it look like a brand new fridge, but that's because it pretty much does look like a brand new fridge. :ROTF:

I've never been so stoked about an appliance before.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                          Hey what's wrong with laying it down? Will it get fucked up?
                          I scammed this info here:
                          http://www.applianceaid.com/faq-side.html

I believe it only applies to older or less modern (cheaper newer) units.

Q - Can a fridge be placed on it's side to be moved...Yes and No !!??

A - A fridge can be moved on it's side, but you run the risk of some of the oil coming out of the compressor and running up the lines to places where it can cause a restriction. Damage can occur to the fridge and the fridge may stop cooling :-(

Many times there is just no other way to move your fridge other than on it's side. Appliance Repair Aid has some tips for you.

The #1 problem with a fridge on it's side is the oil comes out of the compressor and runs up the cooling lines. If at all possible lay the fridge down on the opposite side of where these tubes come out of the compressor. Oil can run up the return line and discharge line, oil in the process tube will not hurt the fridge or operation. The worst is having oil in the discharge line

If you have no choice and must to lay the refrigerator down, a box or something under the top part of the fridge propping the top to be higher than the bottom ( when you lay it down ) would also help keep the oil in compressor.

When you get the fridge to the location you want it....keep the fridge in the up-rite position for at least the same amount of time that the refrigerator was laying down to help any oil in the lines to drain back into the compressor before plugging it back in...after the few hours are over, then plug it in and have a cold drink :-)

Don't forget to tape the shelves down inside the fridge and also to tape the doors closed when you attempt to move your refrigerator
                          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

By the way that's a killer old fridge. Should work forever. I can't believe how clean it is!

Also be careful if it's the kind that latches when it shuts. I have heard a few horror stories of small children hiding in old fridges in vacant houses. No need to discuss the rest here....

Comment

That is stylin'! Looks like 50's design! I think it would be a shame putting that thing in your cellar! Give it a good clean and make it an eyecatcher in your kitchen!
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X