Going to Alaska!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Alaska!!

I'll be flying into Anchorage the first of next month to do some inteviews down on the Kenai Peninsula. Anyone ever been? For an ol' WV boy Alaska will be a new place. I'm really excited but I'm hoping it isn't too cold!!

I've been told that there are a lot of mosquitoes, but I don't know what season they come out in.

Have fun!
    Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Enjoy!
      Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
      Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
      Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

I hope to go there myself sometime. It seems like a true wilderness.
        Scott

Comment

Damn! Mosquitoes? I was expecting moose and the like but not an abundance of bugs. Oh well.....wonder if the FAA or whomever will allow OFF on the plane...lol

Comment

I have a brother that lived in Anchorage so I visited him last summer and pretty much every day we went somewhere new on the Kenai peninsula. I'll find some pictures and put them up later.

I would recommend Seward (they have a pretty cool Seward Bay cruise you can do for some money. I think it was worth it), Homer if you have the time (its pretty far if you're staying in Anchorage), hike up Exit Glacier, too.

Bugs weren't a problem at all for me, but I went in June. Not sure what they're like now.

Comment

Ok, this first one is from the little cruise around Seward Bay

A baby moose that came up to our window while we were eating dinner

Exit Glacier

A bald eagle. These are EVERYWHERE. We found 2 trees right next to each other once that had about 15 at the same time. Really cool

This is called Russian Falls or something like that. A little 2 mile hike or so to get there. Included are my nephew and sister in law. Pics don't do this place justice AT ALL

Let me know if you want more. I have a bunch. Obviously the pics are only representations of what is out there and never truely capture it. Breathtaking landscapes out there!

Comment

I watched a movie once. Shot completely in Alaska. Man, that place is beautiful. A friend of mine took a tour where they take you all the way up to the tip of the state and you can see polar bears across on the Arctic circle.
                Sam

Comment

Damn those photos just make me want to go there more. Maybe that will be the vacation next year.
                  Scott

Comment

I've been to Alaska three times, each visit originating in Anchorage. I always went the last two weeks of July and the first week of August. Temperatures ranged from 41 degrees at night to 68 degrees during the day.

We had absolute zero problems with mosquitos or biting knats/flies until we hiked near marshes. That's when you will get covered up with them.

Like someone else said, visit Seward and Denali. You'll be blown away by the spectacular beauty. Have a great trip!
                    "POOP"

Comment

AWESOME PHOTOS!! I'll be traveling the entire Kenai Pen. We haven't decided who's going where yet (3 researchers) but we'll be in Homer, Seldovia, Anchor Point, Ninilchik, Cooper Landing, Moose Pass, and Seward. Perhaps I should shoot for the 3 latter choices I'm buying a new digital camera so I'll post pics when I return (unless I lose the damn thing!!).

**edit** post more pics

Comment

4 last ones. The rest have good memories, but aren't the greatest shots. My dad took 3 of these on a different trip I wasn't on, so I can't really say what they are for sure.

This is called Peyto Lake. I'm pretty sure its on the Kenai penn, but not sure

This looks like exit glacier (the same as above) from far away

When you drive to the Kenai penn from Anchorage, you take the seward highway. You go all the way around a pretty big lake. There are SWEET sunsets. This is an attempt at capturing it, but not too great. I actually took this one

I'm pretty sure this is a view going around that lake as well. Be sure to look all around for mountain goats, bald eagles, moose, etc.

Comment

Beautiful!
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Very nice. I especially like the fedex truck in the middle of the wilderness beauty.

Comment

Heh, yeah. FedEx rules.

That was seriously about 10 feet off the main road, though. Wildlife everywhere up there.

Comment

Working...
                              X