There is hope for the kiddos! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is hope for the kiddos! :)

We had relatives over today - including one of my teeny cousins, who was here with his parents. Not sure if I've spoken about him before on here.

He's something like 14-15 years old. I knew since before that he's heavilly into Van Halen, Sabbath, older Metallica, etc. So obviously, instead of socializing with the grown-up people, he and I went down to the basement, fired up my Marshall, and plugged in the Model 6.

Since last time I saw him, he's obviously been playing a lot of guitar too - he knew a lot of riffs out of songs, ranging from Bon Jovi, Crüe, Def Leppard, Maiden, and stuff like that. He had never played a Floyded guitar before though, so I showed him how to do Dimebag style squeals, flutters, and that "ponies on ice" thing. I also put on a drum track, so we could take turns jamming. He had a hard time putting the guitar down, and I'm pretty sure he'll be saving up for a floyded guitar for himself now.

Family gatherings should have more of that! The worst part is that he will probably play way better than me next time he comes here.

You've branded the youngster he'll never be the same now.
    He will never forget the "basement experience" it'll be a golden memory for him. The next family get together he will be looking forward to another jam session in the basement.
    Last edited by Soap; 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

You have undoubtably made the kind of impression on him that will make him mess up his school work, put his girlfriend second, turn him into a practice-room hermit, make him scan E-bay/Loot/Pawn shops for more and more gear, and cause arguments at home:
      "Why do you need more guitars, you can only play one at a time etc etc Go on then, play us a tune then, blah blah"
      "Hey, how about I play 'Crack you over the head with this one then shove it up your arse' ?"
      BAAAAANG
      "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"
      Squelch
      Etc
      etc

You have fed him a shot of hard drugs, his days will become dedicated to thoughts of getting his hands on a Floyded axe, he simply won't be able to function without doing elephant noises, his own kit now will be just junk (he'll keep it though, it just needs adding to, not chucking out).
      He's going to pursue rock stardom, beer, chicks and free guitars with wacky paintjobs......................in short, you just fucked up his life.

Good for you!!!

He can join our happy club of idiots who sold our souls for "useless" lumps of wood, and it hasn't done any of us any harm.

Well, most of us, anyway.

Oh, and prepare to be pwned the next time he visits and teaches you some serious licks...
      "Hey, just do that again, c'mon, show me how you did that......."
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Sunbane come to my place in California please heh heh
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Awesome..I bought ny son a Jackson for Christmas..He plays it every single day for hours.. like I used to.

He wanted me to show him all my slop that took 30 years to cultivate. I'm not a "theory" player at all. I had to analyze my "slop"so I could show it to him, and he soaked it up like a sponge. I showed him diminshed minor scales in fourths, Penatonics, Speed picking and how to get that "Metal" chug tone with the proper palm muting.

He is now constructing entire songs. Sometimes I'll hear something he's doing and I'll be like "WTF??..Hey, show me that". I actually have a hard time learning it.

I bought him a bass..in one weekend he was slappin' to "Higher Ground"..It took me nearly 10 years to start slapping.

Vinny is my writing partner. I wrote "High Speed Death Roll" with him when he was seven years old. He has become a demon on drums. He has proved himself more than worthy. I'm pretty hard on him when we play..but it got him where he is..now he's better than ANY drummer I have played with in my life!

My wife approached me and told me that Vinny has a song he wants to show you but he's nervous. Hos he shown you yet? No, he hasn't. So went to him and said ?Vin I hear you have a song, I like to hear it. He played it from begging to and..it blew me away. All I could do is grab him and give him a big kiss..I actually was tearing up..so I left the room. I felt so goo I passed this torch and he is caryying it much beter than I am.

Believe me, whenever I have writers block, and hear a part he's playing that works..it's really hard NOT to steal it..and I told him that!

Our kids are the future of Metal..they may go where we always wanted to. I will support whatever goals he has.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh, my son will be 13 this October and he is where I was in my mid 20's...without drums..I'm not even close to being a drummer.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
            X