What happened to "Labor Law"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to "Labor Law"?

I just came back from my "Quicky Mart". They have a new lady there. She got a load of me on her first day.:ROTF: She got me again on her second day. But, this sucks bigtime. We got to talking. I asked her why they don't let you sit on a stool? The Circle K rules state that a cashier has to stand. Not only that, but she told me she works an 8 hour shift with NO BREAKS and NO LUNCH TIME. That's BS. But, she needs the job.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

I remember those days. I used to have to wait 4 hrs until the other person came in to help. couldn't even go to the shitter. Really sucked on the big lotto days. ringing up gas and tickets. $10,000 in sales by 11am I would get fired now I can't wan't that long anymore.:ROTF:

Comment

This lady is 52 years old. WTF is with these people? Trust me, when I see the owner, I will speak my mind.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 10-12-2008, 10:16 PM.
        Just a guitar player...

Comment

So here's this gal dealing with me.:ROTF: I, being a Viking god-like pain in the ass, pointed out to her that you can't have your hand on your hip when dealing with people. Very bad. Turns out she was supporting her back. :ROTF:

Comment

I know here in Texas it's mandatory for an employer to give you 30 minutes for every 4 hours you work.
            My Toys:
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
            '94 Dinky HX in Black
            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Most labor laws (including lunch breaks and such) vary by state. The Fed's don't have any law stipulating a certain amount of time must be granted for lunch (although they should). The whole non-stool thing is BS. I worked for an employer who had the same rules.....I sat on the counter.......

Browse through this forum sometime---it's quite "eye opening" on the lack of protection an actual worker receives under law.

www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Honestly she needs to go find a new job. Even if she went all out and got the state involved and won, she would still probably get fired. If she really likes working as a cashier, she should go work for a grocery store. They tend to treat thier employees a little better than your average stop-and-rob. The supply and demand for those kind of jobs is not in the worker favor so the employers know they can pretty much do whatever they want or just replace you with a highschool kid.

Matt

Comment

Owners of quickie marts basically know that their stores are going to get held up every few years. You couldn't pay me enough to work in one, unless it was the only job left in existence.

Comment

Here in PA it's law to give 30 minutes for every 6 hours worked.

As far as the no-stool thing, I think that's crazy. My feet would hurt so badly after a shift at Blockbuster.
                    Scott

Comment

That's why I belong to a union. I don't have to take any kind of BS from anyone unless it's specified in the contract. 15 min. break at 9:30, 30 min. lunch at 12:00, and 15 min. break at 3:00, anything over 8 is time + 1/2, anything over 10 is double, Sat is time + 1/2 and Sun and holidays are double. Collective bargaining does have its drawbacks just like everything else, but it has provided me with a living wage.
                      "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Hey, jobs are getting hard to get. If youre 52, jobs are impossible to get. I looked for quite a while recently as my shop is so slow in this economy I need more money. I'm working in hell right now and haven't worked this hard in 25 years. AND, I'm making less money that I was then to boot.

Only good thing about this job, is when I'm running 5-8 miles a day in academy and then out wrestling with sweaty shirtless losers when I get out, I'll appreciate not carrying, cutting, welding, loading, unloading and grinding metal in a 110 degree shop...

Ugh...

I feel for the lady..

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                          This lady is 52 years old. WTF is with these people? Trust me, when I see the owner, I will speak my mind.
                          Unless you're ready to take on her bills I wouldn't do that. You'll get her fired and if she needs the job she won't thank you for that. It's unfair, true, but you standing on principle is not going to pay her rent, and you boycotting the store isn't really going to hurt the store much either.

Sometimes you have to be practical, Don Quixote. Your heart's in the right place but don't make it worse for her. The only thing worse than working a shitty job that you hate, but need, is losing the shitty job and having to look for another shitty job.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I won't do anything. I just feel the injustice. Trust me. My plate is full.

Comment

Hey, it's pro0bably more gratifying to vent about it here anyway! You'll get more agreement from us than from the store owner at least!
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X