XM radio in my car..... questions inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM radio in my car..... questions inside

I have a 2006 nissan maxima that has a SAT button on it. When I press the SAT button, it says "sat radio not installeD" . I am assuming that this means the car is pre-wired for Satellite radio but it is not installed/activated or whatever...

My question is what do I need to do? I really dont want to get an fm modulator or dash unit or anything. I'd prefer to control everything through the factory radio. Is this something I can do?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Go to your Nissan dealer and ask how much the module and antenna cost.
    IIRC, you can choose between XM or Sirius.
    Your car has already been pre-wired, so installation will be pretty quick.

My Honda has an "XM ready" stereo, but it costs nearly $300 to add the actual XM receiver and antenna.
    -Rick

Comment

If you have the option of XM or Sirius, choose the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrust View Post
        If you have the option of XM or Sirius, choose the latter.
        Is that like if you come to a fork in the road, pick up the fork? Oh, you sad latter and not ladder. Nevermind.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Avoid it like the plague.

They will know where you are 24/7, and know what you're listenign to, and how fast you're driving.

Before you know it, they will have the patterns mapped out that you in fact DO drive faster while rocking out "I can't drive 55", and that sogn will be forever banned from radio play.

Plus, it just makes it oen step easier for those pesky aliens to take over.

Comment

Originally posted by GWARGHOUL View Post
            Avoid it like the plague.

They will know where you are 24/7, and know what you're listenign to, and how fast you're driving.

Before you know it, they will have the patterns mapped out that you in fact DO drive faster while rocking out "I can't drive 55", and that sogn will be forever banned from radio play.

Plus, it just makes it oen step easier for those pesky aliens to take over.
            We have Sirius in our Mitsubishi Outlander we just bought and love it. Plus they have a hair metal station, so there is always at least one station playing something good

Comment

XM41 The Boneyard

Comment

I have sirius..love hair nation, howard stern..and the jam station...also they are starting a whole station dedicated to the grateful dead...good stuff

Comment

YEah yeah, they mask all of that intel in some great entertainment don't they???!!

When they come, ypu'll be the first to go.

Comment

I guess I am safe.:ROTF: I still use cassettes. I have GPS though.:ROTF: Go Places Safely. And if I get lost, I ask someone for directions. I really do hate this new, "I know where you are." world.
                    Last edited by fett; 08-20-2007, 02:43 PM.
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

xm48 the squizz
                      Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                      Amp... Pioneer
                      Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

XM41 The Boneyard is the best radio station I've ever heard... They whip out rare stuff, and the playlist is always changing. I rarely hear the same tune twice in a week. You'll hear UFO, Iron Maiden (I've heard Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner and The Duellists for example), old school Metallica (even stuff from AJFA), the list goes on and on... Stuff you would never hear on the radio even when it was popular. I love it!

I heard Hair Nation on Sirius is basically just the "hits" from that era (80's early 90's)... True?

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                          I heard Hair Nation on Sirius is basically just the "hits" from that era (80's early 90's)... True?
                          Yes and no. they play the hits but then they may play less popular songs, like Wanted Man by Ratt, Dokken, and some other relatively obscure things.

Comment

Thor, your Maxima IS pre-wired for XM or Sirius. Nissan is getting away from Sirius on the newer models, so I would go with XM. There is an accessory kit available from Nissan. It contains the mounting bracket for the receiver (goes under front dashboard), the receiver itself and antennae. If I'm not mistaken the kit costs around $450, and I charge installation labor of 3 hours/$204 in my shop.

How do I know these things? I'm a Nissan service manager.

The installation is pretty tricky, but the kit comes with instructions if you feel froggy enough to jump on it.

And yes, the Boneyard kicks ass!

Comment

Razor... good question. It just says satellite on it..

you are a nissan service manager eh?
                              Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                              The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Working...
                              X