Original bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
    At least they're writing their own stuff. Very few cover bands ever get signed, even less have any modicum of success. Other than NRBQ (who do originals too), parody artists and modern day pop Tin Pan Alley style singers, what cover band has done squat? Dread Zeppelin? Elvis impersonators? Stars on 45?
    The Australian Pink Floyd Show does international arena tours. They were at Werchter too (headliners).
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I'm 15 and i'm in a band with my mates and we do an awful lot of gigs with the kind of bands you've been talking about, they really do piss me off. We went with some people called Justice Promotions a while back and we really didn't know what we were getting ourselves in for, the promoter actually emailed us and tried to give us "tips" being a better band, and he would favour all the cocky little bands who do little jumps and think they know it all... (you know the type... uses a wireless when playing in a skittle alley, stands on their little solid-state combo to play the opening lick to sweet child of mine.)

This promotor told us to be more like these bands and said in emails things like "try getting the audience to clap and sway". We were just thinking "Have you heard our music!?" (www.myspace.com/fromthedeep by the way)

I can't really say too much because i am in a younger band and we do get grouped with these bands but there is nothing we hate more than having to gig with arrogant young bands.

Comment

Tell the promoter to suck your balls unless you are doing a gig at a youth club. Punters want to hear SONGS, and MUSIC, not watch kiddies mucking about. We've seen The Who, Sex Pistols, etc, going mental onstage, why would we be impressed by some snot-nosed brats trying to imitate them?

Arrogance is fine (up to a point) if you have the material and talent to back it up, you won't get anywhere if you don't have total self-belief. Make sure you are fucking hot before you start bragging that you are, or you just look like a twat.

BTW robfromthedeep, nice plug there for your band, you have the right idea! (Haven't actually listened to it, but I mean about shameless self-promotion)
        Last edited by Rsmacker; 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

"Tell the promoter to suck your balls unless you are doing a gig at a youth club"

Fuck yeah..I say that to everbody..why not..It's alot of laughs!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. It is just this is my biggest pet peeve. Where I live there are a lot of really talented musicians. And many of them deserved to be recognized. I like all kinds of music. Even stuff my friends say suck. So I think I have an open mind about things. Maybe I should just me more selective when I go out to watch a band.
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
            X