Strange Story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Story...

I was in chat mode with another member when I remembered this one...
    Better suited for the forum, I think:

Something I'll never forget...
    Had a lot of guitars, one evening I pulled out the Model 88 and started warmups, playing along to cd's, and I noticed it wasn't staying in tune, wasn't right, felt weird. I tuned it up (rare, this guitar can hang on the wall for months and not have to be retuned), and the intonation was off! I looked closely at the trem, feathered harmonics, just was strange, it was acting as if the neck had warped. Not wanting to deal with it right away, I hung it up and got another, hopefully more stable guitar, I was ready to play, not noodle.

That guitar didn't sound quite right,either, even after digital tuning. I normally just go by pitch and harmonics. Figuring it must be me (no, I wasn't drinking or anything), I went from the garage to the bedroom, the length of the house. I sat on the bed and was taking my sneakers off, and it felt like sweet wife had sat down on the other side of the bed. It was windy outside. Just then, I heard wife calling from the other end of the house..."What was that?" she came looking for me. I don't know...strange.

A couple minutes later some friends of ours called from two streets over asking if we were ok...seems a tornado had gone through the opposite side of the street from them, towards our house, but parallel between us.

No problem here, we said, they were skinned, no real damage.

The swath of damage was no more than 100 ft wide, but took out trees and roofs along that street.

After recovering form the shock of that, I related the story of the guitars not being right. The next day they were fine.

I suspect that the barometric pressure drop was so extreme that it affected the necks on the guitars. I just get crazy looks from friends who aren't players. Any other theories?

That 'thump' I felt on the bed was a shockwave from the tornado, apparently. No one else was in the bedroom.

I have been thru several tornados and things are strange right before they hit.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
    X