Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed - Guitar damaged in shipping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed - Guitar damaged in shipping...

Anyone ever send something and have it damaged in shipping? If so, could you PM me? I'm looking for some help/insight on the whole thing. Thanks.

How was it shipped? FedEX, UPS, or USPS? Was it insured? I would take pictures, keep the box it was shipped in and all the packing material.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

It was shipped UPS, the problem is I was the shipper. Just trying to figure out the right way to handle this, especially since the buyer is becoming increasingly difficult to both reach and deal with.

Comment

Did you insure it? If so, did you take pictures of the packaging before it was sealed up? UPS will probably deny any claim if you don't have evidence of how well, or not well, it was packed.

Comment

Sound to me that the person is trying to get a free guitar. If it was damaged during shipping and he is not willing to pay for it. Have him return it to you. I don't know if you can get the USPS involved since it was shipped UPS. Do you have pictures of the guitar before it left all packaged up?

Comment

Obviously you were paid before shipping. Hopefully you insured it. UPS will pay for the full price of the guitar and you can refund the buyer his money AND UPS will give you back your guitar.

It may be repairable , you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by heartfielder View Post
              Obviously you were paid before shipping. Hopefully you insured it. UPS will pay for the full price of the guitar and you can refund the buyer his money AND UPS will give you back your guitar.

It may be repairable , you never know.
              If he paid Paypal the buyer can get his money back because it was damaged.

Comment

Well, let me flesh out a little more of the story. It was fully insured for its value ($1200). I do not have pictures of it packed. It went from Albany, NY, to just outside of Philly in 1 day. The only thing that was damaged was the tip of the headstock. It was packed like a brick shithouse at the local UPS store, I've seen their work and they do a great job when I don't have the materials to do it myself. The guy who received it even said there was no damage to the box whatsoever. I filed a claim with UPS as soon as I heard that it was damaged, and UPS went out to pick it up the following business day (Monday). The buyer wouldn't let UPS inspect the guitar though. And still won't, a week later, till I fully refund his money. And I know how many of you guys hate UPS, though I've never had any issues with them, and have shipped somewhere around 15 guitars using them. I feel like the buyer is trying to screw me over, thats for sure. It was a great playing guitar, so I'm half tempted to just tell the buyer to ship it back and I'll get it fixed and keep it. The guitar is completely playable, just the tip of the headstock was damaged. For all I know the buyer did it too (of course I have no proof).

Also, the guitar was packed in a hardshell case (as all of the guitars I've shipped have been). It was a coffin case, which was the only case I could find locally that would deal with both the size and angle of the headstock, and the tip of the headstock was not touching the wall of the case. The body also tightly fit into the case, so there was no way the headstock could hit the wall of the case. It really is baffling.

Two things learned -
                1) never buy another coffin case again, even if the guitar fits in it fine.
                2) never trust any buyer, regardless of how good their feedback is.

Comment

My biggest fear is being out both $1200 and the guitar....supposedly the buyer has internet problems and I can only get a hold of him every 3 or 4 days, so finding out on Friday that he wouldn't let ups see the guitar on the previous Monday doesn't make me happy one bit.

Comment

I think you need to drive to philly and break a few legs With everything you said it sounds like he is trying to get a free guitar. If he has an issue with it then he should send it back..If it did get damage during shipping then he shouldn't have had an issue letting UPS in to inspect the packaging. How did he pay? Did he pay via paypal? That might be a problem. I would close that account so pp doesn't reverse the charges and you will be out the money and guitar. I would tell the buyer the only way that he is getting a refund is the guitar must be returned to you. I would also document everything because it might get ugly and even a trip to smalls claim court. You have his home phone number? Again I would close the pp account if he paid that. So you won't be out the money and a guitar. I would also have UPS right you a letter stating that the buyer refused to let them in to inspect.
                    Last edited by JetFixxxer; 08-27-2007, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately it was via Paypal. Not using Paypal anymore. I've done a ton of transactions with other people, on multiple forums, and a few on eBay, and never have had a problem before.

Comment

You need to have him ship the guitar back to you or have UPS pick it up from him. If you already filed a claim with UPS, then they will have to inspect the guitar and make a judgement on the claim. If they pay you the full value of the guitar, they will keep the guitar. How did the buyer pay? Do not refund him until you or UPS has the guitar in your possession. Something doesn't sound right if he won't let UPS inspect the guitar. Hope that helps.

Comment

Sounds like someone excitedly ripped all the packaging off their new guitar, got into a frenzy by the time he had removed yet another layer of serious packaging........whoops <clang> Oh dear, better blame the sender!

Why would he not let them in to inspect the damage, it's in his best interest, might help speed his refund up? Possibly because he knows they will take one look and tell him to fuck off. Any normal person would be pleased to let others deal with it, wash their hands of it and get their $1200 back.
                          Did he send you pics of the damage? Internet problems, my arse, he's trying to pull a fast one, tell him to kiss your sweaty nutsac.
                          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys, finally working this one out.

Comment

aldog1330: Ask the for pix of the damage from him.I think the "having trouble with internet" is BS. Like he cannot email from work? library etc?
                              He may have hit the headstock himself on something. . who know? Press him for hi-rex pix, if he has more excuses then youll know hes up to something.
                              Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Working...
                              X