what happens when.... (UPS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
    If a buyer wants a signature to be required that is his responsibility. It is an extra option that is not standard. I personally am never home when things are delivered so I HATE it when signatures are required. That means I have to drive out to some office to get my "delivery"

I assume a buyer wants the cheapest shipping possible unless they state otherwise, in which case I'll send it however they want.
    This is not good business.
    I don't care how "cheap" the buyer wants the shipping.
    MY terms are set to cover MY ass in the event the shipment gets lost/stolen/damaged or the buyer is a dick and tries to deny receipt.

For me, it's not an option. A signature and insurance are REQUIRED or I won't do the deal.

Anything less and you're just asking for trouble.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey View Post
      Easy fix......... don't tell them what the actual value is. Simply state that you want to insure the package for $500. Like a USPS worker knows the actual value of what's being shipped anyway.
      Actually, from what I understand, if you file a claim they do their homework before they pay the specific amount. If you insure a cheap Fender Squire worth $100 for $1000, guess what you only get $100.

I usually just get insurance for the amount of the final bid. To me that is the most accurate market value, what someone is willing and has paid for the specific item.
      Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by krimson View Post
        Actually, from what I understand, if you file a claim they do their homework before they pay the specific amount. If you insure a cheap Fender Squire worth $100 for $1000, guess what you only get $100.

I usually just get insurance for the amount of the final bid. To me that is the most accurate market value, what someone is willing and has paid for the specific item.
        Hmmmmmm... interesting. So, they need the actual item in their hands before starting the claims process? (can you tell I've never had to file a claim?)
        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey View Post
          Hmmmmmm... interesting. So, they need the actual item in their hands before starting the claims process? (can you tell I've never had to file a claim?)
          What they typically do is ask for a receipt for the item so they can see how much was paid for it. I'm sure they do research to verify the pirce on the receipt is accurate. If someone bought a Squier and was sent a receipt for 2k do you think they would just cut a check for 2k?

Comment

+1
            yes, they want you to provide them with an actual receipt or some form of purchase before they give you the money.
            Sam

Comment

I don't know if they do "research", but we have an item that is shipped via UPS Freight....it is large and often gets f'd up - over the years, we have learned to have the factory/manufacturer who "drop ships" for us to list the item at full retail, which is what our customers pay, not what we pay....and in turn, when we ship "used" versions of this item, we do the same thing....even though the customer paid less.....We simply state the listed price in our catalogue for a claim......If you are dealing with a "collectable" item, I would imagine that you could use the "guitar blue book".....I once purchased on ebay a "collectable guitar" (which I got very cheaply), that was destroyed in shipping. I had the forsight to insure the item for three times what I paid...and which was around 20% more than it might cost to find another in a vintage guitar shop....I used Ed Romans as one of my price guages...and sent UPS to Ed Romans to ck out the price...they paid me a little less than 60 % of what I had insured it for - which was about 20% more than what I had paid....! UPS Ground is a completely different business, and is less likely to own up to mistakes!

Comment

Working...
              X