Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can ANYONE actually sing in metal anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
    that fireball group with gus g. dragon force's singer is really cool, sully erna from godsmack. but i totally agree with you rob, "no one" knows how to sing anymore.
    Firewind

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    Have you not listened to a lot of Pantera? Phil has a great voice and can sing melodically when he wants to.
    Cemetary Gates comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Have you not listened to a lot of Pantera? Phil has a great voice and can sing melodically when he wants to.

+1

Cemetary Gates, This Love and Hollow...still send shivers up my spine when he belts it out on those tunes. It did kinda seem like as the years went by the more tattoos he got and the "harder" he became he started to yelp and growl more than sing,but he's really got a voice on him, that's for sure.

The dude from Killswitch Engage can belt it out too.

So can the drummer from Atreyu, they should just have him sing IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
        Firewind

something like that........
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Corey Taylor (Slipknot / Stone Sour) has a great voice - yeah, Slipknot doesn't give him much chance to show it, but check out some of Stone Sour's music, even the cover of 'Wicked Game'....
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

warrel dane from nevermore is an amazing singer...
            i would agree: howard jones from killswitch...
            when he actually is singing, phil labonte from all that remains can hit some high notes quite gracefully...but then again he also does the cookie monster on occasion...
            +1 on kamelot singer

Comment

Originally posted by Evol View Post
              +1

Cemetary Gates, This Love and Hollow...still send shivers up my spine when he belts it out on those tunes. It did kinda seem like as the years went by the more tattoos he got and the "harder" he became he started to yelp and growl more than sing,but he's really got a voice on him, that's for sure.

The dude from Killswitch Engage can belt it out too.

So can the drummer from Atreyu, they should just have him sing IMO.
              I think Phil blew his voice out around the mid 90s. I saw a few concerts around the FBD and TGSTK era. He pretty much screamed the whole time...when he did sing I think it was pretty horrible. I have a bootleg video where they do Planet Caravan....it was embarassingly horrible. But he was pretty amazing in the early 90s.

Comment

You guys heard my singer on that 4 track tape recording, no protools, no digital BS..a fuggin' casette recording..right?

he was the reason why his old band was signed to Massacre records, and why Rippers's guitarist wants to do a project with him in the worst fuggin' way..he's also in a cover band and nails everything he covers to a T...from Coverdale, Dio, Staley, Cornell, Lemmy, Halford, Barlow to the Beatles..you name it, he does it..I could post the link.//This is my bro Ty Cook singing some top 40 shit.. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=106274985

and..If you ever told him he sounded anything like Ripper..you'd have a black eye..he's sensitive about that shit!

Tell you what, you want to hear GOOD metal vocals..go to page 7 in the MP3 section..Bills Z Bub's Bed Of Nails..check out the songs "FATHER FELON" and "SCAPEGOAT" but he could throw down death vox too on "High speed death Roll"..the guitar and drums were done live in my basement with cheap ass mics..he did the vocals in one day..I'll take my dude over anything mentioned on this thread, and give my left nut to keep it that way..and I love Dane and Khan!!!

Fuggit..I'll bring it..here it is..it tells you how and why this was recorded..Ty and Me.. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42804

I must have done something right because a established local band John, Ty and I know ripped off my riff to Father Felon..they didn't rip off Slayer, Outworld, or Symphony fuggin' X ..fuck noooo, nah, rip me the fuck off..that dumbfuck..those blogs are still on Myspace..fuggums!

BTW.. I hate that dude from KWE..Foooooo Solice...Foooo Comfort"...Oh my hell.

personally, I wouldn't even consider playing with that dude..fuck no!

The singer I had 10 years ago wasn't too shabby either..

Vocals are 50% of your music..even if your band is 100% (A+)..but your singer totaly blows ass at 49% (F-)..that lowers your score to 50% at the most..which is a (F+)
                Last edited by horns666; 08-20-2007, 11:38 PM.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I am still in love with Kai Hansen.

