I found the perfect website for you fett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found the perfect website for you fett

Find incredible deals at Home | ShopGoodwill.com , the go-to online thrift store for gently used clothing, electronics, vintage jewelry and more. Save big today!

Don't knock Thrift Stores - not all the stuff people give away is junk.

I had a pair of Acoustic Research AR2a from the late '50s in near-mint condition that I got for $7 when I worked for one of those places, as well as a Fender Musicmaster bass for about $20 just because they knew Fender was a "big name" but had no idea on value.

Unfortunately I got rid of both before I knew what I had: the bass body and neck went in the trash after I tried to de-fret it and chewed up the board. The body had been refinished previously with household furniture stain and was rather crappy-looking.

I traded the speakers to a local shop for a Vantage FV575 Flying V.

Had I held onto them for a few more years, I coulda sold the speakers for about $600-$800 on Ebay, and the bass for about the same price to another local shop.

Still got the pickup though

But I've seen people give away absolute trash. Clothes that weren't fit for animal bedding. Bedding that wasn't fit for the cheapest Singapore whorehouse, and other stuff people were too lazy to haul to the dump.

I've also seen stuff that was well-kept. My Mother only donated clothes that she WOULD wear if she could still fit in them. If they were too worn or faded or shabby from years of housework/yardwork in them, she threw them out.
    The local Mission was always glad to see her coming because they knew she brought good stuff, which helped them out more than the usual worn-out junk everyone else gave.

It's one thing to say "well, they give these old raggedy clothes to poor people who would be glad to have them because they have so little", as my Mother used to say to me when I refused to donate my old worn out pants and shirts, but as I told her: just because they can't afford the new stuff doesn't mean they want to walk around looking like it. I wouldn't give away that which I would not keep and wear myself because of how ragged it was, even to work in a factory. I'm a confessed slob to a point; I might wear "the things that nobody wears", as the song goes, but that doesn't mean everyone looks good in it. I told her I'd rather go buy all new stuff and take it to the Mission with the tags still on it and the receipt to prove I didn't steal it than see someone trying to get a job in a pair of my old beat up jeans.

After that, instead of boxing up her "good clothes" and shipping them to other family members who could wear them but could easily afford to buy their own, she took them to the Mission.

As well, the Goodwill and other Thrift Stores are a great place to find work clothes for those who have "dirty jobs".

I saw a woman pull up in a brand new Mercedes convertible, wearing a very expensive outfit, march right into the store I worked for to do some shopping. Whether she came out with antiques or rags, I don't know, but the rich know the value of a thrift store just the same as the not-so-rich.

Wow. I ranted unintentionally.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree 100% with NEWC (to big to quote though) People throw stuff away that they have no idea what it is..

Comment

Goodwill has so many clothes already, I usually don't donate old clothes. I always take furniture over there though unless it's super beat up.

But yeah I always shop there before going to a real store. You never know what you might find. It's like a giant garage sale.
        Scott

Comment

Sometimes people pass on, and leave lots of great stuff that their heirs don't want to ever see again etc etc... Ya just never know what you'll get.

Comment

You, my friends, are preaching to the choir.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
            X