Pit Bulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pit Bulls

Just what is it going to take to BAN pit bulls and have every single one of them confiscated? http://www.kirotv.com/news/13943140/detail.html
    I am a true ass set to this board.

I predict this thread will go nowhere...

You'll have 1 side saying it's the owners that make them dangerous...

You'll have the other side saying they are a dangerous breed...

I don't know what the answer is but something must be done. Use to be Chows were the ones that attacked people the most, due to all the inbreeding. I fear pitbulls are going through the same thing now...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

That breed should just go away. I saw a pit attack my friend toy poodle right under my feet. That fucker just went after Petey. He attacked. If I had had a shotgun, I would have shot the bastard.
      Last edited by fett; 08-22-2007, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Sorry, Fett, but Bengal is right.
        It used to be dobermans (sp?) when I was young.

I bring my dog (Lab/Hound) to classes, and the owner has a pit bull among other dogs.
        That dog one of the most well behaved dog I've EVER seen.

(So with that said I guess I'd side with the owners)

Comment

This is a sensitive topic with Clevo-John..

It's not the poor dogs, it's the idiot owners..IMO.

Either they make the dog vicious intentially, or they just can't handle that breed..but they'r'e "cool"

Same reason why 17 year old girls have babies..'cuz they're "cute"..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I find it hard to believe that alot of pit bull owners are intentionally training their dogs to be killers. There have been numerous attacks in the last 5 years related to pit bulls. I doubt that every one had an owner that treated them like shit or what ever you have to do to a dog to get it to do this kinda shit...

What I think it is is a boom of popularity, causing more breeding. With more breeding comes inbreeding which causes genetic issues. One of those genetic issues can be over aggressiveness. Thats where I think the problem lies. I've read several accounts of owners of pit bulls that have attacked people and they say that the dog was a sweetheart but at that point, he just snapped. They didnt' raise him like that. So that testimonial lends itself to the genetic malfunction theory...

I don't know why people would want to take that chance. For a dog? Not me...

Comment

That is exactly what I was going to say. Beer run.:ROTF: The owners just don't understand the primal urge for these dogs to attack.

Comment

They dont train them to be killers, they just dont allow the dogs to become social creatures. I have had two pits and the only thing they ever chased with regularity was cats. Other than that they were 80 pound lap dogs that loved to be loved on. They came from different breeders but both breaders were basically set up the same. They kept their males in a dog run seperated from other dogs and their families. Those dogs were not social and I would not trust them if I came across either while walking my dog. If you keep a dog away from people and other dogs they become very antisocial. In smaller dogs this will manifest itself in a yappy dog that likes to bit your feet. Unfortunately with pitbulls you have a barking, territorial, biter that is way more efficeint than a poodle. Fett if you have cable watch the dog whisperer on national geo. The guy is a douche overall but he has some real good points when it comes to owning and raising a pitbull that I agree with. The bad thing now is that having a pit is a thug status symbol and most of that crowd are not fit to raise anything mutch less a strong animal.
                Last edited by Jason1212; 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM.

Comment

When I met my wife she have 2 pitbullss. One was the biggest sweatheart of a dog and the other had been a fighting dog before she got him. These 2 dogs were world's apart. I can say for sure it is the owners. The one only bared her teeth twice in 11 years and the other one you had to not do a LOT of things in front of him, but he was still sweat. Both played with other dogs and lived with 5 cats. If another dog (or a person for that matter) showed aggression, that is when things got interesting.
                  Last edited by Rich#6; 08-22-2007, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Rattlesnakes are social creatures. They can make a great pet until they decide to strike. It's not the owners. That's why they are so vocal about defending the breed. "My pit is a pussycat around the kids. He loves me and he's as docile as a dog can be. I just don't understand how anyone could not like this breed." That is until you hear about all the unprovoked attacks on kids; disabled ladies; adults and other dogs. Here is an analogy. If there was a "Product" out there that had so many dangerous incidents, you can bet your boots that something would be done about it. Not all cars are made the same. Some are very dangerous and steps have been taken to rectify the situation. Pit bulls are just flat ass dangerous dogs by definition.
                    Last edited by fett; 08-22-2007, 03:06 PM.

Comment

How do you explain the dogs Ving Rhames had? They killed the guy that cared for them. There were 2 dogs, 1 pit bull, I forget what the other one was. But that pit bull was allowed to socalize with another dog. So how does that come about?

Comment

They didnt do it. The bites on the man could have been out of concern. Remember dogs dont have apposable thumbs. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6957290.stm

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                          They didnt do it. The bites on the man could have been out of concern. Remember dogs dont have apposable thumbs. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6957290.stm
                          Wow, I really should have looked into that before I posted. But in my defense, which isn't much, the article does say the dogs "probably" didn't kill the caretaker...

I suppose the bites could have come from them trying to get him to wake up. Or showing some concern for the one that took care of them...

I'll try to use google before I post that kind of stuff again...

Comment

I defy you to show me another common breed of dog that has been as vicious and prone to unprovoked attacks as the pit bull.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                              I defy you to show me another common breed of dog that has been as vicious and prone to unprovoked attacks as the pit bull.
                              Check the statistics on Chows. I think they are up there too. But they can't kill as easy as a pit bull...

Comment

Working...
                              X