"Torment", latest internet rage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Torment", latest internet rage.

This thing has been online for 116 day and no one has solved it yet.

It starts here: http://www.grngecko.com/torment.html

I have already figured some pages out, through A LOT of frigging searching and webquesting.....

Try it, help me and maybe we'll solve it!

-------------

SPOILER ALERT:

Answers:

1st riddle: torquere ('twist', which can be deduced from 'twisted' in the introductory text)
    2nd riddle midnight (highlight text)
    3rd riddle: ewreerusufre (ROT-13 encryption)
    4th riddle: kryptos (kryptos stone, through morse code) (the memorial stone also has the date '1822' on top, you can just make it out. Ulysses S Grant was born in 1822. The coordinates contained by the morse code (when deciphered back to front) are the coordinates to Grant's Memorial in Washington DC.)

And now I'm stuck at the 5th riddle. I'm sure it has got something to do with King Tut(ankhamun). The picture is of a golden/fiery scarab (embodyment of egyptian sun god of resurrection).

The previous riddle (3rd) with the Kryptos stone also leads to clues about King Tut (as the messages on the Kryptos stone, refer to the discovery of king tut's tomb). The kryptos stone is a work of art outside of the CIA headquarters, which is covered in encrypted messages. It is made by a former CIA cryptologist.

The math riddle is insane and I don't know what the solution is at this point.

So this is where I am at now:

Anyone care to puzzle along?
    Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 08-06-2007, 02:05 PM.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

A friend who's helping me (Hiatus6 on the MP forums) had the following revelation:

I read in the Kryptos (4th section page, that a "T" is the marking point for the cipher. I'm wondering if the cross symbol indicates a "T" so that we use that as some base point. Apparently, they were saying if you write out all of this code in one long line, then wrap it around something cylindrical, lining up the "T's", or in this case crosses, you were supposed to be able to figure out the cipher. This is a huge leap, but it's all I've got for right now. So, I'm going to start working on that.
    This is the site I found (kryptos), in which the kryptos riddle is described and possible solutions are suggested: http://members.aol.com/SciRealm/Kryptos.html
    See how it all connects. You would possibly have to use the same ways of deciphering on the riddle...

Also, note the symbols: "¶", which occur three times in the text. These are left in there with a reason. My guess is these are clues as to where the text was moved to the next line (by pressing enter) or where the text would have to be 'backspaced' in order to get it on one line again and to complete the code decryption using the Kryptos cylinder solution...
    Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 08-06-2007, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Requires too much thinking.
      I have better things to waste my mind on.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        Requires too much thinking.
        I have better things to waste my mind on.
        +1. My brain hurts from reading all that stuff...

Need to go watch Jerry Springer to ballence it all out...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

GOR and dudes..please forgive my evergrowing dumbness..

I just had a cute girl with "scary" make up on looking at me..with a heartbeat and theme music..I clicked on everthing but that was it..

I thought it was a "joke"..I was waiting for her to scream at me or something..I dunno.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hehe, don't worry guys. I know NewcenStein will probably be as infatuated with this as I am!

Anyways we found the solution to the 'bug' riddle:

http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/substitution.php

There is a code there named 'gold bug' if you use that to decipher the riddle you get:

THIS IS THE END BEAUTIFUL FRIEND THIS IS THE END MY ONLY FRIEND THE
            END YOU MUST IDENTIFY THE LOCATION SURROUNDING NORTH FORTYEIGHT
            DEGREES FIFTYONE POINT SEVEN ONE SEVEN MINUTES EAST TWO DEGREES
            TWENTY THREE POINT SIX FIVE ZERO MINUTES TO CONTINUE OTHERWISE FOR
            YOU THIS IS THE END MY FRIEND

------

The coordinates are of the famous cemetary in Paris. Buried there are: Jean-François Champollion — decipher of the hieroglyphs and father of the Egyptology.

But also: JIM MORRISON!! And the text obviously refers to him...

Comment

Any cryptologists in the house?

I need to crack an immensely hard polyalphabetical encryption...

Comment

I think Tut's tomb was rediscovered in 1922 also
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep, Ron! I had that in my info sheet, but it proved useless at the time.

I've since cracked a polyalphabetical script:

Here are the latest steps I've taken:

----> Here you had to grab pen and paper and translate the cryptic message. You can make out 'FIRST THREE' in the bottom line if you look really carefully. I (and my mother ) used that as a base and cracked the text in about 45min
                  __________________________________________________ ______

--->Now this is insane. Did researching and turned out it was Polyalphabetical encryption. I looked at the text and sometimes you can see single capitalized letters. These could pretty much only be 'I' (or perhaps 'A' or 'O') but you can be fairly certain they're 'I', so we put that in the back of our heads.

Then I looked for the most dominant capitalized letter. Which is: 'Z' (it appears three times in the code). When counting the number of characters between each Z you get two numbers: 14 and 28.

Both are divisable by 7. Now in order for 'Z' to appear again as the code for the real letter 'I', you would have had to have gone through your entire 'group' (or 'key'). So given that both numbers are divisable by 7, the keyword HAD to be 7 letters. My mom had an awesome revelation this morning and said: 'TORMENT' is seven letters. She used that as a key and she woke me about an hour ago and told me she had cracked the code!

Basically: 'TORMENT' is the key. You take your coded text and above each letter of the coded text you write a letter of 'TORMENT'.

Like so:

tor men tt orm e nttormen tt or....
                  Aid, zsg utr wav n uxuzzrrk. LC ua....

Now you take another piece of paper and write down 'TORMENT' in big letters.

Under each letter of TORMENT on the new page you draw two columns (so that's 14 columns).

In each of the left columns you write your regular alphabet. Now we already guessed 'Z' in the code represents the real letter 'I'. So when you've written 'torment' above the entire coded text, you simply look for the letter of 'Torment' that is above the Z (it was the 'r' of torment that was above each Z in this case).

So on your new page under the R, in the right column you know that the letter Z is used for I. So in our right column you write the 'z' next to the letter I (of the regular alphabet of your left column).

Then you continue finding clues to fill in all of your columns. Then it's just a matter of checking the coded text and for each coded letter, looking at which letter of 'torment' is above it, then going to your new page and seeing which column that is and thus which alphabet symbol was used to replace the original thing.

The decrypted text gives you 'planeta americana' (american cockroach), so you enter that as your solution and you get to the next page:

Comment

and when you're done with all of this, you'll get a knock on the door, by two men in black suits, who'll say this is the adress of the one that cracked the code, and you'll get shot in the head.

it's been nice knowing ya man
                    :P
                    You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Great stuff GOR. I wish I had the time to help you, I love crazy shit like this. Keep us posted on your progress.
                      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

edit: okay I got the cemetary one (I think) but now all I see is da Vinci's "Lady with an Ermine". No other clues.
                        Last edited by Spivonious; 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM.
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

I just had a cute girl with "scary" make up on looking at me..with a heartbeat and theme music..I clicked on everthing but that was it..

I thought it was a "joke"..I was waiting for her to scream at me or something..I dunno.

scroll down Bill.
                          Scott

Comment

"Lady with an ermine"

The things just get more and more insane everytime. Just did another polyalphabetic vigere script, now it's a numbers and letters script...

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

That's the chick from The Ring. You're going to die in seven days. Have fun.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X