what happens when.... (UPS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happens when.... (UPS)

seller sells guitar, ships it fully insured through UPS.

UPS delivers guitar to buyer, leaves it on front porch.

Someone ganks the guitar from the front porch

buyer files claim with seller, claiming seller never shipped guitar, wants money back

Am I S.O.L.? I have all the tracking details from UPS.

Are you the seller or the buyer?

Not knowing which one you are, I would say the onus is on the seller. And that if the buyer can get his money back, he should do it in any manner he can.

The seller erred by not requiring a signature. Without a sig, it's the seller's fault.

I hope you're not the seller.

Comment

I'd say push it on UPS.

Comment

I've had UPS leave it even when I required a sig. I'd go after UPS too...

I'm assuming your the seller...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Seller's fault. Need the package to be signed before delivering.
          Sam

Comment

If the sig was required, then it's UPS's fault.

Comment

I think even without a required sig that UPS is responsible. Leaving a big ticket item on the front porch in plain view is just ridiculous. And who knows? The UPS guy might have marked it as delivered and just kept the package.

My attitude is that once the guitar is shipped, it is no longer my responsibility.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                My attitude is that once the guitar is shipped, it is no longer my responsibility.
                Tell that to the CC company when you get hit with a charge back.
                I require a tracking number, insurance and proof of delivery with a signature on any high dollar item I ship.
                -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  Tell that to the CC company when you get hit with a charge back.
                  I require a tracking number, insurance and proof of delivery with a signature on any high dollar item I ship.
                  +1

Seller's responsibility stands until feedback is received. Even after a feedback is received, a buyer can ask for a refund/feedback withdrawal. IMO the responsibility never ends. Especially with "buyer friendly" paypal, its always a pain in the neck for the seller. Who knows, the buyer might be inside the house, after UPS leaves the package, he might keep the package, but still file for a non-receipt. For large items UPS should get signature confirmation. My $800 camcorder was left at my doorstep by DHL. I was so pissed with them! Luckily it did not get stolen. But at present times, who knows?
                  Sam

Comment

DHL left a $200k cashier's check on my doorstep on a Friday afternoon a few years ago. Luckily it was still there when I got back Sunday evening.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I do at least 100K a year in shipping with UPS ground and Freight......Always require a signiatiure and always require "call notification"....I would go after UPS....that was "lazy service" and they need to provide "customer service" and replace the guitar....(always insure it for three times what you paid for it...as you will be lucky to get a third...which is what you wanted anyway...right!)

Dont waste your time with the lowly customer service rep...as to speak to a Cust. Serv. Supervisor.....and very nicely explain what UPS did wrong by leaving such an item without a signature....and they should make it good !
                      Good luck,
                      Sca

Comment

If a buyer wants a signature to be required that is his responsibility. It is an extra option that is not standard. I personally am never home when things are delivered so I HATE it when signatures are required. That means I have to drive out to some office to get my "delivery"

I assume a buyer wants the cheapest shipping possible unless they state otherwise, in which case I'll send it however they want.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                          If a buyer wants a signature to be required that is his responsibility. It is an extra option that is not standard. I personally am never home when things are delivered so I HATE it when signatures are required. That means I have to drive out to some office to get my "delivery"

I assume a buyer wants the cheapest shipping possible unless they state otherwise, in which case I'll send it however they want.

Dno if it's possible for you but i usually get my things delivered @ work. They don't mind, we got a reception desk for this kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by scaristei View Post
                            always insure it for three times what you paid for it...as you will be lucky to get a third...which is what you wanted anyway...right!
                            I dont think that is possible. unless you have done it. At least with USPS, its not. You can only insure for the amount you paid originally for the item. I wanted to insure a $300 amp for $500 and the answer was 'no'.
                            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                              I dont think that is possible. unless you have done it. At least with USPS, its not. You can only insure for the amount you paid originally for the item. I wanted to insure a $300 amp for $500 and the answer was 'no'.
                              Easy fix......... don't tell them what the actual value is. Simply state that you want to insure the package for $500. Like a USPS worker knows the actual value of what's being shipped anyway.
                              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
                              X