Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can ANYONE actually sing in metal anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our singer, Erika, actually SINGS, and we're metal. I think she's pretty amazing. Go to www.IGNITOR.org or myspace.com/ignitor and see what you think.

My feeling is that there are lots of metal front-people that actually sing, but so much of it is mixed with the throaty/growly stuff. I'll tell you what though, the gutteral emanations beat the crap out of that whiny vomit-core crap they call punk these days.

Comment

It's hard enough to start a metal band where the singing is normal, let alone find someone who can sing well. Until we get some decent songs written with a full instumental band, my bass player and I are just doing the vocals ourselves.

Comment

Chuck Billy's voice has only gotten better over the years!
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I agree theres a need for some more "real" singers. the cookie monsters must go.

Some I like -
          Ray Alder. Maynard James Keenan, Michael Akerfeldt, I do Like Jared Leto too but you cant really call 30 seconds to Mars metal, hah. The dude from Nothingface has/had a cool sounding voice IMO. Howard from KSE, Warrel Dane, Geof Tate, Cristina Scabbia. and did I mention Ray Alder

Mike Portnoy..... NOT!

Comment

Vintersorg and Vortex have the two best voices in metal in my opinion (yes, I like Borknagar....alot), but I prefer Vintersorg's solo stuff (especially the tunes in Swedish), and Vortex's Borknagar and Arcturus stuff as opposed to his increasing rare vocal appearances in Dimmu.........just my opinion, these are the guys whose vocals I "feel" as opposed to just "enjoy".....if that makes any sense.......
            I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Comment

tobias sammett from edguy has a great voice too. a lot like dickinson. while his voice is a little gravely, andi deris is another with a decent singing voice....as does david readman from PC69 - though they are more AOR than metal...
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                tobias sammett from edguy has a great voice too.
                +1!
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                  Howard Jones from Killswitch Engage is actually a very good singer.
                  +1 on that! And i agree that 90% of everyone is just gutteral throat
                  tearing

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                    +1 on that! And i agree that 90% of everyone is just gutteral throat
                    tearing
                    Robert..ahhh shit..I will get back to you..the wife is beckoning me with a voice that makes Lemmy sound like Britney!..fuck!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by outsider666 View Post
                      Vintersorg and Vortex have the two best voices in metal in my opinion (yes, I like Borknagar....alot), but I prefer Vintersorg's solo stuff (especially the tunes in Swedish), and Vortex's Borknagar and Arcturus stuff as opposed to his increasing rare vocal appearances in Dimmu.........just my opinion, these are the guys whose vocals I "feel" as opposed to just "enjoy".....if that makes any sense.......
                      Did you just say that you borked a negro while riding the Vortex and blew an artery in your anus?

What is up with those goofy names?

Comment

Some of Phils work with Down was pretty good. Phil can be a great singer when he wants to be. I got one of their albums and was suprised to actually here him singing. A lot of the later Pantera stuff was just screaming which I never really got into.

Primal Scream are another good metal band. Probably one of my favourites of the newer type metal bands(as opposed to priest, maiden etc). The lead singer has a style very close to Halford, Dickinson which isn't a bad thing. Especially when I hear bands for the first time playing heavy music and then the singer starts to growl, I'm like fuck this where's my Number of the Beast cd.

Comment

Good singers are hard to find. Always have been. It's not easy, and it's not something you can really learn. You either have it or you don't...

Todays music has made it possible for marginal singers to be popular. But that may be due to the lack of really good singers...

Back in the 80's there were questionable singers too. Don Dokken anyone? Sure he was strong in the studio, but live? Meh... The dude from White Lion? No thanks. David Lee Roth? Again, good in the studio but live? Well, it was all about his stage presense then anyway. I'll probably get flamed for this one but Tom Queefer from Cinderella I thought sucked balls too. The pre cursor to the Cookie Monster. Stephen Pearcy? Interesting singing style, I wouldn't call him a great singer though, but he sounded pretty good when I saw him last month. Some good singers don't sing anymore, John Corabi anyone???

So since good singers are rare, alot of bands went with questionable singers just to get something going. But the best way to hide a questionable singer is to make him growl...

Phil's voice did something between CFH and FBD. I always thought he blew it out. I loved his voice on CFH, more hair metal than metal. But after that, it started to go downhill. Still not enough for me not to like Pantera though...
                          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                            I'll probably get flamed for this one but Tom Queefer from Cinderella I thought sucked balls too.
                            Damn you, I'll have to wipe the monitor off again now!

Comment

The dude from Alter Bridge (okay, not metal) really has a good voice. Such a nice departure from Creed (blah).

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                                Did you just say that you borked a negro while riding the Vortex and blew an artery in your anus?

What is up with those goofy names?
                                Sorry.....allow me to clarify.........
                                Borknagar = Norwegian Prog/Metal band
                                Vintersorg = Andreas Hedlund (singer for Borkangar, Vintersorg, and others)
                                Vortex = the guy who sings the clean parts in Dimmu Borgir (another Norw. metal band, know of them?),I don't know his real name...he was also Vintersorg's predecessor in Borknagar.......

Better?
                                I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Comment

Working...
                                X