Are Any Sports Fair Anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Any Sports Fair Anymore?

After watching sports for 33 years, I have been saying for the past few years (up to 10 in some cases) that watching MLB, NBA, and NFL isn't what is was when I was a kid.

Without getting into a pissing contest over defending a player (ie. Barry Bonds), or a team (ie. NE Patriots), why has sports degenerated to such a bullshit level where everytime I watch a game I have to wonder if, as a fan, i'm being screwed out of watching a fair contest?

I am slowly becoming a disgusted and jaded fan, and i'm afraid I won't be able to watch this garbage in the near future. I hope Roger Goddell, David Stern, and Bud Selig straighten out this crap in an EXTREMELY harsh and fast manor.

Sports has NEVER been fair. You just think that it was.
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

It isn't a question of are they fair anymore. Professional sports never were pure. Neither were/are the international events.

--ooops, beat me to it tex.

Comment

That's why I watch college sports. For the most part, the kids aren't going to be pros, so they are playing for the love of the game, not the almighty dollar.

It helps keep the illusion alive.
        1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
        Jackson SLATQH
        Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
        Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
        Jackson DKMGT (project)
        Kramer Focus 1000
        Ibanez SDGR Bass
        Ovation Celebrity
        Martin Backpacker

Comment

Pro sports are just boring. Now it's like four hours for a fucking football game - I am simply not willing to waste the time on that. Combined with artificial turf, tons of penalties, specialized players, etc. I'd rather mow the lawn.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
            After watching sports for 33 years, I have been saying for the past few years (up to 10 in some cases) that watching MLB, NBA, and NFL isn't what is was when I was a kid.

Without getting into a pissing contest over defending a player (ie. Barry Bonds), or a team (ie. NE Patriots), why has sports degenerated to such a bullshit level where everytime I watch a game I have to wonder if, as a fan, i'm being screwed out of watching a fair contest?

I am slowly becoming a disgusted and jaded fan, and i'm afraid I won't be able to watch this garbage in the near future. I hope Roger Goddell, David Stern, and Bud Selig straighten out this crap in an EXTREMELY harsh and fast manor.
            What NEP did isn't new it's widely done throughout. They just get caught. Who do you think ratted out the Patriots.... The coach who use to be with the Patriots... so Mangina knew what the Patriots did in the past. I don't see this as cheating. Whats the difference between somebody just looking at the defensive coordinator with a pair of binoculars and learning the play calls. I tell you the difference ones is in the rule book and the other isn't. The Jets and their fans are pissed because they got their ass's handed to them. The game I watched showed that the Jets 2ndary couldn't handle Moss. I think the Patriots are idiots for getting caught. As you can tell I'm a Patriots fan. That being said if it was the other way around I would say the same thing about the Jets. I'm a fan without blinders.
            2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
            2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
            2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
            2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
            2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
            2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
            2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
            2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
            2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
            1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
            1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Don't blame sports itself - it's really just a reflection of our society as a whole. You can see the same thing in business, politics, finance, etc. Everyone wants quick and high success with minimal effort, to the point where we "bend" our morals enough to justify cheating, lying, breaking the law etc to get there.

Dirty tricks in elections, pork barrel projects, contractor kickbacks, exploiting tax "loopholes", subprime mortgages, absurd CEO pay levels, tele-evangelists ripping off their churches and porking gay hookers, heck even Paris f*kin' Hilton's legal dramas. And if they get caught, it's the old "I thought it was OK because I interpreted it this way instead" defense.

Our society's moral fortitude is getting pretty freakin' weak. "Working hard to get ahead" is more the exception than the rule now. It's become more like "hardly working to get some head".

Comment

this is why you all need to see the light and start watching Australian Rules Football.

Hawthorn vs North Melbourne this Saturday. Carn the Hawks!!!
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Yankees Classics had a Yanks/Royals game on from the 76 ALCS 2 nights ago. I was amazed how little and out of shape the players looked.

Vass

Comment

Ralph, I couldn't agree with you more. I am in the same boat as you are. I started watching pro sports 40+ years ago. There has been a persistent breakdown of what sports should represent. I can't stand most rule changes; I can't stand the refs; I can't stand the egos; I can't stand the hype; and I can't stand the commercials. Other than that, it's great.
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

You're all fit for a straight jacket. Without sports and music, I probably would have hung myself decades ago-lol
                      *JetFixxer- I'm with you on that one, and when will you fix my deplorable broken down suckass Jets? I mean it!!!-lol
                      i got all day for Baseball, Football, and Hockey. Pro only. The thing about college that bugs me is-
                      1st down-handoff, we gained 4 yards-Band-"Ba da da da da ba ba ba daetc."
                      2md down- 8 Yard pass completed, first down!! -Band-Ba da da da da da ba ba ba etc."
                      1st down- Quarterback sacked and out cold- Band- "Ba da da da da da baba ba ba etc."
                      I can't take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Remember when a baseball game went 2.5 hours and a football game 3? Remember when traveling was more than 1 1/2 steps? Or the basketball actuallly had to bounce? Remember "Palming"? Pro sports is gotten way out of hand. It's no fun anymore. Tommy, I know you live for sports and music. You bet it and love it. However, for an average guy like me, it's lost it's luster years ago.

Comment

Do you guys remember having to get up off the couch to change channels??...:ROTF: ..... I do!!!

A~
                          All hail the 'King'
                          R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: "I want Matlock"

Comment

Macgwire and then Bonds with BS home run records.

At best, a tainted, questionable Patriots "dynasty".

The Miami Heat and Spurs winning championships with a ref on the take officiating their games.

It's truly a slap in the face of all those who played the sport before them, and the fans who invest our time, emotions, and money in merchandise on the teams and players.

Comment

Working...
                              X