Christian metal/prog recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian metal/prog recommendations?

This may be a touchy subject to some, but I was wondering what some of you would recommend for Christian prog/metal bands. Bill - I'm curious to see if you have any recommendations given your extensive knowledge of the metal world.

I've got discs from Whitecross, Narnia and Seventh Seal and I have some CD's on order from Harmony, Majestic Vanguard and another Narnia disc.

By the way, I'm still listening to "secular" bands, so have no fear in that regard. As for what other bands/styles that I like, I'm a child of the '80's so VH, TNT, Ratt, Maiden, etc. are cool to me. And I like a lot of progressive stuff like Dream Theater, Rush, Symphony X, Circus Maximus, etc. I also dig Joe Stump, Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai and others of that ilk. With all of that said, I'm not a thrash fan.

So let me know what music recommendations you have.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Narnia is a Christian band? Guess I've never actually listened to the lyrics lol

I guess I probably listen to some more Christian bands but to be honest I rarely listen to any metal lyrics. I'm even in a "Christian" band but all that really means is the guy who writes the lyrics is Christian.We will probably fit your description if/when we get something recorded. Sort of power/prog metal with Christian lyrics.

You've probably already heard of them, but I believe Edguy is a Christian band which is mostly straight up feel-good power metal.

Comment

Aletheian is a metal band with prog influences... They are kind of similar to Death. I've seen them live and it was an amazing show.

Becoming the Archetype is another one, though they are more mainstream metalcore nowadays. I loved their last album.

Extol would be a good choice. They are pretty cool.

Altruist is a good band. I know some of the guys. You can find them on Myspace.

Tourniquet has some cool odd tempo'd stuff.

Check out www.firestream.net for more info on Christian prog bands.
      Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
      The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Aletheian kicks ass.
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Ask Bill. On second thoughts, don't ask Bill
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

King's X
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Stryper?

Comment

Deicide. Just to remind you.
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I already have some stuff by King's X and Edguy (though I'm not exactly certain that Edguy qualifies as Christian - "Lavatory Love Machine" is a great tune but probably not a church song.) I'll have to check out Deicide and Stryper, who I wasn't really into back in the day.

Thor - thanks for the link to Firestream. I hadn't stumbled across that site until I got your link. And thanks for your recommendations - I'll have to dig up some clips.
                  Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Do the new Christian Metal bands have cookie monster singers as well?
                    Honest question, I really don't know...
                    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

As I Lay Dying has a cookie monster singer I think.. they are a Christian band
                      Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                      The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                        Deicide. Just to remind you.
                        LOL :ROTF:
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

For old school death metal with gutteral cookie monster vocals....Crimson Thorn is the band.

For other stuff....Believer were really good, Extol's early stuff was great. I like much of Living Sacrifice's stuff too. I thought the first The Showdown CD was awesome.

I'll have to scan my CD collection when I get home. It's gets hard to remember off memory.
                          Last edited by Chad; 08-16-2007, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I think something like Mortification is a Christian death metal band

Comment

Deicide, Slayer... emm I guess I kinda failed this one
                              Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Working...
                              X