Anyone into trains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone into trains?

My 7 year old son is visiting England with his Grampy, and I suggested they go check out the York Railway Musuem. I used to go there frequently as a kid, and would stand in awe looking at the old steam engines. The main object of my fascination was the Mallard. Built in the 1930s, the Mallard is a streamlined steam locomotive that holds the world speed record for a steam engine to this day of 126mph. I swear, I would stand and stare awestruck at it for what seemed like hours. Apparently, Ethan did the same thing when he saw it. I wish I was there with him.

Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

I keep having this dream about a train going into a tunnel, then I wake up and find I have had a "nocturnal emission". Am I strange?
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
      I keep having this dream about a train going into a tunnel, then I wake up and find I have had a "nocturnal emission". Am I strange?
      Dude..are you like some horned up Freddy Kruger or somethin'..how did you know???!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Your lad will love it! There's plenty of other Steam train-related stuff about over here, various lines still run by enthusiasts so he could go on a trip. Depending on where in the country he is going, he should be able to find more interesting stuff, as well as that excellent museum in York.

Alas, as a kid, we were never encouraged to be interested in trains, steam or otherwise. My Grandad was a train driver, the last thing he wanted to do was talk about, look at, or take us kids anywhere near bloody trains when he finished work! They were simply WORK for him, no romance, no nostalgia, no attraction and he passed that on to us.

Eeeeh, them wuz the days, trains ran on time, and Jenny Agutter used to run along waving her red knickers at train drivers (Competition : Any non-Brits have the slightest clue what that is a reference to?)

My Ma used to live in the railway cottages next to the mainline, she said the trains used to stink, were noisy, and would shit the washing up when it was hanging on the line. The advent of electric trains was therefore bliss to her and her family!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Two best times I had train-wise. One was the site near San Berdo that had all these cars and such outside. The other is in Sacremento (I can't spell anymore) . Works of fucking art, I say.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I used to go with my dad to the railway museum in Union IL. When i was younger. We both got into model trains too. I still have the layout set up in my moms basement. And it still works. We started out with a little 8x4 ft layout. Then he said "hey lets make it bigger" I said OK lets. So we did. We made it 10X14 then went down the wall to the end and down the other wall. Which then my dad designed a spiral to compensate for the grade and not take up the entire basement to get back to the main level of the layout. LOL That thing was cool. He'd get more excited about than i would. I miss my dad.
            Gil

Comment

When i was young (10-15) i had a complete set of Marklin trains, with a big mountain where trains ran through and over, an underground section, a big 5 rail trainstation and 3 trains running.
              It was on a big 5 by 10 meter table, and the cables to control the railway switches and city lights underneath the table were like spaghetti . Great times i had.
              Someday when i have a big house i'll start that hobby again, it's great.

Comment

How about this place then:

http://www.willys-mb.co.uk/strategic-reserve.htm

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                X