Comment

There's TONS of great Metal singers out there. Russel Allen from Symphony X, Stu from Into Eternity (as guitarsjb mentioned), the standard guys (Dio, Halford, Dickinson, etc), Hansi from Blind Guardian, Tim Owens, Andreas Hedlund (Vintersorg, Borknagar), etc.
                    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

You know, as much as I like Hansi on the records, he has sounded like SHIT every time I've seen BG live.

I also really dig Tony Kakko from Sonata Arctica.
                      Last edited by Argos; 08-21-2007, 12:04 AM.

Comment

shit, this old whinge again? Must be that time of the month
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire View Post
                          There's TONS of great Metal singers out there. Russel Allen from Symphony X, Stu from Into Eternity (as guitarsjb mentioned), the standard guys (Dio, Halford, Dickinson, etc), Hansi from Blind Guardian, Tim Owens, Andreas Hedlund (Vintersorg, Borknagar), etc.
                          Ty Cook, Jorne Lande, Mats Levens..ummm Ty Cook.

Tim Owens.."Screeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaam machhiiiiiiiiine...can't you hear meeeeeee Screeeeeeeeeeaaaaam"..Yes Tim, we do..ALOT!:ROTF:

You said that just punch me in the balls didn't you!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            shit, this old whinge again? Must be that time of the month
                            G..you tell 'em Bro..there was always an infinite sea of talented fuckers..you just have to look for it..it won't come looing for you...unless you settle pop music.

We found them before all the samples you get online..now investigating good bands and talent is just a couple clicks away..It's never been easier..I can't keep uop with all the great bands out there..the vast sea that always existed just got much larger with the Mespace and all the metal sites..yeesh..it's haed not to find talent..

Before we looked at a cover of a record because we liked the artwork, bought it and hoped for the best..that was it G...remeber that shit!!

we were pissed when it sucked and happy as if we struck gold if we discovered a brand new metal band!!!

There is no risk anymore..you can sample everything before you buy it these days..even tho that's good a good thing..it's kind of takes that element of surprise away doesn't it..just a little..I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              G..you tell 'em Bro..there was always an infinite sea of talented fuckers..you just have to look for it..it won't come looing for you...unless you settle pop music.
                              every couple of months we get some old fart complaining here about the state of metal, be it the songs, the singers, the image, whatever. And what they say is true - if you rely on MTV & radio to bring you new music.

So a few of us will provide them with a bunch of current bands that should satisfy their criteria, but they don't want to hear it anyway. Facts just get in the way of their rant.

Before we looked at a cover of a record because we liked the artwork, bought it and hoped for the best..that was it G...remeber that shit!!
                              sure do! Still don't know why I bought Y&T's In Rock We Trust, with that goofy cartoon robot on the cover.. But I'm glad I did!

There is no risk anymore..you can sample everything before you buy it these days..even tho that's good a good thing..it's kind of takes that element of surprise away doesn't it..just a little..I think so.
                              ...and yet folks still complain that there isn't anything good out there.

"Here are some good bands with "proper" singing. I've even provided links so you can sample their tunes on MySpace!"

"no thanks. That would require that I click on a link & press play on a webpage. Plus it would divert me from my true focus. Which is to whine about the state of music today. Why aren't there any good singers like the good old days? Guys like Bret Michaels, Stephen Pearcy & all those other jumping-off-the-drum-riser, scissor-kicking DLR wannabes"
                              Last edited by VitaminG; 08-21-2007, 01:06 AM.
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

I cant find ANYONE locally that can cut it... Bill, I heard your Bed Of Nails demo a while ago and LOVE the vocals... but thats what Im talking about, I cant find that around here. Trust me, Ive been trying, but I just dont know where to look any more.

Ive heard so many bands who are amazing musically... and then the singer comes in and totally ruins it.
                                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                                X