Fat kids and school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dg View Post
    Great point about the hf corn syrup, too. Studies are showing that it's worse than cane sugar because of how the body handles it. I try to keep that shit out of my family's diet and it's a real challenge. My wife is on the rampage about the stuff. We're cooking more & more from scratch, which is great but a real PITA some times.
    You can't. HFCS is everywhere. All you have to do when you shop is read the label.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

+10000 on everything that's been said.

I used to drink tons of soda too, but I almost never watched TV and only really got into video games for a few years in my teens. I'm 5'10" and weigh 135lbs. You can blame whatever you want to: McDonalds, carbs, soda, trans fat. The real problem is that kids are taking in 3000 calories and only burning 1200 of them (I got that number from my health class way back when as the number of calories the body burns just living during a day). Where do those extra 1800 calories go? Straight to your gut.
      Scott

Comment

But is true the fatter you get, the fatter your pud gets..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
          You can't. HFCS is everywhere. All you have to do when you shop is read the label.
          And if you manage to find something without HFCS it will most certainly contain Aspartame instead. Of course, Monsanto claims that Aspartame is totally safe....in the same way they claimed that Bovine, Roundup and PCB was/is good stuff....assholes.

Regular old sugar for the win!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            But is true the fatter you get, the fatter your pud gets..
            Maybe, but you won't be able to see it cos of your gut! Anyway, it would be swamped by rolls of flab around your groin. Eeeeew. A half inch long cock that is 4" wide is not going to do you any favours
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I have to say, I spent all of my time outside, but before the age of 13, I had almost died twice doing stupid shit (once at a quarry, once in the woods when I fell into a mudpit), and was driven home in cop cars twice (once for drinking beer from a 6 ounce can, once for throwing an M-80), and also got into a lot of fights. Still I was smart enough to stay away from the hard drugs, unlike all my neighborhood friends. Two of whom are now in jail for murder.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my kids. I'll get them outside but always in some sort of supervised play. My backyard right now is ringed with a big bamboo fence. They can do their thing out there.

Comment

Gym, hah, On Sunday, I helped my buddy hang some doors at a private schools gym, there was one water cooler, a candy vending machine, a chip/cracker vending machine and a Coke machine, right next to the lockers, nothing like getting healthy at school
                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

With all this talk about fat kids (which I agree with the points presented) there is also something else (or at least it is around here in my old school); There seem to be a LOT of skinny/frail looking kids. I think this comes from not eating a lot of stuff of great nutrition value, burning it off, and being left with little from it. I have a friend who eats nothing but junk and is a stick and 6 feet tall. He broke his ankle tripping and falling on concrete. What does that tell ya?

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    I brew 7 gallons of lightly sweatened Iced Tea..about a half cup of sugar per gallon..I'm even tappering that down to to about a quater cup od sugar per gallon..
                    Iced Tea is where it's at I drink that all of the time, maybe a gallon every couple days, but I don't like any sugar in it

Comment

That is true about High-Fructose Corn Syrup. It is cheap and we can't metabolize it properly. So we store it in/as fat. In our neighborhood here, the kids are mostly butterballs. A couple of the kids are what I call 'real fat', as in big boned and structured to carry it properly, so I don't count them among the butterballs. Butterballs are just fat. End of story.

Profit is the motive for HSFC, as it is for many other substitute additives in our food. Definately not health! My wife is one of those who grew up with a mom that cooked everything for the family, and she does the same thing for us. We only eat out on odd occasions that average once or twice a month. My wife keeps us all skinny...lol! Our 12 year old son and 20 year old daughter (who loves the kitchen just like her mom) are slender, and neither have ever had a single cavity.

We limit sweets to one can of soda a day, maybe two if it is hot enough. Our daughter is a tea nut, the more flavors there are, the better. Our son is a milk nut. But they both drink plenty of water daily, and both have taken vitamins starting with the pre-natal ones the wife took. Candy is a Halloween thing, and on rare occasions throughout the year. No desserts with dinner, the food is plenty enough. Combine that with healthy food, and you get kids that are in great shape (same with the parents!). It is that simple.

I grew up outside, but our kids did not get that luxury due to the heavy hand of the law and the loonies out there that prey on kids. I take the kids to play frisbee and our son likes to toss the football. They grew up climbing on jungle jim sets (with parents close at hand), and we walk the beach and camp alot. They are predominantly indoor kids, but they have a healthy lifestyle. Also, home schooling them has its benefits. No need to unlearn the bad habits of others.

It takes a lot to be a hands on parent, but it is as important as ever now. Parental laziness is unhealthy for our kids, and they will develop accordingly. It really is in your hands to mold and shape your kids, it should not be the responsibility of others.

Our daughter works as a parcel worker at a large department store, and she shoves stacks of carts around all day without effort. People (mostly men ) tell her that she should let guys do that work. She fires back with 'Thanks, but then I would not have a job...'. Our kids are not lazy, and if I sound proud of them you can bet your ass that I have reason to after all of the hard work and dedication my wife and I have put into them. They are both beautiful kids, and we only want the best for them. Not what is easiest for us.

Rant over...

Sorry to run on about this, but I see plenty of crappy parents around here, and many do not seem to really care how their kids develop. This is a pet peeve of mine. We hope that the self-value we have instilled in our kids will be passed on the their kids one day. People should care about their health, it is what keeps them alive!

Comment

being Fat is cool nowadays

Comment

It is? You guys have to take care of me because I am 57. But to have a 10 year old kid 15 pounds overweight is a disaster.
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                          X