Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What CDs next? Iced Earth, At the Gates...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What CDs next? Iced Earth, At the Gates...?

I really dig bands like InFlames and the Haunted. I've been told At the Gates were pretty much of the first really big melodic heavy metal bands that sound similar. But I've never actually heard them and youtube doesn't have that much. What album should I get?

Also from Iced Earth I've been told Something Wicked This Way Comes. I have Horror Show and the Dark Saga only.

On the list is also some Blind Lemon Jefferson, Lonnie Johnson and Freddie King

Can't say I know much about At the Gates, but Slaughter of the Soul seems to be where a lot of people start (even thought its their last album). SWTWC needs to be added to your Iced Earth collection ASAP! If you dig In Flames, how much of the Dark Tranquility catalog do you have?

Comment

I have Character. Brilliant album. I have standalone songs, amongst which Final Resistance is AMAZING but I can never find the album...

From In Flames I have Clayman, Whoracle, Soundtrack to your Escape and Come Clarity.

Comment

I dig Slaughter of the Soul. After At The Gates broke up, they eventually turned into The Haunted.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Try The Crown! Re-Route to Remain is a good album also, not the best IF material, but good if you dig Soundtrack. Sweden rocks!
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

If you liked Character, I'd go with Damage Done (has Final Resistance) and Haven. I haven't picked up DT's new album yet. Projector gets mixed reviews from fans, mainly because there are a lot of clean vocals on it (I think its a great album, albeit a one-off compared to their normal style). Their older albums (The Gallery, Skydancer, etc...) are a bit more raw in my opinion.

On a side note, In Flames and Dark Tranquility traded lead singers after their respective first albums.

Comment

Originally posted by pott View Post
              Also from Iced Earth I've been told Something Wicked This Way Comes. I have Horror Show and the Dark Saga only.
              Get the Alive In Athens CD set (3 disc import version instead of the 2 disc version). Or just get the DVD.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nightrage!
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Slaughter of the Soul is considered to be one of, if not the best, Gothenburg-style death metal albums ever...it is amazing.

Comment

Yeah, Slaughter is good but if you get it, you must also pick up Carcass' Heartwork. Unbelievable that it came out in '93. A full two years before Slaughter.
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

While you're at it, you might as well put Dimension Zero on your list too. I only have their first album, Silent Night Fever, but having two In Flames guitarists in the band (one current, one former) might make them a familiar starting point. More aggressive than In Flames, and extremely close to Slaughter-era At the Gates. You should also check out the first couple of Soilwork albums, the first Darkane album, and Dissection if you like black metal mixed with melodic death. Carnal Forge would be another band to look into.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have no clue what black metal is. I don't do genres usually... never heard of any of these bands except Soilwork by name though I never heard their songs. I'm picky about singing/screaming, so more aggressive than InFlames I don't know if I'd like...

Comment

If you like Gothenburg style death metal you have to check out Unanimated. One of the old bands. They disbanded long ago. Check out their album Ancient God of evil.

Flo
                          http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

I don't see how a whole genre can be named after a town :s I'm sure some of these bands sound radically different from the others? What IS Gothenburg metal?

Comment

It's the melodic death metal style that at the gates and some other bands started.
                              I am sure there are bands from Gothenburg who don't play this style but in the metal scene this town really is known for this style.
                              It the same with the term Bay Area Thrash Metal. Surely not all bands from the area play the same style.

Flo
                              http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Working...
                              X