Original bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original bands

I went to a show tonight. There was 10 bands playing original music. Mostly young kids. It was just awful. There was a guy running sound and I dont want to blame him but it was bad.

I have talked to a lot of these young kids and they all think they can get signed. Most of them don't even have a favorite guitar player. They always tell me the same shit "I don't want to be influenced by anybody I want to be original". Point taken I can understand that.But everybody learns from somebody. Whether it the guy next door or Randy Rhoads.

Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Eric Clapton, Robert Johnson were all influenced by somebody. When will they see the light.
    Just one more guitar!

When someone holds their index fingers hostage.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Scotty those kids are throwbacks from the 90's MTV generation..they don't know what the fuggin' do..as you saw..the're just regurgitating shit they grew up on..which was shit.

They all have that "first week in the garage" sound...Yeah, we suck good enough play with those other sucky bands and maybe we'll score!

YEAHHHH..WE SUCK SO MUCH ..WE'RE AWESOME!!!!
      ..I've seen those bands!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

They hardly exist anymore. Around here there's only 3 kinds of bands: bland punk, bland metalcore, bland alternative rock.

Of course the 'alternative rockers' get all the chicks.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Yeah, don't blame the poor sound man, he's the innocent party. I hate doing shows for kiddie bands, their parents look round at you as if to blame you for the noise coming out of FOH.
          I actually made up a sign saying "Shit In = Louder Shit Out" to prop up in front of the board, these days I send someone else to engineer kiddy bands, they are just too much like hard work.

These little twats have all the gear, just no idea. They do all the moves, just like they have seen on MTV, more intent on posing than singing into the fucking mic, standing on MY expensive wedges, slinging MY mic stands about. (They don't look so cool when I clamber up onstage in the middle of a number and deliver a first class bollocking and warn them what will happen if they carry on like that)

It all started to go downhill after Kurt Cobain appeared looking like he had shit his pants with his fucking hair over his face. Knob-end.

Of course when I was a youth I knew it all.
          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
            "Shit In = Louder Shit Out"

THANKYOU!!

you just made my day

Comment

I've noticed the same thing with newer bands I've seen. No talent is the best way to describe them. They don't want to listen and they think they're right. The music and the playing flat out SUCKS!

What happened to to each generation getting better than the previous? I know this makes me old but the 70's & 80's were the best! Great players, great music and awesome shows!

Stepping off soapbox.
              "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
              I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

There are some young people that can play. These kids though are content to just goof around and have fun. They aren't trying to sound good. It's a matter of priorities.

I personally don't want my band to play on a stage until we have our shit relatively together, but that's just me.

Comment

Maybe because I grew up in the 80s and was playing clubs back then. We had a huge system including lights as everybody did back then that was playing the A clubs. When every my band opens for another band they think we are completely nuts. We bring in our racks and set up our monitor system. Then the open act show up 30 minutes before the show with an 8 channel powered mixer a couple of little speakers the size of one of our monitors. We just hand them a left and right and we have everything already mixed and ready to go. They may think we are crazy but we always bring our A game.

A couple of the bands last night were not bad but most of them were. And I do have to give them credit for being out there and giving it their all. But it was still pretty painful.

One of the better bands bass player was jumping around like there an ant hill on his side of the stage. He kept landing on his cord and unplugging himself. I wanted to go on stage and teach him how to plug in a guitar. I didn't of course. I will let him keep replacing his input jack and supporting our local music stores.
                  Just one more guitar!

Comment

You know what they say about audio? "10% of the show, 90% of the problem"... HA! That's a TV term but it fits here too...
                    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      You know what they say about audio? "10% of the show, 90% of the problem"... HA! That's a TV term but it fits here too...
                      Ha! Well, you know what us Noise Boys say about TV (Transvestite?) crew don't you?

A. Anything we like, they have their heads so far up their own arse they wouldn't hear!!
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 10-12-2008, 10:25 PM.
                        Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
                          At least they're writing their own stuff. Very few cover bands ever get signed, even less have any modicum of success. Other than NRBQ (who do originals too) and modern day pop Tin Pan Alley style singers, what cover band has done squat? Dread Zeppelin? Elvis impersonators? Stars on 45?
                          Me First and the Gimme Gimmes...

(Not very sucessfull but cool anyway)
                          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Texasfury, were you playing last night?

I am not looking to get signed. I just want to go play and give the people a quality show. I think most club goers would like to hear music they know. As you know most of the original bands don't have enough material to play a 4 hour gig. That is why they have a bunch of bands play in one night and none of them get paid. Personally I like getting paid. Playing for free is for the 15 year olds that can't follow a blues riff but think they can write songs.
                            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
                              At least they're writing their own stuff. Very few cover bands ever get signed, even less have any modicum of success. Other than NRBQ (who do originals too), parody artists and modern day pop Tin Pan Alley style singers, what cover band has done squat? Dread Zeppelin? Elvis impersonators? Stars on 45?
                              Hayseed Dixie?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X