Just curious about the VH DLR thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious about the VH DLR thing

I'm just curious, but am I the only person on this planet that couldn't give two shits about Eddie Van Halen, his guitar, or Van Halen touring with David Lee Roth? Or if the tour is a train wreck or they all die, or they all live, or anything even remotely about them?

I am not, and never have been a fan of Van Halen. I have never liked Eddies guitar tone, and I hate music that's basically all about the singers cock and getting laid.

I don't mean this to take away from EVh's obvious talent and contributions to music. But I'm just not a fan of him or anything he's ever produced. And just looking through some of the youtube videos that people have posted recently taking place long before Eddie became this 'guitar god' you can clearly see others were doing lots of things he later took credit for.

Sorry to all those who are going to be offended by this. Actually I'm not, tough shit. I hate your guitar hero.

This isn't intended to start a fight. But I see so much talk about how great he is and I just don't see it.

*And yes I'm expecting hell fire from all the EVH worshipers.*
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

And the point of that post was what exactly? So you can cry all wounded when people bitch at you?.....

There are plenty of respected people I don't like, but like most people who have respect for other people's opinion, I don't just start shit for the sake of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a 'blind' EVH devotee, but I do like much of his pre 1992 music, and more importantly I respect his influence.
    Last edited by neilli; 08-12-2007, 02:14 AM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
      I hate music that's basically all about the singers cock and getting laid.
      So you hate almost all Rock music?

Comment

Sorry to all those who are going to be offended by this. Actually I'm not, tough shit. I hate your guitar hero.

This isn't intended to start a fight. But I see so much talk about how great he is and I just don't see it.

*And yes I'm expecting hell fire from all the EVH worshipers.*
        now how could that statement be offensive to anyone? man... what would you say to start a fight then? :ROTF:

Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
        Amp... Pioneer
        Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

I like this guy.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I am not an EVH lover or hater. I am comfortably in the middle.
            I dislike how he let himself (physically and mentally) go to waste on the last decade. Talents like him are once in a generation.
            EVH is a self taught guitar player. He did things that not only where unheard of but totally innovative.

I do not how old you are or your musical inclinations, but if you ever picked up a guitar and tried to play his stuff, as unorthodox as they are they are also brilliant.
            You can criticize his ego, drug and alcohol abuse or decision making. But one thing you can't criticize is his guitar playing, that is just flat out ignorant.
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I'm guessing your young...

If you were old enough to remember the 70's, and liked Rock music, you would have liked Van Halen. It was the times. The times created the music, always have. So if you were alive and kicking and remembering 1978, you were there with Van Halen. Unless you liked Disco. Then... Well... Thats your problem...

I like Eddie. I respect Eddie. I feel Eddie has done enough that he can do what he wants. He OWES us nothing. He gave us exactly what we wanted and changed the face of guitar playing forever. If he wants to bow out and slowly poison himself with whatever, I'm cool with that. I give him the respect to do whatever he wants. He owes me nothing...

But this is obviously strarted to get people rilled up and start some arguements. I find that pretty weak...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I'm about to explode!

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  And the point of that post was what exactly? So you can cry all wounded when people bitch at you?.....

There are plenty of respected people I don't like, but like most people who have respect for other people's opinion, I don't just start shit for the sake of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a 'blind' EVH devotee, but I do like much of his pre 1992 music, and more importantly I respect his influence.
                  Sorry to burst any bubbles but people bitching on this forum is par for the course and would hardly cause any hurt feelings.

I just don't understand the appeal to EVH or Van Halen. I can't stand them, I'm just trying to find out if I am alone in this or if I have truely missed something about that band. I just don't see it and I don't see EVH as any god or anything entirely special. The most I explore music different music the more I see how over rated he is and how under rated many many MANY other guitarsist were who were around a lot longer.

In fact I am almost offended by how much music is out there that doesn't get props. My god I recently heard all sorts of county guitarists who were playing kick ass guitar solos before EVH even knew what a guitar was.

Maybe it's just something personal to me because I grew up with all this "if you don't know this guy you don't know guitar" bullshit and I'm finding out now just how much better music has been out there.

The EVH and VH people which bitch and moan regardless, and I really don't care. Their stuff bores me.

Comment

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      I'm guessing your young...

If you were old enough to remember the 70's, and liked Rock music, you would have liked Van Halen. It was the times. The times created the music, always have. So if you were alive and kicking and remembering 1978, you were there with Van Halen. Unless you liked Disco. Then... Well... Thats your problem...

I like Eddie. I respect Eddie. I feel Eddie has done enough that he can do what he wants. He OWES us nothing. He gave us exactly what we wanted and changed the face of guitar playing forever. If he wants to bow out and slowly poison himself with whatever, I'm cool with that. I give him the respect to do whatever he wants. He owes me nothing...

