R.I.P. Hughie Thomasson of The Outlaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Hughie Thomasson of The Outlaws

Guitarist Hughie Thomasson of The Outlaws and later Lynyrd Skynyrd died late last night of an apparent heart attack. Rest in peace, Hughie.

For 40 years, the Southern Rock legends celebrated triumphs, endured tragedies and survived legal nightmares to remain one of the most influential and best-love

I know most here aren't necessarily into Southern rock, but this guy was one of its greatest players.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

I heard that earlier this morning. Very sad. I had never heard of him until this summer when I saw the Outlaws at Volunteer Jam with Charlie Daniels. I was absolutely blown away by Hughie.

Comment

Man, that sucks. The outlaws were a damn good band and Hughie was a great guitar player for his style. R.I.P.

Comment

Very sad news. Their version of Ghost Riders In The Sky is one of my favorite songs. Some bad-ass riffing there. R.I.P.
        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Wow, sad news indeed. I got to see them back in 1981 or 82 a couple times. I also saw them last year twice in one night at BB King's, NYC. Was planning on going to see them at BB's again in October. He was a great player and I still listen to them all the time. He will be missed. They are and always will be my favorite southern rock band.

RIP, brother.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

You Are The Show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ibI3m8EY4
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

That sucks man !! I loved them !!

RIP my friend !!!

Comment

R.I.P. bro
                The Outlaws were just in Denver and did a live version of green grass and high tides on the radio great song.

Comment

Y'all may remember that my dear friend Clyde passed away a year ago on September 10. The connection to Hughie is this:

Another dear friend of Clydes is Ean Evans, the current bass player for Lynyrd Skynyrd. Well, the way Ean got the Skynyrd gig was that he had previously played with The Outlaws and became friends with Hughie then. So when Leon died, Hughie recommended Ean for the bass player slot and he got the gig.

So I'm really feeling for poor Ean. Not only are we looking at the anniversary of Clyde's death, but now Hughie has died on neaqrly the same day a year later. Not only a dear friend of his, but his greatest benefactor in getting him into the Skynyrd band. I can't imagine how crushed he is.

I really don't know Ean, I only met him at a Skynyrd show in Gulfport in 2005 and Clyde introduced us. And I'd met him when Ean and Clyde were in a band called Five Miles High in the early 80s but he didn't remember that as we were all pretty loaded. But in the "degrees of separation" concept I sure know how he must feel right now. I've been real depressed because Clyde';s death anniversary was coming around and I imagiune Ean was feeling that even before this. It really sucks so bad, for us who loved his music. Imagine how it is for those who personally loved the man.

May God grant them peace, and may God grant Hughie eternal rest. Duane Allman is gonna have to be on his toes now, he's got some competition for baddest-ass southern rock guitarist in Heaven!
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Horse Called War View Post
                    R.I.P. bro
                    The Outlaws were just in Denver and did a live version of green grass and high tides on the radio great song.
                    http://www.thefox.com/pages/LandF.html
                    Thanks for posting that. I listened the full 11 minutes. Hey, some things never change. What a great song and there is nothing like seeing them play it live.
                    Scott

Comment

Wow......

Im Speachless....
                      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I saw that this morning...bummer! RIP Hughie!

Comment

Man,I have seen the Outlaws a bunch of times,they always put on a great show.R.I.P.Hughie,you will not be forgotten.........
                          Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

RIP. He was a killer musician.

Comment

RIP Hughie. You will be greatly missed and your music will live on forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X