But this is obviously strarted to get people rilled up and start some arguements. I find that pretty weak...

Thank you, I will take my age being 36 as young

Starting an arguement isn't the point of this. I also bite my tongue in every thread on here that brings up VH or EVH. If I were looking for an arguement I'd go into one of those threads and say something about them. I don't expect or care if anyone agrees with me, but I am curious if I am the only one who missed the boat on that group.

This isn't about EVH owing anyone.

And really this whole thread was a some what angry responce to the whole Van Halen tour, not the VH part but how people seem to be almost taking bets on when it's going to fizzle out or who's going to get fired when, or who's playing bass. I shouldn't have made it out to be an assult on VH so much as I did, that was my mistake.

Lemme see if I can say this in a nicer way. I am not interested at all in Van Halens music, EVH's style, stone, or 25,000 dollar guitar, nothing personal best of luck to them on the tour. Am I the only person on here who isn't into them musically at all?

If people get rilled up about someone hating VH music then that's the weak part. It's *JUST* music. Just like people getting rilled up about a certain bands lead singer making a statement about Gwar not being musically relevent. Who cares what non Gwar fans think?

My opinion on the band should not matter to anyone else. And it sure should not mean enough to anyone to get rilled up about it.

Comment

Originally posted by dk2magic View Post
                        now how could that statement be offensive to anyone? man... what would you say to start a fight then? :ROTF:

Honestly meant in tognue and cheek, and it was late and I was in a mean spirit mood. now looking at that.. uh how do I delete threads?

Comment

Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it sucks, it's just not your tastes. There's a lot of newer stuff that people talk about on this board but I don't go saying that this one or that one sucks ...

You reach a maturity level as a musician when you start to realize that it's all about artistic freedom. One mans treasure might be anothers crap, but art is all speculative. It doesn't make it good or bad, just different.

I see by your profile you say you're 36 which means you grew up in a very musically talented time. That time period laid groundwork for other influence just as Zepplin and Sabbath made their marks...

just because you don't like a painting it doesn't mean someone else is a bonehead for buying it .... but then hey, once you open up your mind your talent will follow ..
                          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I have heard every VH album, I just don't see it.

Honestly I wish I did because obviously he means something to a lot of people.

Mayday, I grew up listening to Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Randy Rhoads, a lot of the british metal bands, Priest, etc. Not to mention far too much Honky Tonk music, and BB King, Ray Charles, Fats Domino.

I don't know what it is about VH that just makes me dislike them greatly. Probably the fact that people are so pushy about him being the best.

I really wish I could agree but I can't.

Someone mentioned it was ok to Criticize his ego and drug and alcohal abuse, I disagree. That's private matters and I really don't dislike the man at all nor the other members to pick on actual health oriented issues. (Yes I did say I don't care if they all die. I'll go ahead and point that out. and no I don't care in a sense that it wouldn't be the end of my world. but that's not a wish for it to happen either) VH music has been pushed on me by a lot of people over the years, I just don't see the appeal.
                            Last edited by eakinj; 08-12-2007, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Thank you, I will take my age being 36 as young

Starting an arguement isn't the point of this. I also bite my tongue in every thread on here that brings up VH or EVH. If I were looking for an arguement I'd go into one of those threads and say something about them. I don't expect or care if anyone agrees with me, but I am curious if I am the only one who missed the boat on that group.

This isn't about EVH owing anyone.

And really this whole thread was a some what angry responce to the whole Van Halen tour, not the VH part but how people seem to be almost taking bets on when it's going to fizzle out or who's going to get fired when, or who's playing bass. I shouldn't have made it out to be an assult on VH so much as I did, that was my mistake.

Lemme see if I can say this in a nicer way. I am not interested at all in Van Halens music, EVH's style, stone, or 25,000 dollar guitar, nothing personal best of luck to them on the tour. Am I the only person on here who isn't into them musically at all?

If people get rilled up about someone hating VH music then that's the weak part. It's *JUST* music. Just like people getting rilled up about a certain bands lead singer making a statement about Gwar not being musically relevent. Who cares what non Gwar fans think?

My opinion on the band should not matter to anyone else. And it sure should not mean enough to anyone to get rilled up about it.
                              Then whats the point of coming on this board and starting a thread about a guitarist/band you don't even care for? You ask if your alone in your feelings? You really need a thread to answer that? All their popularity and the fact that people are talking about the tour is not proof enough? You say that no one should get mad at your opinion. OK. But then why did you start a thread about something you don't like? Then think its out of line for people to defend their position? Your thoughts on the music don't matter? Then why start the thread? That doesn't make any sense to me...

You seem like a cool dude. But if your in a mean spirited mood, I would suggest not starting threads that you know will cause some hostility...
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X